Website offering me "Zoom Internet" on Rhapsody?

I'm sailing on the Rhapsody this summer. In the cruise planner I am offered the option to purchase 8 different "Zoom" Internet packages, but I was under the impression that the Rhapsody does not have Zoom internet.

Is "Zoom" Internet packages a generic term they use for all ships now?

I am seeing the same thing for my July 3 sailing on Serenade (I just made a similar post), which from what I understand does not yet have Voom either. Seems like they are selling the packages in anticipation of having it installed on at least these ships by the time we sail.

Edit: isn't it Voom, rather than Zoom?

Edited by Durkman
Correct a typo

I am seeing the same thing for my July 3 sailing on Serenade (I just made a similar post), which from what I understand does not yet have Voom either. Seems like they are selling the packages in anticipation of having it installed on at least these ships by the time we sail.

Edit: isn't it Voom, rather than Zoom?

Yes, the fast internet is Voom, unless Royal is trying to pull a fast one on us.;)

I was under the impression that the instillation process of upgrading to voom was quite intensive. Can anyone add info on the processes involved in upgrading to zoom?

If, in fact they need a dry dock to upgrade, it seems highly unlikely they will have installed voom on both Rhapsody and Serenade within the next 10 weeks since neither are scheduled for dry dock in this period.

I'm "thinking" (which admittedly dangerous), that RCL is now referring to all internet packages "voom', regardless of the technology applied?

Any other thoughts?

Edited by BermudaBound2014

They are definitely offering VOOM on Serenade. See attached screen shot from my Cruise Planner. I would hope that Royal isn't selling packages for its current Internet service, which has been described as awful on Serenade, as VOOM if that isn't what it is going to be.

Capture.jpg.215febb167eaf423d9e186f32e4f5efc.jpg

And while I don't know how to do a fancy screen shot, they are DEFINITELY offering Voom on Rhapsody for my August sailing. I normally wouldn't worry about pre-purchase because of the on-board 20% discount, but right now the web site is showing 30% off which comes to $9.99 a day. I believe that is cheaper than on-board even with the C&A discount.

Edited by BermudaBound2014

I'm thinking I'll order it while it is on sale and if it is not VOOM and is as slow as others have said it is I will raise a stink with guest services and get it refunded. I doubt that would be a problem.

I'm thinking I'll order it while it is on sale and if it is not VOOM and is as slow as others have said it is I will raise a stink with guest services and get it refunded. I doubt that would be a problem.

thats a really good idea. I think I am going to do that, too.

Certainly was NOT on Rhapsody a few weeks ago.

:D

Raina

I Raina, I've been following your adventure and was holding my comments until the end, but I have one question. Will you marry me? We will have to negotiate around the fact that I'm a straight female and already married, but I think we might be sole sisters in terms of traveling. You've done an amazing job so far on the review. Would love to share travel stories with you one day. Have you done Galapagos yet? If not, it's a must do also.

It is being offered for the Navigator May 8 Transatlantic as well.

With the "sale" it is cheaper than the packages that were being offered before. I am thinking like the poster above of getting it & then complaining if it isn't as advertised.

I Raina, I've been following your adventure and was holding my comments until the end, but I have one question. Will you marry me? We will have to negotiate around the fact that I'm a straight female and already married, but I think we might be sole sisters in terms of traveling. You've done an amazing job so far on the review. Would love to share travel stories with you one day. Have you done Galapagos yet? If not, it's a must do also.

NEW-oh-so-lovely-header.png

Thank you so much. So lovely.

And we could do a movie called "the soul sisters travelling pants".

Galapogas is on the list. This was my first stray from Royal....but I don't feel bad as they don't go to Antarctica. :D

I went ahead and purchased. $90.90 for ten days (one device). I will be pleasantly surprised if it is Voom, but I'm not counting on it. For those of us who need to stay connected regardless, $9.99 per day for unlimited internet access is reasonable even at old ship speeds.

Since I am a bit bored today, I decided to call & ask.

It is a glitch at least for the Navigator May 8 sailing. The agent advised against booking it to get the decent rate because officially that package is not available on my sailing.

Oh well, I knew it was too good to be true. At least I got the drink package sale...that's more important!

Just a dose of reality - other than the Freedom which took months to get Voom while sailing, all the other ships either came from the factory with Voom or it was done during a dry dock. It is not a simple install.

BTW, my Rhapsody May 13 sailing offers Voom at 30% off at GPB 6.99/ day.

Now if only the old Diamond discount of $30 could be applied......

Since I am a bit bored today, I decided to call & ask.

It is a glitch at least for the Navigator May 8 sailing. The agent advised against booking it to get the decent rate because officially that package is not available on my sailing.

Oh well, I knew it was too good to be true. At least I got the drink package sale...that's more important!

Now you tell me lol. I did book it. I do not expect it to be voom speed, but I do hope rcl will honor the unlimited internet access I purchased. Am I being unreasonable?

Now you tell me lol. I did book it. I do not expect it to be voom speed, but I do hope rcl will honor the unlimited internet access I purchased. Am I being unreasonable?

i don't think so, it was available they really should honour the price even if it is the old internet service.

On another thread someone says they talked to an C&A agent and were told it was going fleet wide by May 1. Now I am back to undecided about buying the package. At $20 a day I was thinking being unplugged was good, @30% off I would stay plugged in.

i don't think so, it was available they really should honour the price even if it is the old internet service.

On another thread someone says they talked to an C&A agent and were told it was going fleet wide by May 1. Now I am back to undecided about buying the package. At $20 a day I was thinking being unplugged was good, @30% off I would stay plugged in.

Unfortunately, I do not believe this will be fleet wide by May 1st. Currently the rhapsody is on a transatlantic. She has one port day (in Barcelona) between now and may 1st. I can't see how it's possible.

My hypothesis is that they are just lowering prices to match industry competition and calling all internet packages Voom (regardless of speed). I've never seen any data quantifying the speed of Voom, so without a number, any speed could be Voom technically.

All that being said, I am happy rcl has reduced rates to $10.00 per day per device. Technology should be getting cheaper. The $29.00 per day we paid on ncl last summer left a nasty taste in my mouth. MSc and carnival have both recently reduced internet cost significantly- makes sense rcl would follow suite.

Of course it could be just a web glitch too (which I hope they will honor)- but fleet wide by May 1st? I don't think so- but I'll gladly eat crow.

I'm on the Rhapsody in September and was going through my cruise planner when I came across this thread. I also see the unlimited Voom internet with 30% off. I was just going to use my free day when on board, but this is tempting.