IMAX Cinema

minesawine

Aw, c'mon, give minesawine a break. This Everything Vista board is all about pre-cruise questions as none of us has sailed her yet. :-) But in this case, Carnival has actually provided some answers to this one:

https://help.carnival.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/1163/~/carnival-multiplex-and-thrill-theater

Looks like $13 a movie from what I can tell, with no option of an unlimited movies pass. Senior cruise director John Heald is also going to be revealing which movies will be on the inaugural in a couple days.

There have been quite a few complaints over on FB about the whole upsell aspect of this. I think it's more among people who have been cruising for a long time and remember the days when cruising was more all-inclusive. My husband and I only started cruising about 3 years ago, so I don't these upcharges are quite as jarring for us. But, seems like it's the way the industry is headed (unless you want to go upmarket like Holland America or something), so I suppose it is what it is.

I was just on Holland America last month, New Amsterdam, let me tell you they nickle and dime you to death as well. No line is exempt, with the exception of Disney, but you'll pay far more up front then other lines.

I did read your link and I chuckled to see a senior discount on the movies. How nice for carnival to look after our seniors:)

I don't like the pricing. But that just means, and is my choice, I will not be visiting this I Max. It has become common practice anymore to upsell all of things on cruises. It is up to each person if they want to do it or go to it and pay the fee.

I don't like the pricing. But that just means, and is my choice, I will not be visiting this I Max. It has become common practice anymore to upsell all of things on cruises. It is up to each person if they want to do it or go to it and pay the fee.

They aren't upselling for the use of the IMAX, they are upselling for the costs of the movie licensing.

Movie theaters/Cinemas make NO money from ticket sales, it all goes to the movie companies. That's why concessions stands are so expensive because the theaters only make profit from concessions and programmes.

As such, we're paying at the IMAX for the ability to see hollywood movies! I'm definitely interested :)

We're huge movie goers and live in Los Angeles which is of course Movie Capital Central

Can't wait to watch a movie in IMAX on the ship......Hope they have butter for the popcorn

Edited by LaCal

Sadly (well, not really anything SAD) we are on June 3rd sailing, and there is only one sea day, so our days will be packed. IMAX is going to be unlikely and I am SOOOO having trouble deciding which place to have our only sea day lunch.

That being said, $13 seems reasonable for a feature film... not GREAT but reasonable. :) I guess we will have to book again stateside... oh well, the sacrifices we make.. ;)

Of course, everyone is different, but...

I can go to an IMAX theatre any time I desire.

But I cruise only a few days a year and there are many things unique to cruising that I can only do during those few days.

So I shall spend my cruise days doing things unique to cruising and save the things I can do at home for when I am back home.

But I cruise only a few days a year and there are many things unique to cruising that I can only do during those few days.

So I shall spend my cruise days doing things unique to cruising and save the things I can do at home for when I am back home.

You can drink cocktails and eat fine dinners at home too. Will you be giving those things up to cruise?

You can drink cocktails and eat fine dinners at home too. Will you be giving those things up to cruise?

Actually, we do not drink, so we gave that up a long time ago.

As far as food, we eat out quite often. While I enjoy cruising, I have never been overly impressed with the food on our cruises - to phrase it another way, the food is not a standout from what we regularly eat at home.

Again, everyone has their own regimen when they cruise - we all have different likes/dislikes.

I don't get a lot of free time at home to go to a movie so if its something I am really interested in seeing I would go on the ship. I am not a sit around by the pool type of guy so I could leave my wife by the pool and see a movie. When we were on a Disney cruise, we watched Frozen in the theater and didnt feel it was wasted time at all.

Yes everyone is different. And the Vista is a big ole ship with a variety of things to do. So nobody is forcing anyone to do anything. You can do what you want.

I have a beach within two miles of my house. Several movie theaters in the same area. Plenty of restaurants, bars, nice community of folks to chit chat with, etc. I can do plenty onboard that I do at home. But the idea of being away doing these things in new surroundings is the difference. My husband probably won't be interested, but me and the kids definitely will check it out at least once next Summer when we sail.

Not sure if anyone cares much at this point or if you've already seen for yourselves, but someone posted a pic of the first day's Funtimes over on FB. Looks like the first (only?) IMAX movies being touted are "Batman vs. Superman" and "Deadpool." Just sharing since I know the hubby and I were curious about what types of films would be shown and what the "recent" in "recent releases" really meant. We're decidedly pleased with their choices, but then we enjoy a good superhero movie now and again. :)

Hello

Does anyone know how the cost of the IMAX cinema and whether they will be showing 3D or 4D films. Will you able to book in advance.l

Thank you

V x

John Heald said it would be $12.

Also seen the funtimes pic.

Shows they are showing Batman vs superman, Star Wars the force awakens, Deadpool. Plus 2 G rated films under the sea 3d and a beautiful planet.

Crossing my fingers for a good few superhero films myself but we're not sailing till October so who knows what they will be showing.

It's the first sailing. Geesh. Give the feature a chance. Star wars isn't a family movie? I dunno - my husband and daughter are into it and went to see it together. Plus two G-rated movies. Sounds like a variety to me. Maybe not what I want to see but that doesn't mean there's no variety or family movies. Is the previous poster actually on the current sailing?

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

It's the first sailing. Geesh. Give the feature a chance. Star wars isn't a family movie? I dunno - my husband and daughter are into it and went to see it together. Plus two G-rated movies. Sounds like a variety to me. Maybe not what I want to see but that doesn't mean there's no variety or family movies. Is the previous poster actually on the current sailing?

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

No, I'm not on this sailing. And I don't consider a documentary to be a feature film and would not pay to see one. The movies are all action movies which only speak to a certain demographic. So, no they are not family movies. The only person in my family who would want to see any of these is my 13 yo boy. Nothing for an 11 yo girl or me or grandma. How about a comedy or animated movie that everyone in the family can enjoy?

No, I'm not on this sailing. And I don't consider a documentary to be a feature film and would not pay to see one. The movies are all action movies which only speak to a certain demographic. So, no they are not family movies. The only person in my family who would want to see any of these is my 13 yo boy. Nothing for an 11 yo girl or me or grandma. How about a comedy or animated movie that everyone in the family can enjoy?

Guess it depends on what you want to watch and what you consider variety. I know some families that enjoy Star Wars as a family. My only point was that this is the very first sailing and maybe there will be more choices. Not everyone enjoys everything. Not all families like animated movies or comedies either.

I think the choices will change. I was on the first Star Wars at Sea on Disney Fantasy and saw The Force Awakens, and loved it.

Im not interested in the other 2 super hero movies, but many really like those.

That's the nice thing about choices. If I like what is being offered, I have no issue paying for the IMAX experience.

I agree with your point of view for the most part, but......it would be a somewhat unique experience to be in Vista's IMAX theater and viewing a film like "The Perfect Storm", while the ship was encountering some serious seas...:eek::p

John just announced on the next sailing they'll be showing The Jungle Book and Civil War Captain America in the IMAX theater

I like how they r going to show current movies like these