Allure - Early Impressions

Currently on board the Allure, waiting to depart from Falmouth, Jamaica. Wow, what a ship! It truly is a floating city. I have to say it's an impressive piece of engineering, truly marvelous.

A few opinions from my wife & I:

The Good:

1. The Staff - Extremely friendly and helpful. Room attendant and MDR servers are top-notch. The bartenders in the Schooner Bar are on a first name basis with us, and know our favorite drinks by memory (not sure if that's a reflection of how much we are drinking or not....:D)

2. Mama Mia & OceanAria - Enjoyed both, especially Mama Mia. I've never seen any type of Broadway show, so this was a first. Great performance!

3. Food - Great overall, as one would expect. If you are hungry it's your own fault. MDR fare has been very good. Have had breakfast at Johnny Rockets, lunch at Park Cafe. Windjammer has been another story (see below).

4. Had a good time in Jamaica, took a little bus tour of Falmouth and Montego Bay. Tour Guide and driver were awesome.

5. Internet - VOOM is great, excellent speed, no issues whatsoever. And if you and your friends back home have WhatsApp on their phones, you can call and send messages via Wi-Fi, no cell coverage required.

The "Meh"

6. Pools and Spas - Plenty to choose from. The whirlpools have not been very hot, not what I would expect them to be.

7. As far a Labadee was concerned, it's OK for a beach day and to pick up a few trinkets, otherwise not much to write home about.

The not so good

8. As one would expect on a ship with 6000+ guests, common areas, pools, etc. can be sometimes very crowded. Elevator wait times are sometimes fairly long, and they can be very full.

9. Getting an open table in the Windjammer at any time during breakfast or lunch is damn near impossible. (I realize there are other options, but DW likes the buffet).

Is bigger better? I'm not convinced. I think it's a great ship, but my wife & I have decided to stay away from the Oasis-class ships for our future cruises.

With regard to a breakfast and lunch buffet, try out the Solarium Cafe. Usually nowhere near as crowded as WJ.

I hadn't given much thought about the Solarium Cafe. What do they offer at Breakfast and Lunch? Wife is a bit finicky, if you get my drift....

I hadn't given much thought about the Solarium Cafe. What do they offer at Breakfast and Lunch? Wife is a bit finicky, if you get my drift....

It's a buffet, so all kinds of things. Walk through and take a look. Supposed to be healthier.

Can I ask if you took a RCL tour in Jamaica or who did you use-what was the name of the tour? thanks-we will be there in a few weeks! Enjoy your cruise!

It was an RCL tour. Basically a small bus with a guide, drove from Falmouth to Montego Bay, guide would point out things along the way, stopped in Montego Bay for 2 hours to shop and eat.

Tour is called Falmouth & Montego Bay at Leisure

Edited by IndyKid

Just got back from Allure cruise on the 17th, agree with pretty much everything said. We actually went to MDR for a couple breakfasts, eggs benedict, was fast and hot, they also have a buffet it your want. Easy to be seated, coffee, juice, fruit brought to your table.

Totally agree with OP's Windjammer remarks. The WJ was really the only huge detractor for us on an otherwise great Cruise on Allure this past February. I guess we are spoiled by the Oceanview Cafe on Celebrity, but how could RCI handle its buffet operations so horribly. Granted we only ate there for two breakfasts and one lunch, but we were sorely disappointed. We thought the layout of the food areas in WJ was poorly planned and the seating was terrible and the food not all that great. We ended up at Parkview most mornings and at lunch.

With regard to a breakfast and lunch buffet, try out the Solarium Cafe. Usually nowhere near as crowded as WJ.

Let us know how you feel about the turkey bacon? :D The general breakfast and lunch is more healthy than the regular buffet.

Let us know how you feel about the turkey bacon? :D The general breakfast and lunch is more healthy than the regular buffet.

You noticed I did not mention the turkey bacon. I actually had someone in our group last September that liked it, so I try not to influence people now.

You noticed I did not mention the turkey bacon. I actually had someone in our group last September that liked it, so I try not to influence people now.

I recall you mentioning that before so I kept my reply semi-neutral by not using the :eek: emoji. :D

Great comments. I agree that shows are fantastic. I've seen mamma Mia on Broadway and i can say that it's just as good.

I see that Bob has suggested to try Solarium Cafe for breakfast as their buffest is pretty good too. It's a touch smaller but still quite good. We even repeated it a few times.

I don't eat meat so can't comment myself, but my husband and kids tried it (even though I warned him from what I heard on here...lol) and he said it was not as good as the real stuff but was fine.

I don't eat meat so can't comment myself, but my husband and kids tried it (even though I warned him from what I heard on here...lol) and he said it was not as good as the real stuff but was fine.

Now I wish I would have tried it last time. Maybe it's been improved?

haha! Boy, you and Ocean Boy have been quietly ushering people away from it for years now! ;) I lovez me the turkey bacon. I thought it was just fine. I really loved the muesli bar and fresh berries at the Solarium for breakfast. Dee-lish. :)

With the Solarium being an adults only area, are kids welcomed at the Solarium Buffet?

Yes, the restaurant is at the aft end of the Solarium, so the kids don't even have to enter to pool area to use the restaurant.

Thanks for the info!

I am traveling with several young grandchildren who love chicken nuggets/fingers.

Are these items available on both the WJ and Solarium buffet? Does RCL have a "kids friendly" section on their buffets?

Do any of the complimentary food venues have chicken nuggets/fingers? I believe the room service menu does but will we be able to find these items elsewhere?

I agree that the WJ on the Allure is lacking, both in seating and food selection, but when you really think about it, it makes sense since there are so many other options for complimentary meals. I think we only ate at the WJ two or three times during our 12 day cruise, once we discovered the other eating venues. I really liked the Wipe Out Cafe for breakfast or a small lunch. The Solarium Cafe was nice, but a bit too "healthy" for my taste. Johnny Rockets was also good for a plain, American breakfast.

Thanks for the info about the Jamaica tour. I'll be back on Allure in three weeks and still have not decided what to do in Jamaica. Is the bus ok for those in wheelchairs?

I was on Allure in November and didn't have the issue you described with WJ. We ate there several times for breakfast and lunch. Sometimes had to do an extra lap to find a table but generally saw availability whenever we were there. I'll admit we avoided peak times and either had breakfast very early or kind of late. Same with lunch.

We were on the Allure in late March/early April at what was likely the tail end of spring break season. I didn't find that WJ seating was any worse than I had ever experienced on any other RCCL or Celebrity ship. Maybe it is just timing.

The food is usually not stellar, but I had no complaints.

I agree that, with so many other complimentary venues, it is not necessary to have such diversity in WJ. Although, I thought there were plenty of choices and I usually found seating fairly quickly.