Bottled Water

BirdTravels

Don't know how long until we get clean water. I have had my sink and shower running for 20 mins and still brown. Guest Services says it's a "maintenance issue". Ahhhh yeah

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Edited by BirdTravels

In a strange kinda way, I'm SO DAM HAPPY that happened. Everytime I, or someone else, mentions bringing a case of bottled water on board, the same crowd chimes in, and raves about the ships tap water. Well there ya have it folks!! The MINOR inconvenience of bringing water with you is well worth it!

:D :p

Personally I don't see why anybody cares if anybody else brings on bottled water or not.. I will say that I am currently in the epic and the tap water definitely does not look like that.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Don't know how long until we get clean water. I have had my sink and shower running for 20 mins and still brown. Guest Services says it's a "maintenance issue". Ahhhh yeah

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I don't get involved with whether people want to bring bottled water or not, but I will say that what you are seeing is in fact a maintenance issue. Due to the higher chlorine content in the water than shoreside supplies, the piping builds up a chlorine "scale" on the inside of the piping. When a section of the system is shut down for repairs, this scale dries out and falls off the piping, and when the water is restored, it will circulate through the ship for a time.

Yes, it looks bad, and yes, the ship should have made an announcement about this, since it seems to have been an unusually large problem (it normally clears within a couple of minutes). Virtually every ship at one time or another, and in any given cabin or another will see a temporary problem like this.

Is this a shipwide problem - or, limited to a specific section/deck ? We have had similar issues on one of our NCL cruises, a few years ago, due to blocked plumbing & after maintenance cleared the lines - it wasn't as bad (colorful) & we're advised (noticed in the cabins) to open the values & run it for a minute before using it, safe to wash & rinse.

What about the gallery, the buffet and MDR's, etc. - all of them using water & tapping the same source for food preparation and soup, etc. - can't possibly be handing out MRE's or use bottled water to wash the dirty dishes, etc. :eek: :D

DW always like to run her water sources thru the Brita filter bottle first, when possible - no matter what.

I don't get involved with whether people want to bring bottled water or not, but I will say that what you are seeing is in fact a maintenance issue. Due to the higher chlorine content in the water than shoreside supplies, the piping builds up a chlorine "scale" on the inside of the piping. When a section of the system is shut down for repairs, this scale dries out and falls off the piping, and when the water is restored, it will circulate through the ship for a time.

Yes, it looks bad, and yes, the ship should have made an announcement about this, since it seems to have been an unusually large problem (it normally clears within a couple of minutes). Virtually every ship at one time or another, and in any given cabin or another will see a temporary problem like this.

Yeah, we ran the water in the sink and shower for an hour and a half hoping to clear the water lines and it was still murky. 2 hours later water was clear with a tinge of brown. This morning water is back to being clear.

The Spirit home ports in Port Canaveral. I did not note whether they were bunkering water there. We did a port call in Key West (Navy base side) and there were no shore hook ups.

Only in Flint Michigan or Mexico. Sounds like they lost water pressure and rust formed inside the pipes but that wouldn't happen if the pipes were stainless steel, chengkp can answer that. Either way that's unexceptable.

Nearly all ship's water piping is either copper or plastic. Plastic piping is more common, as any type of metallic piping (copper or stainless, and stainless is almost unheard of) will have corrosion problems due to unique aspects of ships (long story). As I've said, this is, to me, readily identifiable chlorine scale, which will form on any type of piping, and is a phenomenon of all cruise ships due to the continual chlorine dosing and the required residual chlorine content required by USPH requirements.

We always notified cabins that would be affected when this happened. Older ships have more localized shutdowns for piping repair.