6 Passenger Whale Watching Boats vs. the Weather?

namaste1223

Hi all-

I first posted this question in a thread about the whale watching options in Juneau, but it seems it might have gotten buried, so I thought I'd give the question it's own thread:

On the Harv and Marv website, it mentions that occasionally because of weather conditions, the water may be too rough for the smaller 6 passenger boats and they would make every effort to accommodate any passengers on a cancelled 6 person trip into another tour on one of their larger boats, space permitting. Does anyone have any experience with this, or any idea how often this actually happens? Is it worth it to take the chance of being shut out of an excursion altogether because of booking the smaller boat?

Cancellations will happened more often with smaller boats although there aren’t a lot of posts regarding it so the chances are minimal. We had a poor experience with Harv and Marv a couple years ago. It was so rough we had to change to a larger boat while out on the water. Here’s a thread regarding the trip and a couple others.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1865127&highlight=rough

We are going next May and are about to book Harv and Marv and am really stuck as well,don't want to miss this tour so thinking we might go with the 12 people tour,I really would prefer the small tour but at risk of not being able to get on the bigger boat if they cancel I think I will have to just book the bigger one,,,, and it is cheaper!