Seasickness remedies for kids

8a1837a94ee2184f6e11fce93cea410c_thumb.jpg

I have a friend who works with an anesthetiser who puts a small craft bead on the wedding finger of patients who get sick from anesthetiser, it stops the sickness.

We tried this last December on our cruise and it worked. I just bought some from the $2 shop and applied it with sticky tape

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Wow, will have to remember that for the grandkids.:D

I'll be checking with my Dr and pharmacist, but just wondering if anyone could recommend some good options to prevent / deal with seasickness for a 3yr old.

Thanks

Hi,

as you said check with your doctor, but I've been sailing with my kids since my daughter was 3 years old, and we've always given the kids Phenergan. If you go and see the doctor on board that is exactly what they give the kids (in syrup form), and then they charge you $150. I now buy Phenergan at the chemist, and give my kids half a dose just after boarding and it usually helps things. My daughter still gets sea sick but with the half a dose she feels fine. She also doesn't get any hyperactivity.

Trish

Firstly you should wait till they go to sea first to see if they really need medication. It is a psychological condition after all and you could be treating something that does not need treating. If you lead up to the cruise convincing yourself that you need medication without trying to sail without medication you will be in a state of mind that you need medication like the placebo effect.

I can go to sea in any sea condition and not get any form of seasickness whatsoever because I trained myself psychologically that it was all in my mind. I used to serve in the Navy and used to throw my guts up the first time I went to sea. Eventually I adjusted my behaviour and attitude and trained myself that I could overcome it without taking the orange pills they supplied for sea sickness.

I think that is what everyone should do. It is easy and takes strong will power to do it and once it is done you will never get sick at sea again.

Firstly you should wait till they go to sea first to see if they really need medication. It is a psychological condition after all and you could be treating something that does not need treating. If you lead up to the cruise convincing yourself that you need medication without trying to sail without medication you will be in a state of mind that you need medication like the placebo effect.

I can go to sea in any sea condition and not get any form of seasickness whatsoever because I trained myself psychologically that it was all in my mind. I used to serve in the Navy and used to throw my guts up the first time I went to sea. Eventually I adjusted my behaviour and attitude and trained myself that I could overcome it without taking the orange pills they supplied for sea sickness.

I think that is what everyone should do. It is easy and takes strong will power to do it and once it is done you will never get sick at sea again.

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

I agree that sea sickness starts in the mind but often ends up coming out elsewhere. Blackmores Ginger tabs work a treat with kids.

But the big question is how many people have actually tried going to sea for the first time and not take any medication just to see if they are susceptible or not.

I think this is the one main thing people need to stop doing is automatically thinking by going to sea you will get sick. It is a total myth and people need to try it first because for all they know they could be taking medication for nothing.

Ginger tablets washed down with dry ginger ale for the rug rats and for adults Crabbies Alcoholic Ginger beer or a scotch and dry ginger ale, works for moi.

Edited by NSWP

Ginger tablets washed down with dry ginger ale for the rug rats and for adults Crabbies Alcoholic Ginger beer or a scotch and dry ginger ale, works for moi.

Yep, the scotch works for me as well although I am not sure if it does anything for sea sickness.