Which of these areas is better in Ft. Lauderdale for 2 nights?

Joby

We are thinking about staying 2 nights in Ft. Lauderdale (NYE & New Year's day). Which of these areas would offer the better budget choice with walk-able dining & safety--

La Quinta 2620 N 26th Ave

BW 1900 Stirling Rd

BW 1221 W St Rd 84

The La Quinta and the Stirling Rd Best Western are at opposite ends of Oakwood Plaza, a mile-long stretch of shopping and dining. The La Quinta is a bit closer to the sit-down dining options: Ale House, Dave & Busters, TGIFridays, and (if you dare) Red Lobster. The Best Western is a block away from a fast food cluster of McDonalds, Burger King, Taco Bell and Chipotle, though there is a very good local chain (Las Vegas Cuban Restaurant) directly across the street. It is also closer to K-Mart if you need to pick up any sundries or wine.

Definitely pass on the State Rd 84 location.

The La Quinta and the Stirling Rd Best Western are at opposite ends of Oakwood Plaza, a mile-long stretch of shopping and dining. The La Quinta is a bit closer to the sit-down dining options: Ale House, Dave & Busters, TGIFridays, and (if you dare) Red Lobster. The Best Western is a block away from a fast food cluster of McDonalds, Burger King, Taco Bell and Chipotle, though there is a very good local chain (Las Vegas Cuban Restaurant) directly across the street. It is also closer to K-Mart if you need to pick up any sundries or wine.

Definitely pass on the State Rd 84 location.

Thanks for the info!

From Map Quest I also see that La Quinta is on the same side of the road as the plaza, where the BW looks to be across the busy highway from the plaza. If that's correct, it seems like La Quinta would be the better choice so as not to get run over if crossing the busy highway from BW? :eek:

Is there any reason you want to stay in that area? You may be stuck there.

Just keep in mind that last NYE it was impossible to get a cab or Uber after about 7PM. I know because we were out wanting to head down to the beach and Uber was surging 10x and there were no cabs. We were on Las Olas and finally gave up about 11PM.

Is there any reason you want to stay in that area? You may be stuck there.

Just keep in mind that last NYE it was impossible to get a cab or Uber after about 7PM. I know because we were out wanting to head down to the beach and Uber was surging 10x and there were no cabs. We were on Las Olas and finally gave up about 11PM.

Mostly cost. I don't think we would need a cab or uber, that's why we want some place that has at least a few walk-able eateries and is a safe place to walk.

Mostly cost. I don't think we would need a cab or uber, that's why we want some place that has at least a few walk-able eateries and is a safe place to walk.

Have you checked out Holiday Inn Express or http://www.ValueTrips.com for 17th Street? There is a whole lot more in that area and while Oakwood Plaza isn't a dangerous area, I'd feel a whole lot safer walking 17th Street at night.

Have you checked out Holiday Inn Express or http://www.ValueTrips.com for 17th Street? There is a whole lot more in that area and while Oakwood Plaza isn't a dangerous area, I'd feel a whole lot safer walking 17th Street at night.

Sure did & only Hyatt Place was available:) Cost would be $41 more than La Quinta and $57 more than BW on Stirling.

Sure did & only Hyatt Place was available:) Cost would be $41 more than La Quinta and $57 more than BW on Stirling.

Personally I would pay the $41.00 more to stay at the Hyatt Place...much better location JMHO.

We always cruise with our kids, so I know what being handy to things you need as a family is all about.

We have often stayed at the Best Western on State Rd. 84. It is very clean, nice pool area and is across the street (not a busy street, just a side street) from McDonalds, Subway, Wendy's a liquor store, Winn Dixie, dollar store, Beall's outlet, Big Lots etc.

They have an airport shuttle and the cab to the port is about $15.00.

We've always been very pleased there because we don't rent a car. Our this past March was $150, which is great for high season.