Jewel Alaska formal dress

AK Dreaming

There are at least a couple evenings where you can dress up for photo opportunities.

We are going on our 8th cruise to Alaska on NCL and several cruises ago we began leaving our formal attire at home.

They used to call it "Dress up or not" on those evenings but have since changed the name to something else. I like the wide range of attire on those evenings. I am in blue jeans and t shirt while others are in suites and gowns. What I think is so interesting is I don't think anyone looks out of place. We are all just doing what we want to do. That is what I call a vacation. :D

It has seemed there may be a slightly higher percentage of people dressed up on those evenings but not by too much from my observations so I think it makes everyone feel comfortable and not out of place.

On almost every night (except embarkation) the photographers will be set up with back drops. There are no true formal nights any more. But people tend to dress nicely for dinner. We were on the Jewel to Alaska last summer and took out the dresses and suits (don't carry the tux on NCL any more).

That being said, we were just on a western carib cruise on the NCL Spirit and several folks had their tuxes out nightly. They sat along side those in shorts in the Soecialty dining rooms. Everyone fit in just fine.

In 2012 we were on the Pearl to AK. There was only one Dress up - or not night. It was reccommend that if you were going to dress up to use the aft MDR.

This was our third AK cruise on NCL - the first two were back in 02 and 03 - I noticed that back then there were fewer people in jeans and nice casual attire when compared to the 12 cruise.

I don't have a tux and I don't usually wear suits. I will wear nice slacks and a polo or button down shirt. My DW usually wears nice slacks and a sweater top.