Help - Oceania newbee considering NAUTICA

mickey89

Considering a cruise to celebrate my 70th. birthday, the Nautica Rome to Athens at end of October is high on my list. Cruise prices have been slashed, no Role Call on CC - is there anything that I'm missing ? Appreciate any comment from seasoned Nautica cruisers, thank you for any help.

Both Nautica and Marina are our favorite Oceania ships (each for a different reason), but they may not be to your liking if your prior cruises were on larger ships with more entertainment and "distractions".

What specifically would you like to know about Nautica?

I think you missed the panicked North American passengers who cancelled anything and everything with the word "Europe" in it because of the terror attack in Brussels.

Quite correct! A lot of Americans seem to be cancelling their European cruises. Personally I still feel safer in Europe than in most American cities.

I suspect that we "Europeans" who are not quite so "panicky" will be taking advantage of the late special offers due to American cancellations. I had an email from a TA today with an incredible price for a June Marina cruise. Sadly I have other holiday commitments too close to that cruise to take advantage of that fabulous offer, but I'm hoping there may be more to come.

I visited yesterday an American relative who has been living in Berlin for 20 years or more. I asked how life is in Berlin these days. They are in a neighborhood where a number of migrants are being housed, and she hasn't seen much difference. She also doesn't see much intermingling between the new people and Berliners, however. But she's not particularly frightened.

Her husband is an entertainer who was in Brussels rehearsing for a show the day before the attacks. Fortunately for him he was staying with one of the cast members in Brussels who made arrangements for David to take the train to Rotterdam and fly back to Berlin from there. Had he been there on his own it might have been a different story. (I don't mean that he could have been in danger particularly, but it could have been much more difficult to figure out how to leave Brussels.)

Mura

Thanks for comments, never realised the fear factor was so strong in the states especially with your gun culture. Checked the US price for the same cruise was $9100 for A2 balcony cabin and was astonished to have just paid $4450 for the same cabin with $800sbc.

Looking forward to this cruise. Our most recent experience has been with Celebrity but with the food standards deteriorating so much, a change was necessary.

I think you missed the panicked North American passengers who cancelled anything and everything with the word "Europe" in it because of the terror attack in Brussels.

Highly doubt that the cancellations are because of panicked Americans cancelling. It is more likely that any cruise that had "Athens" in it was originally going to more desirable Istanbul and also included stops in Ephesus and other Turkish ports.

Edited by PaulMCO

Nautica is a great ship. You will love Oceania if you love good food, excellent service and activities that suit you. We love the super lectures, small group entertainers and trivia. It does not have the huge production shows of the big ships, but neither does it have the chaos of the big ships. It depends what you want.

Add: Canadians cancelling because of low dollar:(