Should Carnival bring back tablecloths each night?

Should Carnival bring back tablecloths for each night in the Main Dining Room?  

598 members have voted

1. 1. Should Carnival bring back tablecloths for each night in the Main Dining Room?

• YES!
    • NO!
    • Don't care...

2 hours ago, Melissalcsw said:

No, table cloths are not breaking my cruise. Do you know how much water is required to wash all those table cloths. What a waste.

Isn't there a lot of water available where ships sail?

• Like 1

On 5/2/2016 at 11:07 AM, summersigh said:

Also, silverware is placed on the bare table - who knows how many times the rag that wipes it clean has been used. I'm not a germophobe but it makes me uncomfortable. At least at home I know where the rag has been 😄

You make the best point. I don't care about how the table looks, but I completely agree with you on the germ factor.

• Like 2

On 5/2/2016 at 2:34 PM, uirie said:

Bring them back! Carnival is going down hill with cutting corners.

Concur.

Let's see: They've decided that the menu was too complicated, that the MDR should be simpler fare, that tablecloths were too much ... and they've just eliminated free room service. SO-- 

When I first started cruising with Carnival (some 25 cruises ago) the service was elegant, the menu was varied and sophisticated in the MDR, and the service was excellent. I suppose they're just reflecting what they think the cruising public wants, but I don't think that's necessarily accurate.

• Like 2

On 1/1/2019 at 12:56 AM, Grandpa Elliott said:

Beside how does a glass on a table (with or without a table cloth)  'drip on you'?  You are not supposed to be laying across the table tops.

Simple: any glass containing ice cold beverages that has a base will build up condensation on the base. Without an absorbing barrier like cloth beneath the glass the condensate rolls off the base of the glass and into your lap when drinking from the glass. 

Rather than tablecloths every night I'd rather we have room service as it was before the recent change.

Edited by sanmarcosman

We will be sailing with Carnival for the first time in February, Ive been watching some videos and one was of the main dining room, I did comment to my husband that there were No table cloths, every other cruise ive been on has had table cloths for evening meal in the main dining room. 

12 hours ago, MauiWowie57 said:

When I first started cruising with Carnival (some 25 cruises ago) the service was elegant, the menu was varied and sophisticated in the MDR, and the service was excellent. I suppose they're just reflecting what they think the cruising public wants, but I don't think that's necessarily accurate.

When I went to church as a child I always had to wear a hat, and often gloves for holidays. I would be chastised if I ever put my elbows on the table at dinner. Also my father was never seen outside the house without a hat on. These days I guess we're just happy our kids still go to church, regardless of what they're wearing, and if a man has a hat on, often it's a baseball cap and it's backwards!

My point is, times have changed and what was then, isn't necessarily where we are today. Much as some of us may wish it so!

Personally, I could care less about the tablecloths but I get why some are concerned, while others don't care at all.

• Like 1

On 1/2/2019 at 10:48 AM, Sea Hag said:

You make the best point. I don't care about how the table looks, but I completely agree with you on the germ factor.

It's called sanitizer. The same sanitizer used in restaurants to sanitize dishes. You do realize that people have to touch the table cloths to put them on the tables, right? Bare tables cleaned with sanitizer are much more sanitary.

• Like 1

Wait, wait, wait. Let me make sure I understand. Someone who has sailed Carnival 25 times just came to the Carnival board and resurrected a two year old thread just to post that they no longer sail Carnival because they got rid of tablecloths? What am I missing? 

On my first cruise I got seasick & puked all over the place. Still sailing. On that same cruise, we went through a bad storm & deck chairs flew all over the place. Still sailing. An extremely furry man sat down next to me on deck once & started clipping his toenails. Still sailing. Our toilet exploded on the Triumph. Still sailing. I fell out of one of the bunk beds once. Still sailing. My grand marnier souffle was overcooked last cruise. Still sailing. Hurricanes re-routed us three different times. Still sailing. Our room steward forgot to pull one of the beds down one night. Still sailing. There was a fire in the sports lounge. Still sailing. 

Life is so short. Keep sailing!

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

On 1/2/2019 at 7:11 AM, Melissalcsw said:

No, table cloths are not breaking my cruise. Do you know how much water is required to wash all those table cloths. What a waste.

I don't care about tablecloths one way or another but I see your reasoning a lot when this subject comes up.  Cruise ships make their own potable water so I don't understand where the waste is.  Are you afraid the ocean is going to go dry?

• Like 1

On 1/1/2019 at 3:19 AM, hulagal1 said:

I no longer book Ccl for this very reason.  25 Ccl cruises and no more.

LOL, doesn't take much.

On 1/2/2019 at 12:05 PM, MauiWowie57 said:

Concur.

Let's see: They've decided that the menu was too complicated, that the MDR should be simpler fare, that tablecloths were too much ... and they've just eliminated free room service. SO-- 

Do you survey people about what they like on a cruise? I'm sure CCL doesn.

On 1/2/2019 at 12:11 PM, sanmarcosman said:

Simple: any glass containing ice cold beverages that has a base will build up condensation on the base. Without an absorbing barrier like cloth beneath the glass the condensate rolls off the base of the glass and into your lap when drinking from the glass. 

Rather than tablecloths every night I'd rather we have room service as it was before the recent change.

The amount dripping off the glass must be incredible.

On 1/2/2019 at 10:14 PM, Shaded Lady said:

When I went to church as a child I always had to wear a hat, and often gloves for holidays. I would be chastised if I ever put my elbows on the table at dinner. Also my father was never seen outside the house without a hat on. These days I guess we're just happy our kids still go to church, regardless of what they're wearing, and if a man has a hat on, often it's a baseball cap and it's backwards!

My point is, times have changed and what was then, isn't necessarily where we are today. Much as some of us may wish it so!

Personally, I could care less about the tablecloths but I get why some are concerned, while others don't care at all.

This - so much love....well, I didn't have to wear a hat and gloves except Easter - but I had to sit there 3 times a week in a dress; people dressed in suits and nice dresses to fly - we had no cell phones or computers or HD TV's or cable. 
Things change. I'm a nurse and OMG how things have changed in medical care - do you really want to go back to THAT? 

The cool thing is - we all have choices. Right now I choose Carnival because it's closest to home and relatively affordable. Table cloth?  I'm the person who would stand up at the table and end up pulling it halfway off before I realized it was caught!!! I would SO MUCH prefer they maintained somewhat of a dress code in the MDR - but meh - what someone else is wearing/ doing doesn't change my life unless they are the drunk old lady all dolled up for elegant night falling over me in the show!!! [true story]
 Someday when I have free time to travel and money to blow, I would like to cruise on a ship a little more elegant than Carnival and smaller and not so rowdy. I spent enough time being an officer's wife to EVER want to play dress up and look at me...my spandex support and high heel days are over. Cruise on...and hurry up October 10!!

• 4 months later...

Was so disappointed when I went to dinner on the Fasination out of San Juan and there was no table clothes, No nicely folded napkins and no napkins in our laps. 

Did the same cruise last year with Royal C. and had them every night.

I can understand maybe on shorter 3-4 day cruises but not week or longer. 

Also disappointed that the waiters are now bartenders as well. Ugh.  

Love the old carnival, not so sure about this new one. It all started when they took away the turn down mints.

• Like 2