Recommendation?

mufc99

So I realise there are so many options with all the different Alaskan cruises, there are a number of factors which will make us decide what to do.

Coming from Western Australia, travel time is the first - its a bit of a haul just to get over to the USA.

My wife isn't too keen on being cold, when we have other options like an Asian or Caribbean cruise.

I can sway her where that is concerned :-)

With us going to Whistler & Banff pre cruise - hopefully that will cover plenty of scenic stuff - would anybody here really recommend just one cruise & itinerary over the rest.

We are in our 50's but young with it! :-)

Agree with the Glacier Bay ship itinerary recommendation....

Here's one idea....

Fly into Calgary.... then take this 4 or 5 day one way tour that takes you to Banff and into Vancouver. http://keywesttravelandtours.com/package/mystic-mountains/

Once in Vancouver.... go on a day tour to Whistler to check out the Gondolas.

http://vancouvertours.com/tour/whistler-tour/

Then go on a 7 day return or one way cruise to Alaska.

Plan to be in Vancouver for 3 or 4 days if possible. Lots to see and do as it's bigger than all the Alaskan ports combined.

[YOUTUBE]LyOFAKRjcpo[/YOUTUBE] [YOUTUBE]NHqJf6Un5-U[/YOUTUBE] [YOUTUBE]vIvtsz1b60Q[/YOUTUBE] [YOUTUBE]EvH_ROLyUZQ[/YOUTUBE] [YOUTUBE]jBvaJ7dskBE[/YOUTUBE]

That 4 or 5 day tour sounds interesting, and would be less hassle than renting a car.

The travel agent mentioned HAL, but then said they usually cater for over 65's so we have not even looked at them! Not that there is anything wrong with over 65's! :-) I will check out their itinerarys though.

Not looked into Vancouver, apart from the place to get on the cruise - we live in a big modern city which is on the banks of a beautiful river, so we would be less likely to be too impressed - could be completely wrong! :-)

The travel agent mentioned HAL, but then said they usually cater for over 65's so we have not even looked at them! Not that there is anything wrong with over 65's! :-) I will check out their itinerarys though.

I'll speculate your agent has very little Alaska sailing experience. What you are going to find, demographics on ALL the cruise lines are going to be similar, middle aged and above the bulk, BUT ALL ages sailing. I find this a gross disservice to perpetuate this MYTH, eliminating a whole group of cruise options, an entire cruise line.

That 4 or 5 day tour sounds interesting, and would be less hassle than renting a car.

Not looked into Vancouver, apart from the place to get on the cruise - we live in a big modern city which is on the banks of a beautiful river, so we would be less likely to be too impressed - could be completely wrong! :-)

We sailed on HAL while in our 30's to AK & did not feel like everyone else was 65+ (plenty families & younger couples.)

With the north bound it is still an option, though with the extra options when we get off I was just thinking what would we really miss out on if we didnt do this or didnt do that? :-)

Same with Hubbard - would we really be missing something?

It would be great if we were retired and had tons of money, then we would do everything possible, but that isnt the case, so we were just wondering if there was a certain cruise and itinerary where most bases would be covered.

I suppose its a difficult question, like doing a tour of the US - do you go to La, New York or Miami?

The travel agent was a young girl so probably hasn't much of a clue about HAL! :-)

I guess we have to change that... a common mistake is not having enough Vancouver days to explore...

[YOUTUBE]0JpSCQUe9_k[/YOUTUBE] [YOUTUBE]rx-ClLHK3Yg[/YOUTUBE] [YOUTUBE]RJZcYalXkPg[/YOUTUBE] [YOUTUBE]k8h1oLcVWLI[/YOUTUBE] [YOUTUBE]pJdkKFNLYOE[/YOUTUBE] [YOUTUBE]jBvaJ7dskBE[/YOUTUBE]

Edited by xlxo