Funny advice for a first time cruiser!!

J P

DON'T pack all of your clothes in the suitcases that you put out in the hall, on the last night. Otherwise, the next morning, you'll be disembarking in your "jammies"! :eek:;)

My DH did this on our last cruise. I was sick and he ended up with packing duty- luckily I had slept in yoga pants and a t-shirt the night before:-)

Beware of taking all the items often listed on those "packing list of extra things you need to take" or you won't have any room left for your clothes. :D

You won't have enough room in your room for you. And the ship might sink because of all your stuff.

DON

Edited by donaldsc

If you want to have a bit of fun with your cabin steward, always refold your toilet paper into the little triangle like the cabin steward normally would. After a couple of days your cabin steward may become quite concerned about you and instead of chocolates, put prunes on your pillow. LOL!

Or one up your cabin steward and do a fancier toilet paper origami design such as these:

http://www.curbly.com/users/DIY-Maven/posts/7198-how-to-make-toilet-paper-origami

Edited by SuiteTraveler

When the time finally comes and you board the ship, and the cabins are ready

so you get to see your very first cabin..... :) take a moment to to see if your cabin is port or starboard, and which direction is forward or aft.

Our first cruise I was turned around for most of it. :D

That was me on first cruise. I even forgot cabin number so decided I would walk around hallway until something looked familiar. Two laps around the deck and of course that didn't work. (Seasoned cruisers know it's because all the doors look the same! UGH when you are lost!) Finally had to swallow my pride and go find DW to get cabin number. She still laughs at me about that one!

Enjoy cruising. We certainly do!

PAGGS

Hi all!

Does anyone have any funny / unusual hints and tips for a first time cruiser?!! The more outrageous the better!!!

Thankyou :-)

Darn, I had to think a long time back, but recalled this first cruise, first day disaster.

While still in port before sailing, my photo-crazy boyfriend was snapping pics non-stop. He finally got me to stand in the bow of the most forward deck. At the exact moment I posed, a gigantic pelican overhead decided to "bless me" with an outrageous amount of excrement. My face, hair, and pristine brand new white top were all yellow-green. We did not get our luggage delivered for hours, but I could not have eaten dinner anyway.

Lesson: If you have to take photos on deck, wait until you sail, or at least check for overhead birds.

Happy Cruising!

When you get to the deck where your cabin is located, and then when you figure out which SIDE your room is on...look at the carpet! Each side will have a difference. On the Grand, one side had two red stripes and the other did not. For the rest of the cruise you'll know which way to turn to get to your room when you step out of the elevator. :)

I shared this with a woman on my cruise this week, who said she had been on several cruises but had never noticed that. We had a good laugh about it. I didn't tell her I had done the same thing until someone told ME!

Always remember that some of the areas can become very crowded, so don't reach back for your dh without looking first. It may not be your dh still behind you and it may not be his hand that you grab. :o

That's why Mrs a Gut does it. Hopes to get a better model.

Went on a cruise a few years ago with a large group and one of the guys forgot to bring his pants...all of them. He had to wear the same ones all week as he was so tall no one else could offer assistance. So, don't forget you pants.

Conversely..... If you do decide to bring only one pair of pants for a weekend cruise, make sure all the seams are together.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

We took my daughter and granddaughter on their first cruise. Even though we told them there was so much to do they couldn't do it all they still planned every minute. My daughter's comment at the end - I need a vacation. Next time I'm going to plan for some time to relax.

We are recently back from our cruise. I managed to leave the cabin without one of my small bags at disembarkation. Luckily I realized it before we were out of the terminal, and the crew kindly let me back aboard to get it. I had slid it back on the bedside table to keep it out of the way, and it had "disappeared"! Lesson learned!

• 4 weeks later...

Note that the MDR is open for breakfast and lunch and usually has really good food. On my first cruise I didn't realise it was open for breakfast or lunch and ate at the buffet instead (which was still reasonably good).

Find out when the MDR is open for meal times and when the buffet is open for snacks. One cruise I had to buy expensive room service on the 2nd night because everything closed before I got supper!

Look for meals with alcohol in them and note that you can order multiple serves. Alcohol is expensive on board so you should take advantage of any opportunity for free booze. One time I had 8 serves of a dessert made with Cointreau which was relaxing.

Take what the cruise line says about "formal night" with a grain of salt and ask here for advice. It's not fun being the only person wearing a tie in the MDR.

Get out of the pool before the ship leaves port, the waves in the pool can be significant.

Darn, I had to think a long time back, but recalled this first cruise, first day disaster.

While still in port before sailing, my photo-crazy boyfriend was snapping pics non-stop. He finally got me to stand in the bow of the most forward deck. At the exact moment I posed, a gigantic pelican overhead decided to "bless me" with an outrageous amount of excrement. My face, hair, and pristine brand new white top were all yellow-green. We did not get our luggage delivered for hours, but I could not have eaten dinner anyway.

Lesson: If you have to take photos on deck, wait until you sail, or at least check for overhead birds.

Happy Cruising!

Imagine the laugh the pelican had with his buddies later at their favorite watering hole. :D