how long does HAL usually take to respond to complaints ?

Lovely other

Unfortunately,bullying is very prevalent in today's society,nobody Male or Female,should stand for it.Anyone witnessed someone come to a bullys aid when they get their just desserts.No didnt think so.Chin up,head held high girly,you are not alone.:):):):):)I love watching bullys get taken down,in what ever form.Just saying.

Agreed! Even though her Italian might have been "a little rusty" she should have given it right back to them! That would have shut them up and she would have felt better about herself instead of crying and feeling like a victim. I always told my kids to stand up for themselves because you can't always count on other people to do it for you. (In this case HAL)

When I read the first post it seemed to me that the poster was asking about HAL's process for handling customer complaints.

She was not asking for validation of her complaint. She was not asking for the usual cadre of posters who, with startling regularity, seem to defend HAL and discount a poster's comments for everything even though they have zero knowledge of the specific situation.

Her question about her customer service issue and what to expect from the process was telling. There appears to be NO process, no reasonable acknowledgement process, and the results of an initial contact with HAL's customer service people seem to be haphazard at best.

That is not good enough for a customer service organization IMHO, especially one in the hospitality business.

Thank you for that post, I agree!

I take back thecomment noythingchanvedc wHFCDI've

Judging from some postdsts in this thread, it apperars we have new Hosts or moderartors or thosre playing tht role, sellf-aqppointed/

Sail, if there's a post you think violates the guidelines, hit the red triangle. Walt can deal with it :)

Agreed! Even though her Italian might have been "a little rusty" she should have given it right back to them! That would have shut them up and she would have felt better about herself instead of crying and feeling like a victim. I always told my kids to stand up for themselves because you can't always count on other people to do it for you. (In this case HAL)

What we think she should or shouldn't have done is not relevant. How you teach your kids is not relevant either. I am sure no lady passenger wants to get into a confrontation with rude contractors. Most of us have a bit too much class to be doing that. Reporting the incident(s) and expecting it to be dealt with by the appropriate HAL staffer was the right thing to do. But they fell down on the job, as usual.

Just to clarify the cause for my complaint isn't service related, even though at times that left a lot to be desired. The issue is that I was constantly ridiculed and harassed by the contractors onboard ... My Italian may be a little rusty but I understand enough to know when I'm being called fat and being laughed at. I like to walk the decks a lot especially during sail away and at one point they were fixing something at the front of deck 3 so I had to cut though the inside rather than walking around as each time I passed they would laugh and make derogatory remarks ... I ended up in tears and although both the front desk and security said they would deal with it I ended up being fobbed off with "it's because they're Italian". I lived and worked in Naples so I know how Italian men can be but I don't think I should have to deal with it on my holiday ....

I am so sorry to read this. I know how excited you were before you left home.

There is no excuse for being rude or for making you feel bad. There is no way that behavior should have gone undisciplined. Saying it was because of where they live is like saying it is acceptable to spit in public as that is acceptable in some countries. Nor should you have addressed it personally.

After putting on significant weight for medical reasons I have endured quite a few humiliating situations. Those workers should have been only allowed onboard if they could behave appropriately and to HAL standards.

This whole scenario is disgusting.

I disagree so much with this. The guest shouldn't be put in a position to need to defend herself. The men were wrong. There isn't any grey area; they were rude and wrong.

When I read the first post it seemed to me that the poster was asking about HAL's process for handling customer complaints.

She was not asking for validation of her complaint. She was not asking for the usual cadre of posters who, with startling regularity, seem to defend HAL and discount a poster's comments for everything even though they have zero knowledge of the specific situation.

Her question about her customer service issue and what to expect from the process was telling. There appears to be NO process, no reasonable acknowledgement process, and the results of an initial contact with HAL's customer service people seem to be haphazard at best.

That is not good enough for a customer service organization IMHO, especially one in the hospitality business.

Yes, she did ask the question of the process and how long it takes to get a response, etc. However, she also stated in her first post her complaint which was vague and that opens it up for questions. She stated in her 2nd post she was "continually harassed" and that the Ship "flobbed" it off. Being continually harassed is a serious accusation and stating that the Ship "flobbed" it off is also a serious accusation if that's what they truly did whereby they did not respond appropriately.

OP stating her complaint in two posts resulted in the opinions that have been posted by others in this thread who did not just answer the question regarding the process. You said it very well when you said that "they have zero knowledge of the specific situation". Your statement applies to everyone on this thread. Only the OP and everyone involved onboard have knowledge of it!

So I guess it works both ways doesn't it! Those that want to know more and will keep an open mind before making a judgement either way and those that are so anti-Cruise Line that they don't question and will believe everything they read without knowing any facts or in your words "zero knowledge"!

To the OP: I'm very sorry to hear you had this issue - no one should EVER be treated (or even think they're being treated) in such a fashion.

Holland America 100% is responsible for this behavior. There are a few in this thread trying to say HAL isn't responsible and that's absolutely, positively, wrong. And HAL itself has policies stating they ARE responsible for contractor behavior (as Copper eloquently pointed out upthread). It's absurd to say this isn't a HAL issue.

Any company should respond ASAP to a customer complaint, be it an issue like the OP has faced or if a customer is upset their towel isn't as soft as they think it should be. If the response will take longer a simple "Thank you for your comments. We will review and be in touch shortly" is not only appropriate but should be mandated.

We've had flooded rooms and a non-functioning toilet on Veendam and Rotterdam and both times we wrote letters we received a response in about 6 weeks. Our letters were sent to the president's office directly (typed up and snail mailed in).

Living overseas might make this a little more tricky and add delays. HAL should have responded quicker and onboard they should have attempted to appease the OP in some way. The fact they didn't is flat-out poor customer service and shouldn't be tolerated.

Living overseas might make this a little more tricky and add delays. HAL should have responded quicker and onboard they should have attempted to appease the OP in some way. The fact they didn't is flat-out poor customer service and shouldn't be tolerated.

HAL has a UK office and due to some of the UK's consumer protection laws there are very strict timelines for replies. The UK letters/issues tend to be prioritized as a result.

Most well oiled customer service groups that I am aware of use customer complaints, and the logging and monitoring of those issues, as a integral part of their 'Continuous Improvement" and "Best in Class" internal programs.

Logging and following up customer issues in a very timely manner allows them to mine the database for issues, cross relationships, and use it as test when certain customer focussed activities/benefits/expenses are enhanced or reduced.

This is such a basic function in consumer focussed organizations that it surprises me that HAL, as a component of the larger Carnival Corp, does not appear to practice this. Perhaps this lack of acknowledgment or response by HAL is simply an anomaly and not standard operating procedure within the company.

Edited by iancal

What we think she should or shouldn't have done is not relevant. How you teach your kids is not relevant either. I am sure no lady passenger wants to get into a confrontation with rude contractors. Most of us have a bit too much class to be doing that. Reporting the incident(s) and expecting it to be dealt with by the appropriate HAL staffer was the right thing to do. But they fell down on the job, as usual.

My oldest daughter probably would have smacked him upside the head! (But I don't think she speaks Italian) :D

Edited by kevingastreich

I disagree so much with this. The guest shouldn't be put in a position to need to defend herself. The men were wrong. There isn't any grey area; they were rude and wrong.

I agree, the men were wrong and rude. Perhaps she should have just ignored it. After all, we're only talking words here.

I agree, the men were wrong and rude. Perhaps she should have just ignored it. After all, we're only talking words here.

Why should she have to? A paying customer should never have to be subjected to rude remarks by an employee/contractor of the cruise line.

If HAL has them on the ship then I think they are absolutely responsible for how their contractors interact with guests.[/quo]Whzgt would b ed the besway to monigorf ggtheirfth4eitr laqnguge? Maybey HOtel direcgor dshouldfollow them around all day? :a

I venture to say that if you were the one on the receiving end of such deplorable disrespect on a HAL ship you would leave no stone unturned until you had a satisfactory resolution---and rightfully so. If HAL ignored your concerns you would find the situation very distressing---as you should.

I venture to say that if you were the one on the receiving end of such deplorable disrespect on a HAL ship you would leave no stone unturned until you had a satisfactory resolution---and rightfully so. If HAL ignored your concerns you would find the situation very distressing---as you should.

Absolutely! (Two names were on your quote.) I agree with you completely. The OP experienced sexual harassment at the hand of men under HAL's control. Guest Services should have investigated immediately.

Edited by alwaysfrantic

Absolutely! (Two names were on your quote.) I agree with you completely. The OP experienced sexual harassment at the hand of men under HAL's control. Guest Services should have investigated immediately.

Agreed. And not only investigated, taken whatever action needed to ensure the guest enjoyed the rest of her cruise. IMHO, HAL really dropped the ball.

Lovely Other I hope you hear from HAL soon, and they apologize in a meaningful way for their ridiculous response onboard.

I agree. But I'm not going to spend any more time trying to explain what the problem is. If his daughter is treated that way, maybe then he will have more understanding.

She has been. My advice was to ignore it, move on and vote with your feet. The world is not a "Safe Space".

She has been. My advice was to ignore it, move on and vote with your feet. The world is not a "Safe Space".

Women have been fighting against this kind of attitude for years, and are making headway, but there will always be one or two. You certainly have had a lot to say on this topic. Moving on and ignoring means that another female will be subject to the same harassment and bullying by some chauvinistic low life. No, moving on is definitely not the right thing to do.

Women have been fighting against this kind of attitude for years, and are making headway, but there will always be one or two. You certainly have had a lot to say on this topic. Moving on and ignoring means that another female will be subject to the same harassment and bullying by some chauvinistic low life. No, moving on is definitely not the right thing to do.

You have it right Lizzie!!

Shame on you Kevin for teaching your daughter to ignore such boorish behavior!

Do all the people who write Holland America

Just want to be heard, or are they shaking the bushes to receive some form of compensation? Asking for a friend

It's the job of a consumer to let a corporation know if they are not meeting expectations. I have written HAL three times and not once asked for or cared to receive anything back, except the knowledge that they are aware of the issue and will work to correct it*.

* They haven't FWIW but I digress.