Photo Trip Review - Reflection TA

Lisah101

And we landed - back in the US at JFK, no more Euros, no more foreign languages to worry about. Just one more flight from JFK to PHX.

But then we got off the plane........

The airport was dingy - seemed dark and dirty. Walking into customs an employee was very aggressively blocking people and almost pushing them to go to other lines. I remember seeing some sort of stain down the front of her shirt and thinking we sure aren't in Europe anymore.

We headed over to global entry and there was one employee there who kept telling everyone he thought the kiosks were down but we could try if we wanted. That seemed to be his only job. We tried, go almost all the way though at they timed out. The employee told us to go to the back of the line for regular customs. I know Global Entry has head of the line privileges when kiosks were down and asked him about it. He again pointed to the back of the very long line. I asked again when that changed until he finally gave it and let us go tot he next available agent.

After customs, we collected baggage, rechecked it again but the employees were just standing there telling everyone to pull their luggage and place it on the belt in such a manner - no porters to help anyone with disabilities, everyone was on their own to place their luggage on the conveyor belt "specifically" as indicated by the 3 employees.

Then we get back into the airport to go through TSA - our precheck wasn't indicated on the boarding pass and the gentleman was pretty much shouting at another couple who didn't speak English to go away and ask someone else. Maybe I was just tired and perceived the attitude but I was so ashamed to be a US citizen at that point. TSA was aggressive in their language and tone of voice in my opinion. without precheck, we headed over to the regular line and cleared security. I still remember it seeming dirty and chaotic after our 3 weeks in European airports.

Finally - on our American Airlines flight to Phoenix - the meal.

IMG_0923.jpg

Food was served, then they flight attendants disappeared and we sat for a while... the rest was uneventful before landing in Phoenix and getting home.

A long trip, a great trip but I will never forgot what it was like to experience JFK and the culture shock of feeling like no one wanted to be there or help and the general chaotic nature of the airport.

Thank you for your patience and sorry it took me so long to finish this!

About the invitation to the sailaway on the Helipad:

Who got invited and why? People in the expensive suites? People in the top loyalty categories? Just curious since I didn't realize that they did that. Looks like fun.

Lisa, thank you for a wonderfully comprehensive review. I really enjoyed following along on your trip. Can I ask you if you had to clear immigration after disembarking in Civitavecchia? I am just wondering if it would take longer for non-EU citizens to disembark than EU passengers due to immigration lines.

Maybe I was just tired and perceived the attitude but I was so ashamed to be a US citizen at that point.

No matter how rude others can be, I'm never ashamed to be a US citizen. I feel so blessed that I was able to be born and raised here. I've enjoyed visiting many other countries but I'm always glad to come back home, even with our imperfections.

The reason we have such a huge immigration problem is because this is such a great place to live and people from all over the world want to be US citizens. ;)

No matter how rude others can be, I'm never ashamed to be a US citizen. I feel so blessed that I was able to be born and raised here. I've enjoyed visiting many other countries but I'm always glad to come back home, even with our imperfections.

The reason we have such a huge immigration problem is because this is such a great place to live and people from all over the world want to be US citizens. ;)

We can agree to disagree - I'm ashamed at the way we treat our visitors - shouting, yelling and being disrespectful to foreign visitors (and our own) is never acceptable in my mind - It was a stark contrast to the security we have encountered in other countries.

Lisa, thank you for a wonderfully comprehensive review. I really enjoyed following along on your trip. Can I ask you if you had to clear immigration after disembarking in Civitavecchia? I am just wondering if it would take longer for non-EU citizens to disembark than EU passengers due to immigration lines.

There was NO immigration or customs check for our cruise in Rome. We walked off the ship, through the luggage area and out to the taxis. There was no check point or security.

Last year on our way to England, we had immigration officials on the ship and everyone had an appointment to go down and meet with them but this time - there was nothing.

I'm not ashamed to be a US citizen either but I sure do understand what Lisa was talking about coming back through JFK.....we had similar encounter when we came back through Philly a few years back... it was dirty, the delays in customs were crazy and the bathrooms were horrible, backed up toilets, dirty, nasty stalls....

We've stopped coming back through the airports in NY/NJ/PA and the last few times have come through Charlotte, a much more pleasant experience....

There was NO immigration or customs check for our cruise in Rome. We walked off the ship, through the luggage area and out to the taxis. There was no check point or security.

Last year on our way to England, we had immigration officials on the ship and everyone had an appointment to go down and meet with them but this time - there was nothing.

The checks would usually be done at the first stop in Europe (European Union member and signed up to the Shengen Agreement, UK is not))

although if the ships comes in from Europe no immigration in UK needed.

We just did a TA and that was the first time we had been checked ( during the TA as mentioned above)

before arriving in Rome you would have been in another EU country already

A bit like moving between states in the US

Just a quick note to say 'hi' Lisah! we had a wonderful cruise with all the fun folks from our cruise critic group. I miss our craft group. I didn't do much crafting, I was too busy just enjoying the company. I was pretty sick when we finally got home and it took antibiotics, prednisone and breathing treatments to even start getting better. I feel like I'm reliving this cruise through your posts. I think the only thing we would do different would be to do the cruise westward instead of eastward. It would have been great to get the port intensive part done first, to have the wonderful days at sea to rest up. As we go through our pictures, we'll send them on to those we toured with. That may not happen right away since we're planning our next cruise to Alaska in August with our grandkids. Its our 7th cruise to Alaska, so we can pretty much do it with our eyes closed, but planning for a 6 and 8 year old is proving challenging and lots of fun too.

Just a quick note to say 'hi' Lisah! we had a wonderful cruise with all the fun folks from our cruise critic group. I miss our craft group. I didn't do much crafting, I was too busy just enjoying the company. I was pretty sick when we finally got home and it took antibiotics, prednisone and breathing treatments to even start getting better. I feel like I'm reliving this cruise through your posts. I think the only thing we would do different would be to do the cruise westward instead of eastward. It would have been great to get the port intensive part done first, to have the wonderful days at sea to rest up. As we go through our pictures, we'll send them on to those we toured with. That may not happen right away since we're planning our next cruise to Alaska in August with our grandkids. Its our 7th cruise to Alaska, so we can pretty much do it with our eyes closed, but planning for a 6 and 8 year old is proving challenging and lots of fun too.

I am so sorry to hear you were sick on your return, that sucks. I had terrible jet lag, but skipped my normal post-cruise crud.

I agree, I think we will only do westbound TA's from now on...looking at the TA on the Reflection the fall of 2017. It is really nice to have those sea days to rest and recover from all those tours and ports! We had such a wonderful cruise vacation and we enjoyed our time spent with you and Dave! :)

I don't remember any customs check at all on this cruise. Our first port in Europe was in the Canary Islands and I thought we just walked off. I do remember going through security in the terminal to get back on and they were very strict - one gentleman ahead of us was not allowed to take his pocket knife back on the ship and he didn't seem to happy.

Other than that, I don't remember any customs agent checking on us during Europe at all.

I don't remember any customs check at all on this cruise. Our first port in Europe was in the Canary Islands and I thought we just walked off. I do remember going through security in the terminal to get back on and they were very strict - one gentleman ahead of us was not allowed to take his pocket knife back on the ship and he didn't seem to happy.

Other than that, I don't remember any customs agent checking on us during Europe at all.

There was no customs check Lisa at any port or on the ship....we were surprised at this too....

I am happy to read the different perspectives on east and westbound TA's. On another thread it was mentioned how great it was to use the gym and being well rested by the time you hit the ports, along with some land days and being more ready

to fly home. On this thread, it was the opposite. Well, I will have to see for myself, but at least you only fly over the pond once either way. Someone else said that when you do the port intensive part first, you feel sad that it's almost over...very interesting ideas!

Lisa,

Your review was so informative, natural and down to earth. Thank you so very much[emoji844]

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Edited by Lastdance

We just got off the Silhouette 6-7-16, and our CC lunch was Dover sole, and lamb. Two choices, that's it. I was bitterly disappointed, and we got up and left after telling the waiter we were unhappy with the choices. We also never got the embossed card holder or the special tote, they were not delivered to the ship in Amsterdam. CC was pretty worthless on our cruise, and I would never pay more than $50 for an upgrade. The 5 points per day are the only reliable benefit, everything else is dependent on the particular sailing you are on. YMMV.

Trish

REALLY enjoyed your review & all your beautiful pictures, well done! My DH doesn't really read the reviews, but I know he'll love seeing the pictures you posted while in Germany! He's a "car addict" ! LOL Again, great job.

Hoping we can do a trip like that soon. Happy cruising! :)

Thank you very much for the review and all those pictures.

We will be doing the West Bound TA on the Silhouette in November this year. Looks like we may have a slightly different ports of call.

Thanks for the wonderful review and photos. I was on this same cruise for the third time. However, I became very ill right before Tenerife. I was misdiagnosed with a kidney infection. Once we arrived in Rome, I had to be admitted to the hospital for an emergency surgery. I spent three weeks in Rome before I could return home. I enjoyed seeing the pictures and dreaming of another cruise.

Thanks for the wonderful review and photos. I was on this same cruise for the third time. However, I became very ill right before Tenerife. I was misdiagnosed with a kidney infection. Once we arrived in Rome, I had to be admitted to the hospital for an emergency surgery. I spent three weeks in Rome before I could return home. I enjoyed seeing the pictures and dreaming of another cruise.

So sorry to hear that but hope you are doing better now and can try again soon!

REALLY enjoyed your review & all your beautiful pictures, well done! My DH doesn't really read the reviews, but I know he'll love seeing the pictures you posted while in Germany! He's a "car addict" ! LOL Again, great job.

Hoping we can do a trip like that soon. Happy cruising! :)

Thank you. My husband is a die hard Porschefile and this was on his bucket list. I have to say it was a lot more fun that I thought it would be. I would go back to Stuttgart in a second - oh, and I love German food so that helps!