Waikiki Restaurants and Kona Beach Question

travelbugforever

We will be in Waikiki for three nights and would like suggestions for nice restaurants for dinner...$18-$25 entree?:confused:

Also, we are planning on swimming/snorkling in Kona at Kahaluu Beach Park.

I read that someone needs to sit on the beach to protect any valuables brought to the beach!:eek: Does anyone know if there is a place to lock up valuables so the whole family can enjoy the water together?

I read that a vendor brings a van with lockers for $5 daily rent at Kahaluu Beach. Are you on the Legend? If so, we also will be in Waikiki for 3 nights before the cruise. I also read that the cruisers will usually find fellow cruisers to help keep an eye on personal gear. My wife spends little time in the water whereas I am a fish.

I live on Oahu and my best finds are on Yelp! Best thing about that is the photos that people post and that you have a good idea of what they are serving.

As for the beaches, just convince yourself that someone is waiting for that opportunity to steal all your valuables. Be safe!

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

I read that a vendor brings a van with lockers for $5 daily rent at Kahaluu Beach. Are you on the Legend? If so, we also will be in Waikiki for 3 nights before the cruise. I also read that the cruisers will usually find fellow cruisers to help keep an eye on personal gear. My wife spends little time in the water whereas I am a fish.

Thanks for your response. I read that also, but it was written several years ago. No, I am not going on Legend--POA. But I have read several articles about securing items. Better safe than sorry.;)

We liked the CheeseCake Factory in Central Wakiki

We like CheeseCake Factory also...but we want to sample other more local restaurants or food. The hotel has one or two...are these all about the same or are some hotels better than others?

Outrigger Reef shows it is open air looking out on the ocean - can't beat that view. :)

We like CheeseCake Factory also...but we want to sample other more local restaurants or food. The hotel has one or two...are these all about the same or are some hotels better than others?

Outrigger Reef shows it is open air looking out on the ocean - can't beat that view. :)

We liked the CheeseCake Factory in Central Wakiki

The Outrigger Reef sounds enticing because of the view. I will check out their menu. Thanks so much!:)

Sorry for the duplicate message...I am still figuring out how to quote from two different posts.:confused:

Aloha,

I have a Doraku and Chef Chai at my condo and both are great options (Doraku is Japanese food and Chai is Hawaiian Fusion). They have locations in Waikiki and Kakaako (in between downtown and Waikiki). I've been to both more than my fair share haha. Cafe Lani just opened up in Ala Moana and it's my new favorite restaurant in HI. As others have mentioned, Yelp will be your friend. Hope you have a great time! :)

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Edited by ssaito1

Lulu's is always on our list when visiting Waikiki, and our young adult children's list. It has a view of the ocean and Kapiolani Park. Causal, great food, and Friday night entertainment is fun. We love a couple of mai tais with an order of kalua pork nachos. Lots of other good menu items and they are open for B, L, and D. We also always enjoy a burger at Duke's, and if it's a Friday late afternoon, with Maunalua playing on the patio, we are in heaven. So many good restaurants in Waikiki/Honolulu. I hope you have a great trip. Cherie

A really special restaurant, always one of the highest rated, is House Without a Key in the Halekulani Hotel. It's a magnificent outdoor setting right on the beach with great music each night at sunset, and an extensive 'pupu' menu as well as regular entrees.

The Kona beach is no different from any beach anywhere in the world - there will be shady opportunists anywhere tourists gather. We never carry any valuables to the beach that won't fit in a waterproof pouch that goes with us into the water (you can find them on Amazon (search "waterproof bag for swimming") or any dive shop. Don't know about the truck renting lockers - have never seen it in many visits there but it may be recent.

Aloha,

I have a Doraku and Chef Chai at my condo and both are great options (Doraku is Japanese food and Chai is Hawaiian Fusion). They have locations in Waikiki and Kakaako (in between downtown and Waikiki). I've been to both more than my fair share haha. Cafe Lani just opened up in Ala Moana and it's my new favorite restaurant in HI. As others have mentioned, Yelp will be your friend. Hope you have a great time! :)

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Thank you! They sound very interesting to me. Now, I am looking forward to looking up reviews on Yelp! I am anxious to taste local food!:)

A really special restaurant, always one of the highest rated, is House Without a Key in the Halekulani Hotel. It's a magnificent outdoor setting right on the beach with great music each night at sunset, and an extensive 'pupu' menu as well as regular entrees.

The Kona beach is no different from any beach anywhere in the world - there will be shady opportunists anywhere tourists gather. We never carry any valuables to the beach that won't fit in a waterproof pouch that goes with us into the water (you can find them on Amazon (search "waterproof bag for swimming") or any dive shop. Don't know about the truck renting lockers - have never seen it in many visits there but it may be recent.

House Without a Key is an intriguing name! Thanks for the wonderful suggestion.

I started to look for waterproof bags, and I suppose I will end up buying one...this way there are no worries. Again, thank you!:cool:

Lulu's is always on our list when visiting Waikiki, and our young adult children's list. It has a view of the ocean and Kapiolani Park. Causal, great food, and Friday night entertainment is fun. We love a couple of mai tais with an order of kalua pork nachos. Lots of other good menu items and they are open for B, L, and D. We also always enjoy a burger at Duke's, and if it's a Friday late afternoon, with Maunalua playing on the patio, we are in heaven. So many good restaurants in Waikiki/Honolulu. I hope you have a great trip. Cherie

Yes, Dukes is on our list for an easy night out. Lulu also sounds nice! Thank you.

I think I am in good shape now! :D