Foreign Currency

My husband and I are doing a B2B in June, going to Norway, then the Baltic Sea cruise. We're visiting several different countries, all with different currency. Does anyone know if the front desk of the Star will exchange US dollars for whatever country we might be in? Someone had mentioned in the Holland America forum that HAL does this, and we're wondering in NCL does?

Also, we have several excursions booked through NCL. We usually tip the tour guide, does anyone know if they will take US dollars, or do they prefer their own currency?

And in major cities, are US dollars accepted anywhere? We're going to St. Petersburg, Stockholm, Copenhagen, Helsinki, Talinn (SP?), Warnemunde, and several Norway stops (most of the Norway stops look to be smaller towns, so will have kroner for those).

Thanks!

I've not cruised in Europe but I have traveled over much of it. I would assume the locals would highly appreciate their tip in their local currency. Otherwise they will have to exchange the dollars into their money - incurring whatever service charge there might be. Why put them through that? Dollars are useless unless exchanged. If I were doing this cruise I would exchange some money into each currency I would expect to need along the way - if you do the exchanges in one stop the service charge won't be as much as if you do it in individual exchanges each country.

If someone were coming from any of those countries to the U.S. what advice would you give? Someone wouldn't be able to use Euros here, so why would you try to use dollars there? I'm not meaning to be rude, but I've seen this question before and I don't understand why some Americans think our currency would be accepted in another country...??? If someone came to the U.S. and took a tour and tipped their guide in Euros, I'm sure their guide would have something to say about it! LOL.

I've done a Baltic cruise and purchased from my bank a small amount of each currency before the cruise and then when I needed more, I used a local ATM. I wouldn't exchange currency on the ship. As others have mentioned, you'll get a poor exchange rate. It's convenient, but so is an ATM--it's not difficult to find one.

I hope you have a wonderful cruise.

Great question I am leaving in 4 weeks and am I better off to exchange dollars for euros before I go or go to the bank in Barcelona and do an exchange

Thanks

It just depends on the exchange rate you can get whether you're "better off." I always have some Euros on hand because I travel to Europe almost every year. But, if you don't have any and your bank doesn't give a good exchange rate, just go to an ATM as soon as you get there. You typically get the best rate by using a local ATM.

We pulled cash from ATM's on shore when we did our Baltic cruise this past September. However, in Russia, we tipped in either Euros or US, can't remember which one. We paid for our tour with credit card. In Russia, I don't believe they mind getting Euros or US dollars because I believe they can purchase more with that currency than their own since I don't think the ruble is doing that well.

We pulled cash from ATM's on shore when we did our Baltic cruise this past September. However, in Russia, we tipped in either Euros or US, can't remember which one. We paid for our tour with credit card. In Russia, I don't believe they mind getting Euros or US dollars because I believe they can purchase more with that currency than their own since I don't think the ruble is doing that well.

Yes, we paid for our tour in Russia in U.S. dollars (had forgotten about that) because we booked with an independent and they requested U.S. dollars or Euros for payment. I took cash in order to pay for that specific tour.

For clarification, that was only the tour guide and only because they specifically requested we do that. None of the stores we visited accepted U.S. dollars.

We stayed in Russia twice in 2008 and 2009 and at that time it was illegal to use US dollars in shops, cafes etc (some places would take them "under the table"). It appears things have changed since then...

And the reason I ask is because countries we have visited, and we've been to many, the US dollar is preferred, for the most part. As far as ATM's, we are not comfortable using them, but sounds like that is the way to go.

Thanks, everyone!

We did not pay for anything in Russia. Our tour guides handled all transactions involving money - entrance to museums, food at restaurants, etc. We paid her back with I guess US dollars or Euros. Sorry I didn't specify that earlier.

Sorry, I cannot be of any help in answering your question. I just wanted to post that we live in Southern Ontario and cross the border into Michigan several times a year and Americans come to Canada and own many cottages in our area. While our Canadian stores and private businesses accept US money all the time and offer some sort of premium for their money, businesses in Michigan will not even take 5, 10 or 25 cents in change from us Canadians. They really look at it as a foreign object or "funny money". When cruising in the US or Caribbean we have often thought about tipping in Canadian money (only as a joke), but ALWAYS ALWAYS tip in US dollars. That being the case, I would assume that you should do the same when travelling abroad to your foreign destinations.

Anyways, happy travels and a safe journey to all!

I did quite a bit of research on this prior to the cruise. And while there are plenty of options to get currency exchanged, I found it to be MUCH cheaper to do it here in the states prior to the trip.

However there is a saying that the closer you get to the runway the higher the cost.

Not sure if you have access to a Wells Fargo Bank, but they offer currency exchange at a very fair price, and do not insist that you are an account holder. I do believe that they appreciate a days notice to make sure that they can accommodate you. In my case, I went in and exchanged as mjuch as they would allow me, but not as much as I wanted to take on the trip. However, they simply asked that I come back the next day to get more, as they did not have enough to cover my request on hand, but would get more from a different branch overnight.

And they also will exchange any left over funds when you return.

They were so friendly and nice, if I had been in need of banking services or if I had a desire to leave my credit union, I would surely consider them.

We double checked at the Miami airport and Barcelona airport and the savings were substantial.

I did quite a bit of research on this prior to the cruise. And while there are plenty of options to get currency exchanged, I found it to be MUCH cheaper to do it here in the states prior to the trip.

However there is a saying that the closer you get to the runway the higher the cost.

Not sure if you have access to a Wells Fargo Bank, but they offer currency exchange at a very fair price, and do not insist that you are an account holder. I do believe that they appreciate a days notice to make sure that they can accommodate you. In my case, I went in and exchanged as mjuch as they would allow me, but not as much as I wanted to take on the trip. However, they simply asked that I come back the next day to get more, as they did not have enough to cover my request on hand, but would get more from a different branch overnight.

And they also will exchange any left over funds when you return.

They were so friendly and nice, if I had been in need of banking services or if I had a desire to leave my credit union, I would surely consider them.

We double checked at the Miami airport and Barcelona airport and the savings were substantial.

I've been a WF customer for many years, and that's where I got my currency for my Baltic trip. I didn't know they offered the service to non-customers. You must live in a larger city than I do--my branch had to order everything except the Euros I wanted to buy.

I felt their exchange rate was good in comparison to the published rates at the time. Not as good as I could get from local ATMs, but good enough that it amounted to only a few dollars less than I would have gotten had I waited and I had the peace of mind knowing I had the variety of currency I would need. When you say it was better than at the airports, are you talking about the currency exchange offices in the airports? If so, I agree it's substantial. I would never exchange currency at those airport "shops" unless it were some sort of currency-exchange emergency ;) as the fees they charge outweigh the convenience IMO.

And the reason I ask is because countries we have visited, and we've been to many, the US dollar is preferred, for the most part. As far as ATM's, we are not comfortable using them, but sounds like that is the way to go.

Thanks, everyone!

I didn't see this response earlier. Has most of your travel been in the Caribbean? I haven't been there in years (hate the heat) but know that I never had to exchange currency to visit there as USD was good in all the ports we visited. I live close enough to Canada that I've traveled there many times and the first stop across the border is always at an ATM; though some border stores may take USD, we travel farther in and need Canadian currency. :D

Is your concern about the ATMs that they aren't safe? Or that someone will accost you? I'm always a little nervous when I'm traveling and have to use an ATM and I choose the ATM carefully (well, I do that here, too) so that I can see if someone is coming up behind me. The usability of them is just like in the U.S. and I've never had one that didn't have English as an option, so they're very easy to use. They spit out this funny colored paper that looks nothing like money. LOL You just need to look at the symbols on your card which will tell you which network(s) your bank is partners with and and look for the same symbol on the ATM. I've never had trouble finding a machine--most are connected to multiple networks.

Have a great trip!

The one trip I used an ATM I got hacked and cap 1 bless them dragged their feet in reimbursing me....but that might have been due to the idiot that worked in their fraud Dept compounded with a branch Mgr who was afraid of losing his job.

Finally got it settled thanks to the very competent head teller that took the time to call fraud Dept ....6 weeks into the odyssey and lit a fire under them. Lol

FYI...I discovered the hack within an hour of it happening as I had hotel wifi and wanted to check the Venice transaction. Called cap 1 fraud immediately and of course they blocked the acct and fortunately as soon as I saw the hack I transferred all remaining cash to the savings portion....which I purposely do not have my ATM activated for....for safety purposes

But I digress.

I too thought I chose well regarding ATM in Rome and Venice. The Venice one had 20 people on line and the Rome one was a little remote. I think the hack occurred in Rome but was only able to go thru once I used the card a second time...this time in Venice. At least that's what the bank records seem to indicate.

Fortunately as a big planner I had plan b/c/d at the ready and had additional credit cards plus a completely separate checking acct ATM card at the ready

Fwiw I really didn't even need extra cash as I brought plenty from home lol

Posters will disagree but IMHO...get cash from home....use credit cards whenever possible....prepay as much as you can...but definitely do not prepay anything that you can pay by credit card upon arrival....like pre and post cruise hotels

Edited by luvtheships

As they say Tallahassee, FL is a small town of nothing but strip malls!

May not be totally true, but there is no skyline, and with the State Government and 3 colleges, there would be nothing!

But we do have Wells Fargo....and one branch had pretty much everything, and the other branches in town drew from them, I believe.

I used them for quite a bit, as we had a group going, and I exchanged for everyone prior to the trip, as they were coming in from everywhere.

Thanks, everyone!

Could you please list the Europe countries that prefer dollars?

Some find it insulting, actually.

I asked my group to simply think about taking the Euros home with them and attempt to use them at the grocery or restaurant. Fat chance of that happening. Kind of smacks of the "arrogant or Ugly American" of the olden days.

There are exceptions though in more of the third world countries, like in the Caribbean or Mexico. Probably because you could not carry around enough pesos with you.

The closer your exchange rate is to being on par with each other, the more likely they would prefer their own currency

Could you please list the Europe countries that prefer dollars?

If a country's currency is Euros, then no, they do not prefer dollars. We're visiting one country that uses Euros, and we will use Euros or credit cards. The other 6 countries each have their own currency. With that said, I'm looking for advice from other people that have cruised Norway and the Baltic.

I believe when we were in St petersburg, the tourist shop we were taken to had prices in euros and dollars, the shop assistant was quite shocked when we went to pay in rubles☺ but this was because it was a tourist shop. Honestly if you pay in dollars in any shop in Europe you are going to get a terrible exchange rate, including on the ship. All our cards in Europe are chip and pin so I just use my debit card as there are no additional charges, my local bank allows me to change small amounts so I might change €30 enough for coffee and lunch. Any big purchase goes on my credit card. It is extremely rare in Europe where a shop or restaurant won't take visa or Mastercard. So don't over think it.

I exchanged dollars for euros on the Jade last years. The rate want great and I was charged $10 for it, but it was the easiest option at that moment. We are also doing Norway and I got money for AAA and plan on doing the rest with my MasterCard.

ATMs are the way to go. All of Europe uses pin and chip cards, although in most situations other than an ATM require no pin. We use ATMs at banks where possible incase we have a problem so we can get help. In Russia unless you are on your own (have a visa) your guide will pay in rubles and charge you in dollars. Everywhere else use local money!