Best Credit Cards for International Travel?

We figured it was about time we got ourselves an Aussie Credit Card as back up for our US cards and I thought you people would have the info I needed.

What in your opinion is the best CC available in Australia?

Is there any that have no International transaction fees?

Any Airline credit cards that do good deals with miles?

Any that include travel insurance?

Anything else I should know?

Thanks for any info!

J

we use an Aussie mastercard and have had no problems. We always let them know the dates we are going to be travelling and what countries we are visiting. I haven't had any excessive charges from them.

They have contacted us on two occasions for unusual transactions, we weren't travelling at the time, and they were very prompt and sorted things out straight away.

I use covermore for insurance, I personally wouldn't get insurance through the credit card company as I've heard they are not as good.

we use an Aussie mastercard and have had no problems. We always let them know the dates we are going to be travelling and what countries we are visiting. I haven't had any excessive charges from them.

They have contacted us on two occasions for unusual transactions, we weren't travelling at the time, and they were very prompt and sorted things out straight away.

I use covermore for insurance, I personally wouldn't get insurance through the credit card company as I've heard they are not as good.[/quote]

We have found the 'free' travel insurance to be very good. The only way to compare is to consider what the 'free' insurance covers compared with a competing one.

On the free travel insurance, we have had claims paid without any problem. The proportion of the travel cost that you have to pay with the card varies from bank to bank. Naturally, if you have a claim, there is an excess, but that is less than you would have paid to buy a travel insurance policy. After all, when I buy travel insurance, I want it to cover the big items - expensive medical, evacuation from a ship, lost luggage, last minute cancellation. I don't care that it isn't worth claiming for a visit to the doctor on the ship because it is less than the excess.:)

But, this is getting away from the original question because I don't think these credit cards could be used overseas to pay some of the cost of the trip.

There is one Australian credit card that does not have international transaction fees. It is called '28 Degrees Platinum MasterCard'. There is also no annual fee for this card.

Visa or Mastercard, I used both when I travelled for business. Now retired I've settled for Visa, just a personal preference as I never had trouble with either one.

The advice on travel insurance is very wise, you usually get what you pay for so if it's free then you be the judge, and make sure you read the fine print AND UNDERSTAND IT.

There is one Australian credit card that does not have international transaction fees. It is called '28 Degrees Platinum MasterCard'. There is also no annual fee for this card.

The 28degees card is only available to Australian residents, so that's no good. Pity, because it's a great card for overseas travel.

Try this site. It lists details of cards available to non-Australian residents. The cards (at the bottom of the page) all have minimum income requirements. The site seems to be aimed more at migrants and temporary residents, not tourists, but there may be something that will be useful for you.

http://www.creditcardselector.com/guide_categories/4/guides/credit-cards-for-non-australian-residents

Is there a particular reason why you need an Australian card? I guess it could be easier to replace if you lose it while you are in Australia.

Edit: I just saw that you are based in Mackay as well as Texas, so the 28degree card maybe ok for you.

Edited by croydonCruiser

Thanks everyone for the answers so far. We always get extra travel insurance on big trips but find the free card insurance is great for anything minor on short in country trips.

The reason I want an Aussie credit card is that we are Australians. I'm living back in Qld the majority of the time after 11 years living in Houston. My husband's work is still based in Houston, he is a dual Citizen, so you could say he lives in both countries. We still use our Untied (absolutely amazing for perks) credit card but thought it wise to get a good Aussie card again to use for back up.

I'm not worried about the card being compromised. I've had that happen multiple times and it gets sorted out in the end. I've used Visa, MasterCard and Amex so the 'name' doesn't bother me. I guess I'm looking for a good value card that gives me some of the perks I'm used to.

So does anyone have any experience with cards that offer any of the items in my original question?

Thanks

Edited by joandian

I don't know of any card in Australia that will give you all the perks.

28 Degrees does not charge international exchange rate fees.

Mastercard and Visa (certain ones) will give free travel insurance, but they have to be compared with each other and with 'paid-for' travel insurance.

I have no experience with airline CC that might give you 'miles'. They are probably available.

You need to compare what each one offers and decide which benefits you the most.

Bankwest Qantas Platinum Mastercard has no fees on overseas or online transactions plus Qantas frequent flyer points earned at .75 points per dollar spend. Unfortunately this is being reduced to .5 points on 1 july. Cost is $160 p/a and includes complimentary travel insurance.

Bankwest Zero Platinum card has both complimentary travel insurance and zero overseas transaction fees - and no annual fee. I have had the 28 Degrees one in the past, however dumped it for the Bankwest one's free travel insurance (underwritten by Allianz).

Bankwest Qantas Platinum Mastercard has no fees on overseas or online transactions plus Qantas frequent flyer points earned at .75 points per dollar spend. Unfortunately this is being reduced to .5 points on 1 july. Cost is $160 p/a and includes complimentary travel insurance.

Thanks! I'll check it out. :)

Bankwest Zero Platinum card has both complimentary travel insurance and zero overseas transaction fees - and no annual fee. I have had the 28 Degrees one in the past, however dumped it for the Bankwest one's free travel insurance (underwritten by Allianz).

Thank You. I'll check this one too :)

We have the bankwest world. Currently 1point/$

No overseas transaction fees.

Capped at $99 pa.

We were upgraded from the original bankwest platinum card, I believe invite only, but the 1 point/$ to qantas for a MasterCard ( with bonus points on application at times) is a winner for us.