What are the best walking shoes and sandals to wear?

ken_nyc

Grace #11, please post how your new Bernie Mev's work out; do they have plenty of support for all-day walking on shore excursions?

Thanks!

I ordered the Catwalk and the Victoria. The Catwalk wouldn't have near enough support for me with my foot issues. It was a comfortable shoe, but my foot pronated to near flat in it - so that would be incredibly painful in about 10 minutes. The Victoria has much more support, will accommodate an orthotic (but probably not something like an Arizona brace unless one orders a larger size) and it was very comfortable even over a bunion and although being incredibly lightweight, the sole felt very sturdy. The Victoria is definitely a keeper! I normally order a 9.5W and I ordered a 40 in the Victoria and it was a perfect fit.

Just goes to show how important it is to try on any shoes. What works for one person won't necessarily work for another.

I have tried several pairs of Bernie Mevs -- they are just not comfortable for me, especially the closed-toe ones. (I don't like how the stretchy fabric feels over my toes; I like a looser fit with a little wiggle room.) And to me, the sandals are kind of on the homely side. :eek:

Just goes to show how important it is to try on any shoes. What works for one person won't necessarily work for another.

I have tried several pairs of Bernie Mevs -- they are just not comfortable for me, especially the closed-toe ones. (I don't like how the stretchy fabric feels over my toes; I like a looser fit with a little wiggle room.) And to me, the sandals are kind of on the homely side. :eek:

Yep, yep, and yep ;)

I've got some nerve damage to some of my toes on the leg that I shattered a few years ago. I have to be very careful of what and how often and how much pressure things will put on those toes. It's why I wear Dansko clogs with my business suits at work when I'm going to be standing on my feet all day - no heels and no flats with no support for me!!! After hearing about Bernie Mevs here, I tried a pair - hated them. Felt bad on my toes. And, I think they look kind of, well, homely is a polite word… I'll stick to Jambu and some Keens for their wide and comfortable toe boxes.

:) I would like to thank ALL of you who suggested sandals!! :)

My DW and I went and bought sandals today, we tried on different brands and styles and we bought the ones that were the most comfortable.

I bought the ECCO Offroad Yucatan Sandal

DW bought the TEVA Verra

Thank you again!!

:) I would like to thank ALL of you who suggested sandals!! :)

My DW and I went and bought sandals today, we tried on different brands and styles and we bought the ones that were the most comfortable.

I bought the ECCO Offroad Yucatan Sandal

DW bought the TEVA Verra

Thank you again!!

Sounds great! I have a pair of the ECCO Yucatans, though I don't use them in Europe. Very good sandal! And I also like Teva. Took a pair on my SE Asia cruise, where they worked well for me.

Enjoy your trip!

I have plantar fasciitis, so I cannot wear flat shoes. I *need* a heel. I also need closed-toe shoes, or at least nothing larger than a peep-toe.

My favorite brand is Earthies. They are very supportive, have a strong sole and the models that have a heel are perfect.

I have a great pair of Bernie Mev wedges with heels, but I'm concerned that they're stretching and will make me twist my ankle.

Anyone else with plantar faciitis can recommend their fave shoe (not sandal)?

I have plantar fasciitis, so I cannot wear flat shoes. I *need* a heel. I also need closed-toe shoes, or at least nothing larger than a peep-toe.

My favorite brand is Earthies. They are very supportive, have a strong sole and the models that have a heel are perfect.

I have a great pair of Bernie Mev wedges with heels, but I'm concerned that they're stretching and will make me twist my ankle.

I like Earth and Earthies shoes, too. I have several pairs, they're so comfortable.

I personally do not suffer from plantar fasciitis, but my daughter and 2 of my co-workers do. They all wear Dansko shoes. Here is a link to their website: https://www.dansko.com

There are lots of styles to choose from in all categories: clogs, sandals, sneakers, sport, etc.

My daughter's podiatrist highly recommended Dansko, and also suggested that she apply Topricin Pain Relief Cream several times a day.

I know you're not looking for sandals, but my daughter can wear Fit Flops, and showed her sandals to her podiatrist, and he agreed that they're very good, too.

Fit Flops also has lots of styles to choose from, not just sandals.

Here is a link to their website: http://www.fitflop.com

Hope that is helpful.

• 2 weeks later...

Where whatever is comfy to you and sturdy! For me, when it comes to sandals (I live in these when in Europe) it is either Clarks or Teva's. We know that flip flops are now the big rage....but have seen quite a few folks with sprained (and even fractured) ankles because of flip flops! While they are cool, the are not great on uneven surfaces.

Hank

Don't forget to pack your theraband to work your foot while on your cruise!!! You're going to get a ton of walking around - your plantar fasciitis will thank you! My injury was a double-pronged nasty: I've got screws in my ankle so it doesn't flex as "normal" would. So, I can't wear heels - I can get away with my 1" heels if I'm going to be sitting a lot and not walking a lot on them. So, I am prone to PF flareups once in awhile. I just have to work it judiciously with the theraband when traveling and with my rocker at home. If it's really bad, I have my night splint to use. Good luck and I hope you have a pain-free vacation!

I sell shoes to professional dancers - they're on their feet for hours on end. I will tell you what I tell them...... the best shoes are the ones that feel the best on your feet. Don't worry about looks, style, etc. Last time we were in Europe I wore the same pair of sneakers every day and had a ball. ONE SUGGESTION. Wear them about 2 or 3 weeks at home before leaving to be sure they are the most comfortable ones.