Should Carnival bring back tablecloths each night?

Should Carnival bring back tablecloths for each night in the Main Dining Room?  

598 members have voted

1. 1. Should Carnival bring back tablecloths for each night in the Main Dining Room?

• YES!
    • NO!
    • Don't care...

Ah, but you still would not care if they showed back up, for example if you cruise on the Ecstasy out of Charleston they do not have the new menu and still have tablecloths... so it still would not matter to you, right?

Yeah. I don't have anything personally against tablecloths. The fact that Carnival has done away with them is 100% OK with me. But if I had a preference I would say that "Au natural" wins.

If asked whether or not I am fine with the decision to remove them, then my answer to that question is yes. That's why I said "I don't care". Because I don't care that they removed them. But I would not say that I wish Carnival to bring them back because I don't.

So if someone redid the poll and you could be either for or against bringing them back I would pick against because of the fact that they don't mean that much to me to demand them changing their ways.

Edited by firemanbobswife
  • Thanks 1

Well I voted don't care meaning table cloths aren't important so mine would be more of a no vote than yes. Pretty sure that's what the others meant too.

sorry but you can't assume what anyone else meant. and if you meant no, you should have picked no since it was an option. of course, that's the problem with a poorly worded yes/no question since one can't really have 3 answers and then everyone wants to interpret the third choice as being the same as their choice.

so a don't care means just that, someone doesn't care which makes me wonder why they answered the poll in the first place.

If you would like to split hairs, I am not incorrect. Lobster is, in fact, no longer available in the MDR ... for cruises of less than 5 nights.

I never stated it was universally eliminated in this thread. Your inference, insinuation and misunderstanding is not my problem.

In the thread where I did mention it, perhaps I should have added "for cruises of less than 5 days". Better? Probably not.

Perhaps you should untwist those panties you have in a wad before you cut off circulation to your nether regions.

you stated twice, once in this thread and once in another thread that lobster was no longer in the mdr which is completely and utterly false. you made no effort to quantify your statement with the less than 5 nights portion of fact thereby trying to present a false image of the truth. you therefore intentionally or because of laziness did insinuate and possibly cause misunderstanding to certain people......not myself because i know and stated the correct information.

and the fault of incorrect information is always the fault of the person transmitting it. always.

• Thanks 1

sorry but you can't assume what anyone else meant. and if you meant no, you should have picked no since it was an option. of course, that's the problem with a poorly worded yes/no question since one can't really have 3 answers and then everyone wants to interpret the third choice as being the same as their choice.

so a don't care means just that, someone doesn't care which makes me wonder why they answered the poll in the first place.

I answered because it was an option. But like you said, the third choice is left up for interpretation. However, I tend to think that the gung-ho pro tablecloth movement (and I don't have anything against them because that's their feelings) wouldn't dare select "I don't care" since this is obviously a very passionate subject for them. So people like me who truly don't care they were removed selected "I don't care". That's what I did, anyway.

Perhaps the only way to get the true numbers would be to make a poll asking the question "Are you OK with the fact that Carnival has removed tablecloths in the MDR with the exception of Elegant Nights?" With only "Yes" or "No" as options. That might provide a little more insight as to the true results.

Edited by firemanbobswife

I answered because it was an option. But like you said, the third choice is left up for interpretation. However, I tend to think that the gung-ho pro tablecloth movement (and I don't have anything against them because that's their feelings) wouldn't dare select "I don't care" since this is obviously a very passionate subject for them. So people like me who truly don't care they were removed selected "I don't care". That's what I did, anyway.

Perhaps the only way to get the true numbers would be to make a poll asking the question "Are you OK with the fact that Carnival has removed tablecloths in the MDR with the exception of Elegant Nights?" With only "Yes" or "No" as options. That might provide a little more insight as to the true results.

true, a yes/no only answer would give better.....more accurate.....results. i did vote yes, not because i feel the necessity to have them but i think it just makes the experience a little more elegant. and even though we use table clothes at home as well.....well, not the fancy ones carnival has.....i'm fine without them also. as i said, i think it just makes it look more elegant as i believe the cruising experience should be.

that being said, the horse is dead. we've all beat the living snot out of it and it's time to move on. whether everyone's cruise does or doesn't have a table clothe in it, hopefully you'll be able to enjoy your cruise either way. :)

First of all, we very much enjoy formal (or casual elegant as Carnival calls it) and we always enjoy doing just that. When I see someone coming in below what are published standards for dress, it bugs me as well, and like to see it addressed by staff when and where it is appropriate to do so. Second, while I do enjoy dressing up, black tie is something that is not part of Carnival.

Five will get you ten the problem is they cannot afford evening wear...

Not only do I not care I don't care if they get rid of them on elegant night. They can even get rid of elegant night.

Plus it's better for the environment not having to wash them.

They can go the way of towel animals. Will not miss either.

They should get rid of elegant night. Carnival has changed. Their demographic has changed. It's a brave new world.

I said it earlier in this thread. They should get rid of elegant night. My wife and I are in our mid 40s. We go to relax and having to carry the extra clothing just to goto dinner is crazy. More than one cruise we ate at the buffets because we did not feel like getting dressed for dinner.

LET US WEAR SHORTS AND FLIP FLOPS IN THE DINING ROOM.

We would not even pack pants or her a dress if we could get away with it.

I said it earlier in this thread. They should get rid of elegant night. My wife and I are in our mid 40s. We go to relax and having to carry the extra clothing just to goto dinner is crazy. More than one cruise we ate at the buffets because we did not feel like getting dressed for dinner.

LET US WEAR SHORTS AND FLIP FLOPS IN THE DINING ROOM.

We would not even pack pants or her a dress if we could get away with it.

You can do that now, just eat all your meals on the Lido deck buffet and stay out of the MDR were people who like to dress up go.

If you would like to split hairs, I am not incorrect. Lobster is, in fact, no longer available in the MDR ... for cruises of less than 5 nights.

I never stated it was universally eliminated in this thread. Your inference, insinuation and misunderstanding is not my problem.

In the thread where I did mention it, perhaps I should have added "for cruises of less than 5 days". Better? Probably not.

Perhaps you should untwist those panties you have in a wad before you cut off circulation to your nether regions.

Free lobster is not available. However you can order it for $20 off the steakhouse menu offerings on the menu.

I no longer see carnival from my condo front porch :(

Most upscale restaurants are going with no table cloths today. It is the way of the future. Just google it. You will see. This one of the most stupid debates on the the inter webs today. to be honest I don't care one way or another. Food is food regardless if it is served in table cloth or not. #teamidontcare

You can do that now, just eat all your meals on the Lido deck buffet and stay out of the MDR were people who like to dress up go.

I like going to the MDR for service and the menu.

Lido offerings for dinner don't compare.

I don't go to the MDR because I enjoy dressing up.

Frankly, they can get rid of the waiters wearing embarassing outfits and dancing on tables while we wait for food. Now THAT would be an improvement to my dining experience more than any tablecloth ever would be.

If tablecloths are old style and not chic and in line with what upscale restaurants do these days then they should get rid of them for formal night too. No sense being half in, half out with it.

I like going to the MDR for service and the menu.

Lido offerings for dinner don't compare.

I don't go to the MDR because I enjoy dressing up.

Frankly, they can get rid of the waiters wearing embarassing outfits and dancing on tables while we wait for food. Now THAT would be an improvement to my dining experience more than any tablecloth ever would be.

If tablecloths are old style and not chic and in line with what upscale restaurants do these days then they should get rid of them for formal night too. No sense being half in, half out with it.

You gotta be kidding me about silly outfits and dancing on tables?

I really am wondering what the hell I've signed up to! Is this a regular thing? In all restaurants? If anyone knows which restaurants don't do this embarrassing ritual, I'd be pleased to know so we just go there.

On formal nights, does everyone observe the dress code? Or do we get mixtures of people wearing black ties and others with scruffy t-shirts and shorts? I was on the Silver Wind a month ago and happy to see them turning a middle eastern man away from the main restaurant for turning up with an open shirt and no jacket. Luckily if you don't comply, you can at least eat in your room with full butler service with a laid table (and of course a table cloth) with a very palatable menu 24/7. No tip necessary and not done at gun point! :D

Edited by les37b

I really am wondering what the hell I've signed up to! Is this a regular thing? In all restaurants? If anyone knows which restaurants don't do this embarrassing ritual, I'd be pleased to know so we just go there.

Not kidding. This is a staple of Carnival MDR's. It can be fun to experience; if you aren't waiting for food or don't see your food sitting at a service station getting cold.

Elegant night will be a solid mixture of everything. Technically speaking it is the only night shorts are NOT permitted in the MDR, but experience says you will see a mixture; some dressed up, some not. It's not a requirement to dress up. There are more photo setups on elegant night.

On formal nights, does everyone observe the dress code? Or do we get mixtures of people wearing black ties and others with scruffy t-shirts and shorts? I was on the Silver Wind a month ago and happy to see them turning a middle eastern man away from the main restaurant for turning up with an open shirt and no jacket. Luckily if you don't comply, you can at least eat in your room with full butler service with a laid table (and of course a table cloth) with a very palatable menu 24/7. No tip necessary and not done at gun point! :D

It actually rare that someone actually dances on an actual table. Personally I have never seen it, but I have seen pictures where they actually are.

The dancing is mostly on the floor, but you do see some get up on the serving stations and dance there. There are no cages (yet).