1st Time Cruise (in 24 years) - Questions!

onion68

Hello and thank you in advance for answering my questions!

My husband, myself, and our 19 & 20 year old sons will be sailing on the Anthem of the Seas at the end of the month. The hubby and I went on an NCL cruise for our honeymoon, 24 years ago. I'm sure a lot has changed since then. I spent the better part of the honeymoon trying to get over my sea-sickness...ugh! I'm concerned about getting sea sick again, although my TA assures me that it's unlikely that I will feel the Anthem moving. Any tips or suggestions on how to avoid sea-sickness would be much appreciated!

I'm told we should prepay our gratuities, which I plan to do. I'm assuming the prepaid gratuities do not include tips for the bartenders or room service attendants. What is an acceptable amount to tip them?

I appreciate any and all suggestions!

Anne

Yes...a lot has changed! You will have a great time..but it won't be like you remember it to be! Gratuities cover your cabin attendant, waiter, ass't waiter, and head waiter. Bartenders are covered by the 18% they add to each purchase. If you buy a "package" for drinks, then no other tips are needed..they add 18% to the cost of the package.

all bar tabs automatically add 18% to the bill. ( if you have a drink package that is already factored in to the price but many people suggest tipping a dollar per drink cash anyway)

rooms service you just sort of go by how much you order. coffee and pastries in the morning , $2-3. a full meal for 4? closer to $10. there is a flat fee that is NOT a tip between midnight and 5 am.

Green apples and ginger are safe, natural, non sleepy anti nausea options. I like the ginger capsules and start taking them a day or 2 before boarding then all through the cruise.

Hello and thank you in advance for answering my questions!

My husband, myself, and our 19 & 20 year old sons will be sailing on the Anthem of the Seas at the end of the month. The hubby and I went on an NCL cruise for our honeymoon, 24 years ago. I'm sure a lot has changed since then. I spent the better part of the honeymoon trying to get over my sea-sickness...ugh! I'm concerned about getting sea sick again, although my TA assures me that it's unlikely that I will feel the Anthem moving. Any tips or suggestions on how to avoid sea-sickness would be much appreciated!

I'm told we should prepay our gratuities, which I plan to do. I'm assuming the prepaid gratuities do not include tips for the bartenders or room service attendants. What is an acceptable amount to tip them?

I appreciate any and all suggestions!

Anne

Ok

Sea sickness

Mid ship cabin, wife swears by Ginger (tea, pieces, candy) and green apples, many love sea bands, try them both.

Tips for bartenders are in the drink price.

Room service is about the only extra you really need to pay in terms of tips.

Many tip waiters and room steward at the end of the cruise.

Bonine works for me. Better than Dramamine because I only have to take two pills every night before bed. It works for 24 hours and doesn't make me drowsy during the day.

Regardless of what type of medication you choose to take, the real key to avoiding seasickness is to not wait until you get on the ship to start taking it. You need to begin at least two nights before the cruise so that the medication has a chance to get into your system.

Also, as soon as I board the ship on the first day, I head to the nearest lounge and have a cocktail. Not too scientific but a nice way to start the cruise.

If you get sea sick, the cabin is important. And don't listen to those who say, you will be out and about anyway: you don't want to wake up being sick.

Type: you must have a window, you won't feel good in the inside.

Now, medications. While there is a doctor on the ship, try ginger if it works for you. Capsules are in the pharmacies and stores that sell herbal supplements, or you can get online. Bring Bonine (meclizine) for rough seas.

Editing: forgot to say, start taking ginger 2-3 days before the cruise, and continue for 2-3 days after, to avoid sea legs. If you are taking blood thinners, ask the doctor if you are allowed ginger.

Edited by Dayenu