Help! Size of Safes in cabins

Pookill17

Has anyone been able to fit a laptop in the cabin safe? We are booked in an aft penthouse if that makes a difference.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

My 8" Samsung Tab4 fit in the safe at an angle but no way a laptop would unless it's a mini. There are two safes in the Aft Penthouses on the Gem (and probably the rest of the Jewel class ships) so it was in one and the rest of our valuables were in the other safe. I doubt you really need to lock it up but if you want to, just lock it in your luggage under the bed when not in use. That's what we did with my sister's when in a hotel.

Thanks everyone. This is a huge deal for my husband, who I'm sure would save his laptop before me should we have to abandon ship! His laptop is 12" wide so we'll see what happens.

Has anyone been able to fit a laptop in the cabin safe? We are booked in an aft penthouse if that makes a difference.

I've not been concerned about theft of something that size. You're on a very small floating island with few get-away opportunities. Of course, I make sure I sign off so my content is protected. FYI..some of the Suites have laptops provided.

There's a chance it will fit on the diagonal, but it might be too big.

Does your laptop have a port for attaching a cable lock? If so, you could always bring one of those, and find a place to lock it to. You'd just have to find some immovable object in the cabin that you can loop the cable around.

Just check Amazon for a Kensington cable lock.

There's a chance it will fit on the diagonal, but it might be too big.

Does your laptop have a port for attaching a cable lock? If so, you could always bring one of those, and find a place to lock it to. You'd just have to find some immovable object in the cabin that you can loop the cable around.

Just check Amazon for a Kensington cable lock.

Thanks. He actually just went out and bought one so hopefully that will be good enough.

Password lock - always - your devices while unattended, whether it's a smartphone, tablet or laptop/netbook, etc. - some of them have 2+ layers of locking, use at least a 6 digit (alpha-numeric) PIN code for screen lock if available instead of 4 digits.

I put mine away inside the desk drawer to minimize the opportunity theft - Kensington cable lock will slow down someone determined to walk away with the device, not going to be 99.5% effective stopping its theft.

Edited by mking8288

I agree with others that it won't fit. My iPad barely fit into the safe, and that was only if I angled it up and rested it on a diagonal against the back wall.

I don't think theft is a huge concern, but even with a cable lock, I wouldn't leave it on the desk. The doors get propped open when the cabin is being cleaned. I know the stewards aren't supposed to leave the cabin when the door is open, but you never know. Someone could purposely distract them and draw them down the hall to another cabin, etc. I would probably leave a laptop inside a locked suitcase.

Thanks. He actually just went out and bought one so hopefully that will be good enough.

Great! With a lock on your laptop, a lock on your stateroom door, and the fact that you're in a suite, I don't think you'll need to worry much.

OP, it also depend on the size of DH's notebook/laptop PC and the ship ...

older Jewel/Dawn class ship have a slightly bigger safe, here's what they looked like (on the Jewel) - I used to travel with a 12" Dell Latitude and it just fit inside by tilting https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/64025118/NCL%20Cruising%20-%20General/SDC8080.JPG

(Gem) - https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/64025118/NCL%20Cruising%20-%20General/SDC10331.JPG

The *Away class/mega-ships have a smaller (by at least 25%) mini-safe, our iPad 3 and iPad Air (9.7" screen) also just fit by tilting - shown here on the BA with the leather case (slim/magnetic case would fit "easier") with plenty of room for other smaller items. I'm not sure even if our 11.6" Sony Viao notebook can be squeeze in.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/64025118/2015%20NCL%20BA/IMG20150323_1336%20%281024x768%29.jpg