12 Days to Reach Australia: Good Old Days??!!

For those who might want to complain and/or worry about the long, long distances to reach locations such as southern Africa and/or Australia, this profile and reporting from the London/UK Daily Mail today might offer some "perspective".

They have this part of a headline: "12-day flight to Brisbane in the 1930s to the digital age" with these highlights: "Almost 100 years' worth of rare British Airways maps have been compiled into a fascinating new book. Mapping The Airways reveals the intriguing charts that guided aviators. From early advertisements for routes from London to Paris to state-of-the-art on-board moving maps, the 160-page book reveals 92-years' worth of intriguing aviation history."

This story has this key summary: "This map demonstrates two of the furthest Imperial Airways routes in the 1930s. London to Brisbane, for example, a trip that today takes around 24 hours to complete, took 12 and a half days and stopped off 11 times along the way. Another lengthy trip was London to Cape Town, which took at least nine days - a lot longer than today's 11-hour flight to the South African capital."

Interesting history, background details from an era when virtually none of us on these current Cruise Critic boards would have had to experience. Since the "jet era" arrived in the late 1950's, things have improved significantly!!

Full story at:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/travel/travel_news/article-3535971/From-12-day-flight-Brisbane-1930s-digital-age-Fascinating-new-book-traces-rare-British-Airways-route-maps-adverts-going-dawn-aviation.html

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

Enjoyed a 14-day, Jan. 20-Feb. 3, 2014, Sydney to Auckland adventure, getting a big sampling for the wonders of "down under” before and after this cruise. Go to:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1974139

for more info and many pictures of these amazing sights in this great part of the world. Now at 140,408 views for this posting.

Here are a couple of graphics associated with this Daily Mail reporting and the new book out on this era of international flying. First, shows the map, days required and stops in going either to Australia or Cape Town/South Africa. WOW!! That would be lots of flights and stops!! The second graphics shows one of their late 1934 promotional posters and the potential locations that this British airline could reach.:

April2016Pis1_zpsrbrpau6j.jpg

April2016Pis2_zpspbcd6ecj.jpg

In the 1930s my Grandfather was a land based navigator for those Clipper Ships (actually the aircraft pictured in TLCOhio's info)as they transited the Pacific. He was based in Hawaii, my mother was born there, and they were there when Pearl Harbor was bombed.

In those days, the Clipper Ships made numerous stops going from San Francisco to Manila, stopping at Honolulu (12 hours from SF), Guam, Midway and a few other islands. I think they also eventually went to Australia. I think it took 7 or 8 days to get to Australia.

Now it is 14 hours from SFO or LAX, and people complain. Of course, there were actual beds on the Clipper Ships.

Edited by CruiserBruce

In the 1930s my Grandfather was a land based navigator for those Clipper Ships (actually the aircraft pictured in TLCOhio's info)as they transited the Pacific. He was based in Hawaii, my mother was born there, and they were there when Pearl Harbor was bombed. In those days, the Clipper Ships made numerous stops going from San Francisco to Manila, stopping at Honolulu (12 hours from SF), Guam, Midway and a few other islands. I think they also eventually went to Australia. I think it took 7 or 8 days to get to Australia. Now it is 14 hours from SFO or LAX, and people complain. Of course, there were actual beds on the Clipper Ships.

GUT2407: Would love to have tried the clipper ships

Agree 100% that it would have been fun to have tried and traveled on one of those famed "Clipper Ships". Appreciate the very interesting background and family connections from CruiserBruce. It was a long' date=' long ways across that Pacific Ocean, especially as those distances made finding re-fueling sites challenging.

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio[/font']

AFRICA?!!?: Lots of interesting and dramatic pictures can be seen from my latest live/blog at:

http://www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2310337

Now at 12,096 views for this reporting and visual sharing that includes Cape Town, all along the South Africa coast, Mozambique, Victoria Falls/Zambia and Botswana's famed Delta area.

Took 3 days and nights this year to fly to Auckland and return from Sydney.Cuts down on jet lag and enjoyed being able to stretch out and catch a few hours sleep.Our holiday took a bit more planning but would do it again.

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app