Quickest way from Hyde Park to St. Pancras?

mamkmm2

Probably taxi.

There isn't any such thing, though, as the "Hyde Park area". It's a pretty big park, and answers will be different depending on exactly where you're starting from. For example, are you right next door to Hyde Park Corner Tube station, or are you 15 minutes walk from any Tube station?

For those in the know, what would you consider the quickest route from Hyde Park area to St. Pancras very early in the morning? The Tube? Walking?

Will you be staying at a hotel near Hyde Park? If you give us the name of your hotel, we will be able to provide you with specific info. Hyde Park is huge - like Central Park in NYC. So, where, specifically will you be in regards to Hyde Park?

For example, on one of our visits we stayed near Hyde Park - at the London Marriott Hotel Grosvenor Square & used the Tube (Bond).

Edited by dogs4fun

Just get a taxi - from Queensway (nearest tube station) you'd have to do the Central line to Oxford Circus, change to Victoria line to St Pancras. If there's 4 or more of you the cost for a taxi is about the same as the tube and half the blood, sweat and tears!!

For those in the know, what would you consider the quickest route from Hyde Park area to St. Pancras very early in the morning? The Tube? Walking?

As member theardlies stated, a taxi for 4 works out to be fairly economical and hassle free but you requested the *quickest* method to St Pancras is the tube, without question. Making the transfer from the Central line to the Victoria line is easy and the ride time is very quick. If you are in a taxi almost any time in that area of London, the ride is going to take awhile. Assuming you are trying to catch a train, Eurostar maybe (?) then you'd need to allot quite a bit of transit time for the taxi. On the flip side for the tube ride, you'll just need to be sure you have your Oyster cards ready and topped up for the trip...and if you've already been using the tube during your London visit, chances are your Oyster cards might already be in good shape!

I *have* used taxis in London but only when I had way too much luggage to manage the tube - too much for stairs and crowding the riders in the carriages. I aim to pack better - London cabbies are always great but the tube rocks ;) Have a wonderful trip :)

You mentioned a very early start, and time of day also comes into the equation.

First tube train from Queensway is at twenty minutes to six in the morning, don't expect to be at St Pancras before 6am, so if your Eurostar departs before 6.45am the tube won't do the job for you.

https://tfl.gov.uk/modes/tube/first-and-last-tube

JB :)

As member theardlies stated, a taxi for 4 works out to be fairly economical and hassle free but you requested the *quickest* method to St Pancras is the tube, without question. Making the transfer from the Central line to the Victoria line is easy and the ride time is very quick. If you are in a taxi almost any time in that area of London, the ride is going to take awhile.
Sorry, I have to disagree with all of this, given the context that the OP wants to do it "very early in the morning".

IIRC, Queensway station only has lifts, so this can be a slow way of getting to the platforms. And the change from Central Line to Victoria Line at Oxford Circus is not that easy, unlike a change between the Bakerloo Line and the Victoria Line there (if heading in the same direction, which is in effect a cross-platform change).

In contrast, "very early in the morning" the actual driving time from the hotel to St Pancras should be in the region of 15 minutes.

Well, the information I have here definitely changes what I had hoped to be able to do. I have two choices ... a cab (for the two of us) from our hotel or close by then to St. Pancras for our 6 am check in (tour group)

or

a relatively quick walk from our hotel to Oxford St. station for the first tube of the day and then take that to King's Cross/St. Pancras.

Next question, how early do the cab's run in London? I'll be honest here and say in my nearly 50 years of life I've never taken a cab so consider me a total novice and be gentle. :o

Next question, how early do the cab's run in London?
24 hours a day, 7 days a week.

BTW, I think you mean Queensway station - as far as I can see, that's the closest Tube station to your hotel. Also, the main road that runs along the northern edge of Hyde Park there is Bayswater Road, not Oxford Street.

24 hours a day, 7 days a week.

BTW, I think you mean Queensway station - as far as I can see, that's the closest Tube station to your hotel. Also, the main road that runs along the northern edge of Hyde Park there is Bayswater Road, not Oxford Street.

Yes, exactly. As you can tell I'm a little rattled at suddenly having to change plans. I'll get over it but I still feel silly for having missed something so obvious as to what time the tube started running in the morning. :rolleyes:

Using walk-it.com I figured out that it is a 30 minute walk at a decent clip from our hotel to the Oxford Street tube station and then it is an 8 minute tube ride from Oxford Street tube station to King's Cross/St. Pancras then we'll need time to find the meet up point which is on the St. Pancras/Eurostar side of things.

I'm thinking cab is better. LOL. Save the confusion and time. Just a matter of locating the best place to get the cab that time of the morning ... we have to check in at 6 am at St. Pancras.

Using walk-it.com I figured out that it is a 30 minute walk at a decent clip from our hotel to the Oxford Street tube station and then it is an 8 minute tube ride from Oxford Street tube station to King's Cross/St. Pancras then we'll need time to find the meet up point which is on the St. Pancras/Eurostar side of things.
If you're looking for "fast", you certainly wouldn't want to walk from your hotel to Oxford Circus station (not Oxford Street station). I don't think you could do it in 30 minutes unless you were power walking; it's almost exactly 2 miles, and it's hard to maintain an average of 4 miles an hour on city streets when you have to deal with crossing numerous side streets and two complex junctions (Lancaster Gate and Marble Arch).

If you wanted to hail a cab on the street, just walk out onto Bayswater Road. You're already on the correct side for inbound traffic, so you don't even have to cross the road. However, there is a certain randomness involved in that; while 5.30 am would probably be fine for getting a cab on a weekday, there's always the possbility of getting unlucky (especially at the weekend). But there are apps and websites for booking them in advance; alternatively, your hotel will no doubt be able to organise a minicab (aka private hire car).

Well, the information I have here definitely changes what I had hoped to be able to do. I have two choices ... a cab (for the two of us) from our hotel or close by then to St. Pancras for our 6 am check in (tour group)

or

a relatively quick walk from our hotel to Oxford St. station for the first tube of the day and then take that to King's Cross/St. Pancras.

Next question, how early do the cab's run in London? I'll be honest here and say in my nearly 50 years of life I've never taken a cab so consider me a total novice and be gentle. :o

Might be a nice experience, then, to have a nice hassle free 1st time ever London taxi ride to St. Pancras so that you arrive on time to meet your tour group at 6 am. I was not sure what "very early morning" meant, especially to someone on holiday when I gave my first reply. I would be outside for the taxi by 5:30am on Bayswater Road as it may come by in a minute or in five; some taxis also just head to ranks to queue up and collect passengers as opposed to riding along streets - it varies. The London black taxi experience is cool - you'll even see souvenir magnets for sale throughout the city as the taxi is a familiar traffic icon of the city - along with the double deck bus - so many people seem to need a reminder to bring home with them for their fridge! :D

Don't worry about not knowing about taxis until now - if you are not from a city or town that has or needs a taxi system like London, NYC or Paris then how or why would you need to know about taxis? Moreover, even when traveling, a lot of the time transfers (ground transportation) are included with holiday packages or on cruises...taxis just aren't ever an issue. In many cases I've seen travel guides just flat out say "don't even think of taking a taxi" (usually in the city I lived my life in, NYC!!) but again, if one knew how/when the time to do so was right (like now, for you in London) well, there are good times to take a taxi. Otherwise...like you, most people really don't ever have to worry about taking taxis! So...if you DO decide to take the taxi on this holiday - leave a little extra time (I just always do) and enjoy the "first" experience and your tour. :)

Edited by Host Bonjour

or

Take the taxi. Let the concierge/front desk know, when you check in, about your travel plans/needs (date, time, destination etc.) as they are very helpful and will have you set to go. My husband and I traveled to St. Pancras via taxi from a Westminster hotel around the same time of day and it took no more than 15 minutes on a Saturday morning with streets blocked off for a major event three years ago. We were novices at the "taxi" thing as well.

You are in good hands. :D

I highly recommend the tube for other travels around London (quick, efficient, easy to learn, great signage and helpful folks all round). We are old folks and got up to speed with it quickly. We are headed back this summer and I am most excited about topping off my Oyster card again. :p

Taxi without a doubt. You don't want to be lugging suitcase through unfamiliar tube stations with a deadline to meet.

The evening before your departure talk to the concierge at your hotel the evening before you depart. Arrange for a fast checkout and an early call (Croissant and coffee?), and ask him/her to arrange a taxi for you. With a 6am meeting, I would aim to leave at 5:30.

Taxi without a doubt. You don't want to be lugging suitcase through unfamiliar tube stations with a deadline to meet.

The evening before your departure talk to the concierge at your hotel the evening before you depart. Arrange for a fast checkout and an early call (Croissant and coffee?), and ask him/her to arrange a taxi for you. With a 6am meeting, I would aim to leave at 5:30.

Not a departure but a day-trip to Paris. Same principle holds however so I understand.

Sorry, I have to disagree with all of this, given the context that the OP wants to do it "very early in the morning".

IIRC, Queensway station only has lifts, so this can be a slow way of getting to the platforms. And the change from Central Line to Victoria Line at Oxford Circus is not that easy, unlike a change between the Bakerloo Line and the Victoria Line there (if heading in the same direction, which is in effect a cross-platform change).

In contrast, "very early in the morning" the actual driving time from the hotel to St Pancras should be in the region of 15 minutes.

Absolutely - in fact I'd back a cabbie against the tube door-to-door almost always for this journey.

Cab is the right way to go, but I think there's a possible alternative tube route using the Circle/District from Bayswater and Circle/H&C after a x-platform change at Edgware Road. Runs slightly earlier. But cab is the way to go :)