Are mini bars actually empty when boarding now?

Can you imagine paying that very high price for a beer that has been hot, cold, hot, cold, hot, cold..................:eek:

We call that skunking.

I always wondered if people realized they were ruining the beer by doing that; not that I've ever bought a less than cold beer out of one of them

In January the Magic was still stocked. At first, I wasn't a fan of this idea if it is the sign of things to come.

However, the more I thought about it maybe it is a good idea. First, think of all the man hours saved by not having to stock/unstock it and inventory the contents.

I usually buy a few 4-packs of beer pre-cruise and the water package for the room. Then I get stuck rotating warm beers a few at a time into the small open space in the fridge, same with the waters.

Now, I am thinking this isn't a bad idea. I wonder if it also has anything to do with encouraging the purchase of drink packages?

Can you imagine paying that very high price for a beer that has been hot, cold, hot, cold, hot, cold..................:eek:

Just one of the MANY reasons we would never purchase anything from the minibar. No idea how fresh it is or how many times it's been been and out of refrigeration. :cool:

What do you think they did with them after they take everything out?

Years ago we asked that the mini bar be emptied. They took everything out and put it all in one of the desk drawers. I am positive that stuff got loaded right back in when we left.... :rolleyes:

In January the Magic was still stocked. At first, I wasn't a fan of this idea if it is the sign of things to come.

However, the more I thought about it maybe it is a good idea. First, think of all the man hours saved by not having to stock/unstock it and inventory the contents.

I usually buy a few 4-packs of beer pre-cruise and the water package for the room. Then I get stuck rotating warm beers a few at a time into the small open space in the fridge, same with the waters.

Now, I am thinking this isn't a bad idea. I wonder if it also has anything to do with encouraging the purchase of drink packages?

I think it's 100% good idea and can't think of any correlation between empty fridges and the drink package. Maybe the room stewards shared how often the drinks are taken out only for them to put the stuff back in again. Rinse, wash, repeat. Just leave them empty works for most everyone. Put whatever you want in there or nothing at all. End of story.

He already stated that all mini fridges will be empty on embarkation. However, it seems like it hasn't been implemented fleet wide yet.

Glad to see this change. We always empty it out to put our own stuff in it and will save us the trouble of taking it out and the steward putting stuff back in when we leave.

On the Sunshine in January our balcony cabin refrig was empty which made us very happy :D I loaded it with bottles of water from the 12 pack we'd purchased onboard and it was great to be able to pull out a nice cold bottle of water at will.

So what happens if I desire a Gin & Tonic on my balcony at 11 at night? Can I request the normal Mini-bar configuration instead of the empty fridge?

Never did understand why people thought it was "beneath them" to empty the mini-bar themselves (oh steward!, please prostate yourself and empty out my mini-bar, I'll reward you handsomely with a $1.00 tip).

So what happens if I desire a Gin & Tonic on my balcony at 11 at night? Can I request the normal Mini-bar configuration instead of the empty fridge?

Never did understand why people thought it was "beneath them" to empty the mini-bar themselves (oh steward!, please prostate yourself and empty out my mini-bar, I'll reward you handsomely with a $1.00 tip).

You can walk to a bar and get the drink. Or get one on your way back to the cabin. Who ever said emptying out the fridge was beneath them? Is going to get your own drink beneath you? I doubt it. I think it's just the point that they noticed most people didn't use the stuff so just let people put what they want in there.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

The main reason I asked them to empty it was so that I couldn't be held responsible if something went missing. They moved it so they knew what was there. Plus I never knew really where to put it. Oftentimes it would end up in a bag under the bed.

I'm not sure about the drink part. Perhaps you could order one from room service? I honestly don't know.

I also prefer them empty, I don't drink soda, I have the Cheers program so no need to use the liquor in the cabin, I don't really use my balcony to want a drink on it but if I do, I would just go get one since the Lido deck is only one deck above me and there are many places there to get a drink.

Now that the Cheers program includes water/vitamin water I can get a couple of those and keep them in my cabin and not need to go crazy figuring out how to get them in without moving the other stuff.

I bet they aren't making much money on those minibars or they wouldn't be making this change, and it's a PITA for the steward to be emptying and filling them. And now that bottled water is so cheap (I know it went up a dollar but it's still cheap), I bet more people are buying it and asking the steward to bring ice. So if the frig' starts out empty and my bottled water goes in it, that's 2 less tasks for the stewards. It seems like they are pretty overworked so it's nice to see Carnival taking something off their plates.

We call that skunking.

I always wondered if people realized they were ruining the beer by doing that; not that I've ever bought a less than cold beer out of one of them

FYI: Skunking is only a concern with bottled beer (especially beers in light-couloured or clear bottles), not canned. Skunking is caused by light, not temperature.;)

Was just curious as I hadn't seen a topic related to this. Just wanted to know if anybody recently off a cruise (specifically Liberty) has embarked with their mini bar fridge thing already empty? Also if it is empty, to get it stocked like normal do you contact your steward or room service or guest services?

it was just announced on john heald's FB page that, effective the end of the month, they will no longer stock. it will be the policy but i may have the effective date wrong. check his FB page.

I am still feeling it's a way to layoff staff and save money. But that's just my opinion.

Maybe next they will hand out bar soap at check-in!

Wait, I got it how about a self serve grill area where you can grill your own hot dogs?

They can charge $10 a dog that you cook yourself.

But wait, I see an entire cottage industry designing Rum Runners for hot dogs.

Damn, I'm getting rich just thinking about it.

Edited by jamesr3939

Neither of our cabins this last week on Magic had anything in the mini bar.

When I asked our steward why, he said it was a revenue decision, and that most people asked for the stuff to be removed anyway. He did say you could ask for it to be filled.

Anyway, thats what he said. I never used it and its a good thing too, the mini box/fridge/bar is not working.

I am still feeling it's a way to layoff staff and save money. But that's just my opinion.

Maybe next they will hand out bar soap at check-in!

Wait, I got it how about a self serve grill area where you can grill your own hot dogs?

They can charge $10 a dog that you cook yourself.

But wait, I see an entire cottage industry designing Rum Runners for hot dogs.

Damn, I'm getting rich just thinking about it.

How the heck is this a layoff staff thing?