Cruise prices in US dollars for Canadians

Cruizann

I am wondering why the cruise prices are now in US dollars where as for the past 5+ years they were always in Canadian dollars? Is this just a temporary situation I hope, as the Canadian dollar as I am sure everyone is aware of, is not on par with the US dollar.

I am wondering why the cruise prices are now in US dollars where as for the past 5+ years they were always in Canadian dollars? Is this just a temporary situation I hope, as the Canadian dollar as I am sure everyone is aware of, is not on par with the US dollar.

Not sure where you're getting your info from.

If you access the HAL site from Canada, you get the cruise prices in Canadian $. That hasn't changed for a long time.

You can still get prices in US$ from your TA, but because of the exchange on the $, we have booked our cruises in CDN$ for the last couple of years now.

Not sure where you're getting your info from.

If you access the HAL site from Canada, you get the cruise prices in Canadian $. That hasn't changed for a long time.

You can still get prices in US$ from your TA, but because of the exchange on the $, we have booked our cruises in CDN$ for the last couple of years now.

Could you use a VPN to access the US site? I guess it could crap out at checkout time if they filter the address.

Could you use a VPN to access the US site? I guess it could crap out at checkout time if they filter the address.

I suppose you could. So long as the site thinks you're coming from a US IP address, you'll get to the US HAL site.

I did have a URL that I used to copy and paste the CDN page into so that it would come back with the US pricing. Good tool to compare and see if there is a benefit to book in US$ vs CDN$.

Any advertising we get from HAL is in Cdn $$. We recently booked a cruise and had the choice of "returning passenger" pricing or the Anniversary sale. With today's exchange rate, the Anniversary Sale was a better deal but not by a lot.

I am currently on the Westerdam and when I accessed the HAL site for pricing on my iPad, I found US dollar pricing. When I access the site at home in Canada on my iPad I get Canadian pricing.

I am currently on the Westerdam and when I accessed the HAL site for pricing on my iPad, I found US dollar pricing. When I access the site at home in Canada on my iPad I get Canadian pricing.

The site knows you are not in Canada at the moment and that's why you see US$. When you get home, you'll see CDN$ or when you get to Vancouver. :)

It's based on the Internet address if your Internet provider. I use free software that allows me to pretend to be an America based computer.

The site knows you are not in Canada at the moment and that's why you see US$. When you get home, you'll see CDN$ or when you get to Vancouver. :)

I suspected that and I just added 30% to the cost of the cruise I was checking out. I think that is the rate HAL is using at the moment for conversion. I will check to be sure when I get to Vancouver.

I suspected that and I just added 30% to the cost of the cruise I was checking out. I think that is the rate HAL is using at the moment for conversion. I will check to be sure when I get to Vancouver.

Don't know when HAL did their last CDN adjustment, but it might be soon required again since our $ is doing a little better. I have found that HAL is about 10% less than the bank rate when establishing their CDN rates.

We look at both. Often the cruise companies use a rate that is more advantageous to cruisers than the prevailing market exchange rate. Like most multinationals, they probably hedge currency to protect them from fluctuations and to provide a competitive edge at the sales end of the business.

Things are getting a little better. Dollar is up and could go a bit further. Plus, we see cruise pricing coming down in a few areas. At least coming down in price for the cruises 60 day out or less. We did not expect to pick up a Med cruise this fall. Now, I think we have an excellent chance at doing so at a price that is in our strike zone.

Edited by iancal