Magic or Oasis both in PC, which to choose?

NOSaints1

OMGosh....you MUST go Oasis, I been on 62 cruises so far and the Allure/Oasis were the best most favorite ships of them all!!!!

Board way is nice, different, fun....Central Park really looks like that and so tropical with live plants, flowers, trees, bushes beautiful!!

The aqua show is wonderful, the ice show is always excellent and a must go and see, go ride the tides bar that goes up and down slowly between decks...excellent martini's there too.

Chops good better beef for sure than the MDR, Vintages fun and wonderful small plates all delicious! 150 Central Park a tasting menu...excellent overall in service but since I need to be gluten free I wouldn't go again, Giovanni's Table always great, Izumi I recommend more for lunch, the hot dog cart real hot dogs unlike carnivals well if you call them hot dogs lol there are many types of hot dogs, brats and all to choose from....and I am a person that really hardly ever eats hot dogs found myself having one (without bun of course) each day lol....Johnny Rockets always hated and on Carnival I probably will hate Guys too but thats just me....Solarium Bistro is on the Oasis but not the Allure so haven't tried that, Samba Grill won't do again but maybe it was just a bad night there, Seafood Shack you love if you like seafood, Rita's Cantina good for mexican.....more places to get breakfast and lunch.....now with all this said besides the fact the pools are large and many of them and so much outdoor deck space and it NEVER felt crowded...and I find the buffets on RC better and more choices.....24 hours you can get mini sandwiches, pastries, cupcakes, cookies, salads and such....I think I said enough lol.

BTW, I am the same way i go on a cruise for the ship not ports! When I want a port I go to the island and do a land based vacation.

THIS!!! hands down

Specialty restaurant hahaha. I don't think anyone eats at the rock wall or merry go round. Next thing you know you are going to tell me that JR tastes better. The seats that you sit at are pretty darn close to same regardless of getting it at the counter (faster btw) or sitting down and paying for it.

Yes, more of a specialty restaurant than Guy's. How's the chili,grilled cheese, patti melt, chicken sandwich, etc. at Guy's? I haven't eaten at a Guy's so I won't comment on which tastes better to me.

I guess next you're going to tell me that you haven't complained in the passed about having to pay for thing (such as the rock climbing wall and carousel) that you will not use, in your CRUISE FARE. I wasn't trying to say that you eat at the rock climbing wall or carousel and you know it.

I would probably enjoy a burger at Guy's, but my wife would have no interest. But we would both pay the same amount for our cruise. This means she is paying for Guy's. She gets no option to not pay. With JR's that's not an issue she doesn't go so she doesn't pay for it.

Just got off the Oasis and it is a beautiful ship. I have not been on the Magic yet, but I am sure she does not compare with the Oasis. You probably do want to see the Oasis one time. I have to say though, that there is more than the ship and the ports to consider. In my opinion, the friendliness and service on even the smallest Carnival ship outshines that on the Oasis. You are treated like an individual on Carnival, an important guest. I did not get this feeling on the Oasis. Everything on the Oasis seemed to have a price tag on it. There were no free movies on the TV, like on Carnival. Bingo cost $49 for the same number of games that Carnival charges $20 for., etc, etc...This had been my first RC cruise and could be my last. Carnival has always welcomed myself and my family as one of their own. Just something to consider.

Yes, more of a specialty restaurant than Guy's. How's the chili,grilled cheese, patti melt, chicken sandwich, etc. at Guy's? I haven't eaten at a Guy's so I won't comment on which tastes better to me.

I guess next you're going to tell me that you haven't complained in the passed about having to pay for thing (such as the rock climbing wall and carousel) that you will not use, in your CRUISE FARE. I wasn't trying to say that you eat at the rock climbing wall or carousel and you know it.

I would probably enjoy a burger at Guy's, but my wife would have no interest. But we would both pay the same amount for our cruise. This means she is paying for Guy's. She gets no option to not pay. With JR's that's not an issue she doesn't go so she doesn't pay for it.

You are correct, I have commented on (not complained, I was referencing my sailing on Oasis and why I did not feel bigger is necessarily better - along with all of the things that make Oasis unique but IMHO not necessarily better) on things on Oasis.

Listen I get your point, but it is Royal's choice to charge for many more things, and yes, I def felt nickel and dined when I sailed on Oasis, can't help it is what I felt. Is the ship a true wonder of a sailing vessel. For sure, but that said, she has limitations and I think dilutes the cruising experience.

Lastly, sail on a Carnival ship and try a Guy's burger, then we can talk more.

Specialty restaurant hahaha. I don't think anyone eats at the rock wall or merry go round. Next thing you know you are going to tell me that JR tastes better. The seats that you sit at are pretty darn close to same regardless of getting it at the counter (faster btw) or sitting down and paying for it.

I disagree about the seats being the same thing. One of the things about JR is the atmosphere of being in a place that looks like a 50's diner. Guy's seating is pool deck benches. My daughter also liked the singing/dancing waiters, and danced along with them.

Personally, I thought Guy's had a better burger myself. And better fries. Though I liked the JR onion rings (not to mention the milkshakes of course).

Carnival never thought of OASIS class ships, b/c though their great. They are horrible business moto's as they dont fit anywhere, and are difficult to fill, especially in slow season. I love both brands, but ships are just getting ridiculous in size and making it slower to debark and more expensive.

Heck I even think the Vista is too big, but I understand the reason to up the ship size to compete.

Carnival never thought of OASIS class ships, b/c though their great. They are horrible business moto's as they dont fit anywhere, and are difficult to fill, especially in slow season. I love both brands, but ships are just getting ridiculous in size and making it slower to debark and more expensive.

Heck I even think the Vista is too big, but I understand the reason to up the ship size to compete.

Oasis sails full in all seasons

Sure Carnival did. Look up the Carnival Pinnacle project from over a decade ago.

RC apparently doesn't have a problem filling the ships; they have a third about to enter service and a fourth on the way.

Though I do agree the size limits the ability to go to varied ports.

Then again, Carnival ships that DO fit into smaller ports seem to all show up in Cozumel at the same time....

Carnival never thought of OASIS class ships, b/c though their great. They are horrible business moto's as they dont fit anywhere, and are difficult to fill, especially in slow season.

As others said, look up the Pinnacle class. Carnival abandoned this program because they failed to see beyond the economy downturn of that time. They played it safe, but then they found themselves severely lagging behind the rest of the industry when the economy picked up again. While other cruise lines were building brand new and truly innovative ships, Carnival's biggest plan was refurbishing a twenty year old ship, renaming it the Sunshine and pretending that it was brand new.

Royal didn't build these ships to take you to new destinations. They built them to be THE destination. But even with that , we are starting to see more interesting deployments, including the Western Mediterranean itineraries from Barcelona. And when the newbuilds are completed, expect even more interesting itineraries, far from the Cozumel and Nassau itineraries that both Carnival and Royal can't get enough of.

I don't have statistical data (and I always wonder where other people get theirs when they post information like load factors) but looking at how pricing consistently stays high on Oasis ships (yes pricing ebbs and flows during low season, but even then they charge a premium over similar sailings on Carnival), and the fact that there are more of these ships being built, I will make an educated guess and say that they've been a success for Royal.

Edited by Tapi

Royal didn't build these ships to take you to new destinations. They built them to be THE destination. But even with that , we are starting to see more interesting deployments, including the Western Mediterranean itineraries from Barcelona. And when the newbuilds are completed, expect even more interesting itineraries, far from the Cozumel and Nassau itineraries that both Carnival and Royal can't get enough of.

I don't have statistical data (and I always wonder where other people get theirs when they post information like load factors) but looking at how pricing consistently stays high on Oasis ships (yes pricing ebbs and flows during low season, but even then they charge a premium over similar sailings on Carnival), and the fact that there are more of these ships being built, I will make an educated guess and say that they've been a success for Royal.

I cannot argue with much of what you say. Obviously they must be profitable, the third is almost (or already is) done and the fourth is under way. Add in the new ships of the quantum class and Royal sure is winning the the building race. I also can't argue with these ships being the destination vs traditional cruising which is a combination of the cruise itself and destinations. This is the main reason we (and you have mentioned as well) not all that in love with this type of cruising. They also have limitations with where they can cruise to, which lets can handle them (or not) and to date, have not done a tender port.

Lastly, they have to pay for all these new expensive ships (the Oasis class are at least 1.4 billion and the Quantum a little less). The result is they have to fill them (does not seem to be a problem) and charge for everything they can to do that. This means crazy cruise fares and things like $14.50 for a Pina Colada on Quantum when she was sailing out of New Jersey.

Lastly, they have to pay for all these new expensive ships (the Oasis class are at least 1.4 billion and the Quantum a little less). The result is they have to fill them (does not seem to be a problem) and charge for everything they can to do that. This means crazy cruise fares and things like $14.50 for a Pina Colada on Quantum when she was sailing out of New Jersey.

We are booked on Anthem out of Bayonne for the fall. I'm still having a hard time digesting the price, but my wife said THAT's the ship she wants! Happy wife, happy life!

We are booked on Anthem out of Bayonne for the fall. I'm still having a hard time digesting the price, but my wife said THAT's the ship she wants! Happy wife, happy life!

Can't argue that either.