Xmas/NY cruise? Also advice re: Akaroa.

Hi all,

I'm considering a Princess cruise around New Zealand which would cover Christmas Day and New Year's Eve.

There's quite a premium on the price compared to similar itineraries at other times. I expect there'll be decorations, a Christmas dinner and NYE party, can I expect much more in the way of extras at this time of year?

I'm also interested in hearing your experiences tendering at Akaroa. We'd like to visit family based in Christchurch and are wondering how reliably the tenders actually get into port, or is it one of those places that is often missed due to weather?

Finally, anyone lugged a suitcase or other bulky stuff on and off a tender, are the cruise lines ok with that? We'll have presents!

I can't say how many make it in, but if you have a look here http://www.akaroa.com/cruise-ships/cruise-schedule you can see there was around 70 scheduled this season. We made it in on a beautiful day in December but you are always in the hands of the gods when it comes to the weather unfortunately.

I haven't seen folks lugging items off the ship on a tender but I have seen plenty lugging stuff back from shore so i can't see why it would be too much of a problem going the other way? I would just try not to hit peak hour for the tenders.

Which Christmas trip are you looking at?

Most of the price premium is just for the popularity. If they priced down low, they'd sell out much quicker (then all the people booking late would miss out). Just based on demand, since almost everyone can sail then, and the ships are easy to fill.

There may be a small Christmas gift for children, a special menu or similar, but there isn't a massive difference in inclusions. NYE will have a party, champagne as well, sometimes nick-nacks.

I believe Akaroa is generally good, but it can be windy/stormy so it does have the occasional miss for tenders.

We are booked on this one and it's our first Christmas-New Year cruise. I am hoping the atmosphere will be jolly.:D

I agree the prices are at a premium. We booked last August, but to date there hasn't been a whisker of discounting, yet the Tasmania cruise we are doing before this has seen some very good ones.

Spent Xmas/NY on the Golden a few years ago as we rounded Cape Horn. Very enjoyable, an extra large champagne fountain with all the extras and carols performed by the crew, special menu for Christmas Dinner and the group at our table absolutely loved the Traditional English Christmas Pudding, and the Traditional Australian Christmas Pudding and the Traditional South African Christmas Pudding, and the Trad.....