I Need Your Input....

My husband and I are mid 50's but mentally 30!

I am not here to bash a cruise line nor be disrespectful of ages.

We just came off of a Transatlantic Med cruise. We only have 8 sailings under our belt so I am seeking some information for our next cruise.

I have always liked Royal but based on itinerary have gone on other lines. I think I want to go back to Royal. It has been my experience in the past no matter which ship, it had younger passengers and overall more fun and energy.

Does Royal have a status tier where those of higher rankings have their own dining restaurant and cocktail lounge? What I am asking, is it segregated as some other cruise lines?

I was told by a cruise line customer assistant that transatlantics always have and older age group. I'm fine with that but I just don't want to be on a ship that everyone is tucked in by 11pm.

Can you Loyal Royals brief me on the pros of Royal. Has anyone done transatlantics? Panamal Canal? Europe?

Are the ships refurbished?

How is the food?

I think I miss Royal Caribbean!

We just came off of a Transatlantic Med cruise. We only have 8 sailings under our belt so I am seeking some information for our next cruise.

I have always liked Royal but based on itinerary have gone on other lines. I think I want to go back to Royal. It has been my experience in the past no matter which ship, it had younger passengers and overall more fun and energy.

Does Royal have a status tier where those of higher rankings have their own dining restaurant and cocktail lounge? What I am asking, is it segregated as some other cruise lines?

I was told by a cruise line customer assistant that transatlantics always have and older age group. I'm fine with that but I just don't want to be on a ship that everyone is tucked in by 11pm.

Can you Loyal Royals brief me on the pros of Royal. Has anyone done transatlantics? Panamal Canal? Europe?

How is the food?

Well I'm 40 and booked on a cruise that has the nickname cane and scotter but like the iternery ask me in June what's it's like cruising with and older group though on my first cruise last September the ones that were partying better then me were my 80 year old table mates they had me in stitches laughing about how they were confused going to bed because one lift had Tuesday on it the other Wednesday age is just a number

Royal has a Diamond Lounge which is for C&A members Diamond and above. It is not really a segregated cocktail lounge as drinks are only served during the nightly event. There are no restaurants based on status though some ships to have restaurants specifically for suite guests.

How is the food?

From my experience, the longer the cruise, the older the passengers tend to be. We've done Europe (Baltic) and the Panama Canal (note Royal does not have any Panama Canal cruises on the schedule, not sure when there will be again) and both were longer cruises (14 and 15 days respectively) and hence not many kids and generally an older crowd.

All the ships go to dry dock periodically and most if not all have had major refurbishments. As for the food, I think it's great but you'll get all kinds of opinions on that as food is very subjective.

Most (but not all) young'uns have jobs (or kids) that they can't leave for extended periods of time. We cruise with our kids (don't want to pull them out of school for too long). We also can't take more than a week at a time off work. So shorter Caribbean sailings work best for us.

As soon as you go to longer sailings (or departure ports that require a cross-Atlantic flight), you will find the crowd ages a bit.

But them I'm a 40 something that needs to be in bed by 11 (midnight if I'm really pushing it). So the older crowd just might be more fun :D

Most (but not all) young'uns have jobs (or kids) that they can't leave for extended periods of time. We cruise with our kids (don't want to pull them out of school for too long). We also can't take more than a week at a time off work. So shorter Caribbean sailings work best for us.

As soon as you go to longer sailings (or departure ports that require a cross-Atlantic flight), you will find the crowd ages a bit.

But them I'm a 40 something that needs to be in bed by 11 (midnight if I'm really pushing it). So the older crowd just might be more fun :D

That just about sums it up [emoji4]

DH and I are both in our mid-40's :eek::eek: (HOW DID THIS HAPPEN?:eek:)

DD is 17 going on 30:rolleyes:

We are normally Carnival cruisers, however, this year, we decided to try one of the BIG girls out......

From reading these boards, the demographics on BOTH lines seem to be similar. Young families, up to cruisers in the 80's or even 90's.

That's important to us.

I do NOT want to be stuck on a floating nursing home.......:D

There will be plenty of time for that in the future.......:D

Couldn't have said it better! :p

There is a lounge for Diamond and above members in the loyalty program, but not separate restaurant.

I have not done a transatlantic sailing, but it makes sense that those would be an older crowd than other, shorter sailings, as retired people are more likely to be able to have the time for a longer cruise. (It won't be exclusively retired passengers, but certainly more so than on a 7 night or shorter cruise.)

The ships go through dry dock and get refurbished about every 5 years. The degree of refurbishment during dry dock can vary, but if you're interested in any particular ship, it's easy to do an internet search or ask here for details about the last time it was in dry dock (or next time it's scheduled) and what kind of updates/refurbishment were done.

The food, in my opinion, is good, but you'll get all sorts of varying opinions from those who love it to those who think it's worse than going to Denny's (then again, you can probably find some who think Denny's is great). You can also find menus on line, which will give you an idea of the dishes that they serve, both in the main dining room and in specialty restaurants.

Edited by Paul65

There is a lounge for Diamond and above members in the loyalty program, but not separate restaurant.

I have not done a transatlantic sailing, but it makes sense that those would be an older crowd than other, shorter sailings, as retired people are more likely to be able to have the time for a longer cruise. (It won't be exclusively retired passengers, but certainly more so than on a 7 night or shorter cruise.)

The ships go through dry dock and get refurbished about every 5 years. The degree of refurbishment during dry dock can vary, but if you're interested in any particular ship, it's easy to do an internet search or as here for details about the last time it was in dry dock (or next time it's scheduled) and what kind of updates/refurbishment were done.

The food, in my opinion, is good, but you'll get all sorts of varying opinions from those who love it to those who think it's worse than going to Denny's (then again, you can probably find some who think Denny's is great). You can also find menus on line, which will give you an idea of the dishes that they serve, both in the main dining room and in specialty restaurants.

Hey!!!! What's wrong with Denny's?:D:D

We were in bed by 10 when we were in our 30s!

We did a B2B last year, a 14-day followed by an 11-day. Many more older people on the 14-day (55+). To do a 14-day cruise, especially repositioning, no one granted just two weeks of vacation a year could do it! Because it took another two days minimum getting to the cities. For the 11-day, the average age dropped about 10 years (average 40s). This was possible for people only granted two weeks of vacation a year.

The younger people, in their 20s and 30s probably don't have the job seniority or money do do long cruises.

Edited by knittinggirl

We started on Carnival and our 2nd cruise was RCL and we found a home. Carnival was not a good fit. Too much of a party cruise. But things change over time.

Since then we have cruised RCL well over 20 times and with the innovation on the ships and the itinerary options, we find this is a good home. We have jumped from Junior Suites to Grand Suites and that gives us access to the Suites Lounges (formerly Concierge Lounges) and since we have been Diamonds for about a decade, there have been many memorable evening sessions in the Diamond Lounge.

During this period we also have used Celebrity for our Luxury Cruises. The cuisine is consistently better than Carnival, Holland, Princess and Most RCL ships. However the Chefs dinners on both Celebrity and RCL remain among the best dinners afloat with the only possible exception (IMO) being Private Chef Dinners at Celebrity's Murano Specialty Restaurant.

Since RCL Status transfers to Celebrity we have taken advantage so this to the point that we are Elite and well on our way to higher levels.

I anticipate using Celebrity extensively upon my retirement and some RCL too, but until then we look at this as a natural upgrade path that makes sense. Celebrity also has a nightly cocktail party for it's Elite members.

I hope this helps.

Well, I'm in my 30's and im definitely in bed by 11, haha! I spend my whole day running around and playing in the sun and there's no way I have the energy to stay up all night drinking or having any knd of fun past 11...I guess I'm lame :)

I also travel with my teenager, so my activities revolve around family friendly things, which don't include staying up or going dancing or drinking late into the night. I think you'll find a bit of a catch-22 in what you seek because people like me who are young and (supposedly) vibrant are on a family schedule and on our best family behavior, so we might not be as much fun as if you'd caught us on a night out at home, but the older crowd is, well, older, and done with the late nights and the activities that might be a bit harder on the body.

Honestly, I think you'll have more fun on a ship where there are less couples, and less parents, regardless of age, because single people seem to be a bit more willing to seek out and include others in group activities that are "fun" after 10 or 11 at night. In my experience, my most fun friends are the single ones who don't have kids :)

Trans Atlantics always have a bunch of older folks! Go someplace where something is HAPPENING! Long cruises also have an older clientele...

I like to do my "partying" early....I don't need to stay up until 2 am...totally drunk folks are out and about then!

We really don't care about age....we just want to have fun!

We were in bed by 10 when we were in our 30s!

We did a B2B last year, a 14-day followed by an 11-day. Many more older people on the 14-day (55+). To do a 14-day cruise, especially repositioning, no one granted just two weeks of vacation a year could do it! Because it took another two days minimum getting to the cities. For the 11-day, the average age dropped about 10 years (average 40s). This was possible for people only granted two weeks of vacation a year.

The younger people, in their 20s and 30s probably don't have the job seniority or money do do long cruises.

I would totally do a transatlantic cruise if they happened during the summer when my kid is out of school. I think some of the problem with these longer cruises isn't so much that they're long, but that they don't happen during times of year parents can go. I am in my 30's and I have the money for the long trips, and I have a very flexible schedule for them, but my kid doesn't. Dang kids.

How is the food?

We are "approximately" in the same age group...but that really says little as far as I am concerned. Different cruise lines have a little difference to the character of their demographics for a lot of reasons...and age is just part of it...

We've cruised quite a lot...and on eight different cruise lines...And next summer, with some trepidation, we're trying HAL for the first time--though I am still a bit concerned about their reputation...We are Elite Plus on Celebrity, Diamond (just short of Diamond Plus) on Royal, Platinum on Princess...Those loyalty programs are really great on RCCL and on Celebrity...

But, most cruise lines market toward a particular demographic...and to the discerning eye, you can really see the difference...We love Oceania--but, with no kids programs or activities, higher prices and longer cruises, they tend to get an older crowd--and have very little going on after about 10 pm...

Royal ships have a lot of activities and amenities aimed at kids, teens and younger people...and they market adventure, so they get a younger crowd...

At my age, I really prefer Celebrity--since the ships are far less crowded and the service, IMHO, better...but, when bringing our daughters, we know they'd rather be on Royal. For us, since we mostly sit in a lounge or watch a show, Celebrity is perfect (and we find lots to do until well after midnight)...

But, I agree, there is more to do on RCCL--even though I no longer rock climb, surf or ice skate...

Yes, longer cruises tend to attract older demographics--but that is not the only reason with those Transatlantics...Remember, they are, basically, repositioning cruises, so they generally run in Spring or Fall and NOT during school vacations...Therefore, people with kids don't take them...and people who work in the schools (like my wife) can't take them...So, who takes them? A lot of retired folks do...and since it's a lot of days at sea, they'll tack on some time in Europe before flying home (or vice versa), making them even longer...

Generally, though, we've found that with larger ships, there will always be people of ALL ages onboard most cruises...and lots of folks who go to bed early and lots who stay up late...The bigger the ship, the more folks up late--the law of averages...

Also, not all RCCL ships are the same--the bigger, newer ships--the ones with things like skating rinks and surfing pools and zip lines--have a lot more to do...and more going on...and, of course, lots more people...

You're probably talking about Celebrity when you mention the "status tier restaurants"...but, you know, we've cruised Celebrity a lot and the Blu and Luminae restaurants don't bother us a bit--We dine in the MDR...and MOST of the passengers dine in the MDR...You won't see half of everyone at dinner on ANY ship anyway...because not everyone eats together no matter what ship...And, there are plenty of dining choices other than those restaurants...

IMHO, EVERYTHING on Royal is a giant step above Carnival (who I see you have also sailed)...and, again, IMHO, Celebrity is a clear large step above Royal in terms of food, service, spaciousness, etc. Royal snares the highest marks for entertainment--especially on the large ships where they have the water shows, the ice shows and the Broadway musicals. Nobody else in the business comes close...RCCL also scores high points for the activities--especially if you have kids or teens or if you, yourself, are still crazy enough to want to surf, rock climb or ice skate (We have done the Zip Line on Allure a couple of times and, just for kicks, the carousel).

Our next Royal cruises will be next summer (2017), back to back, in the Mediterranean on the Jewel--one of RCCL's smaller and older ships--but, from our experience, in the Med, those amenities and activities are a bit secondary--a lot of ports and we always spend long days touring in port in Europe, so we are always a bit more "wiped out" when returning to the ship--so we mostly want to eat, drink, and relax--doesn't mean we're going to bed after dinner, but better to just find a nice lounge, drink and talk to people, maybe see some entertainment.

As to "segregated cocktail lounges", yes, RCCL has its Diamond Lounge and Suite Lounges--as does Celebrity...and HAL...and Princess, like Celebrity, has a lounge reserved for "Platinum and above"--but they don't serve free drinks like RCCL and Celebrity! But, again, since most people aren't in those, you won't notice it anyway...until you attain that level--when you will really appreciate it!

Oh, BTW, Europe is my favorite place to cruise--because of all of the art, architecture, history, culture, etc. Very different than, say, a Caribbean cruise where most people are there to snorkel, swim and lay out on the beach and get tans...

We've also cruised to Alaska, Australia/New Zealand, Mexican Riviera, the Caribbean, Panama and Central America and even the Galapagos...There is a different character to cruising in different parts of the world...A lot depends on what you want to get out of the experience...We like to mix it up and do something different each time...though, if I had to pick one, it would be the Mediterranean...

Edited by Bruin Steve

The only other line we have cruised with is Celebrity.

For those who book a Grand Suite or above on some ships.

I am 75 but my brain thinks I'm still about 40. Retired people have more time. :D

Can you Loyal Royals brief me on the pros of Royal. Has anyone done transatlantics? Panama Canal? Europe?

We have done all of the above on Royal Caribbean. Leaving in a few days for a TA and more European cruising.

You will need to look up the ships individually since refurbishment is an ongoing cycle. Or if you are lucky Bob will see your post and he can probably answer the question. :)

How is the food?

Food is Subjective. For us it is fine.

There are many places to go and experience. Your question about Europe.....

there are lots of cruises to Europe and typically a ship will be Western Europe, Mediterranean, Baltic, or Adriatic with other areas thrown in. It will take more than a cruise or two.

Time to book and start counting the days. :D

Edited by SPacificbound

I'm learning this is all over the place.

We sailed a short 4 night on Carnival from NYC to Canada years ago.....on the party ship.....and everything was dead after 10pm.

We sailed on Disney from Port Canaveral and expected everyone to be in bed early.....but they were not.

This June will be our first RC cruise to Bermuda from NJ and we are hoping for the busier and later type crowds.

I am 40, wife is 39......if we can stagger back to the room around 3am after dancing, drinking, socializing with others and maybe a night in the hot tubs.....I will be a happy cruiser.