Europe Clothes for Plus Size Women

rlkubi

I am the same size and age and I get a lot of linen clothes from JJill or Eileen Fisher. I try to pack only natural fibers, preferably linen because I am always hot. Silk packs great and is lightweight. My wardrobe is primarily black and gray with pops of purple or blue. I do take denim but don't wear traditional tennis or athletic shoes. In the warm months I am a Birkenstock girl but the best pair of shoes I have ever had are Naot Kieri style, I have walked all over Europe in these, they are better than athletic shoes and look nice. I plan months in advance and shop with travel in mind, everything pretty much works together so it is hassle free. I also take advantage of any laundry service, I would rather pay to have my clothes done than lug around too much.

Thanks for the J Jill reminder, Tracesmom. I am figuring out a complicated Arctic cruise now and next March we head south to the Panama Canal. Talk about packing headaches. But J Jill currently has a $50 off of purchase and they have some very nice linen mix trousers that will be great next March. I'm going to get a pair of the sea salt colored stretch linen trousers. Rlkubi you might like the pants or wide leg pants in sea salt as they could be easily mixed with your pastels. I'll mix them with white and navy tops and a beige and white lightweight cotton blouse I have. You want enough thickness that you don't need lined pants as those do get hot. The black would also be nice for evenings. Our March cruise is 19 days so mine will see the ship laundry if only to get pressed after a wearing or two. You might want to find the store nearest you to find your correct size if they don't also have the colors you want. These would probably blend well with the humid summers you have down there too.

We do not have a J Jill (actually never heard of it). Now I'm totally confused. I emailed all of our tour guides saying that I wanted to be appropriate and dress to not be "an ugly American". All of them said that we can wear shorts or casual clothes. They said it was going to be hot so be comfortable and wear comfortable shoes.

All of them said that we can wear shorts or casual clothes.

Of course you *can* wear shorts. It's just not common for most Europeans in a city (and depending on where exactly you'll be touring, might not be appropriate eg churches & mosques can require knees & shoulders be covered - on men and women) Tour guides are used to regular american tourists. Your original post said you wished to look "other" than the regular american tourist. You don't have to if you don't want to. As long as you are wearing clothing that will allow you to be admitted to the sites you are visiting, you can wear exactly what you want. But that wasn't why you posted here, was it?

I've been looking at the JJill stretch linen ankle trouser for a trip to Asia. Wonder how slim it is, and how much it would wrinkle after 37 hours of flying :p But I want something cooler than my normal EF ponte pant....

I think there is a difference in Europe between city and ruins/beach/touristy area clothing. Young and slim girls wear anything including short shorts anywhere. More mature bodies don't wear shorts in cities.

We did Italy, Greece, and Turkey a couple of years ago and like others have said-you are a tourist and no matter what you wear-your accent will give you away! LOL! Just enjoy and be comfortable! I wore comfortable sandals and ankle black pants with lightweight tops with either a scarf or shrug while in Italy(due to restrictions of proper attire for visiting churches). When in Greece-we were touring ruins-I wore knee length shorts and light weight tops as we were not going to visit any churches. In Turkey-I wore knee length shorts and light weight tops as I did in Greece. It is really warm in Turkey and sunscreen and an umbrella will help with the sun exposure. I did see people refused entrance to churches in Italy when they tried to wear shorts and sleeveless attire, so be warned that this is a possibility and cover those shoulders and knees. I always tend to wear blacks and whites in Europe and I am not opposed to wearing capris even though I probably look better in pants. I always carry a light weight scarf to cover my knees or shoulders just in case I need them.

We do not have a J Jill (actually never heard of it). Now I'm totally confused. I emailed all of our tour guides saying that I wanted to be appropriate and dress to not be "an ugly American". All of them said that we can wear shorts or casual clothes. They said it was going to be hot so be comfortable and wear comfortable shoes.

You've gotten a lot of good advice on this thread, but you seem to already have a fixed idea of what you want to wear. :rolleyes:

In my experience, a guide wants your business and will tell you what they think you want to hear. I've heard Egyptian guides tell folks that they don't need to cover up in mosques. I guess they don't see the ugly looks they get from the locals....

You can certainly wear shorts and capris in Europe, but up to a point (as already mentioned some churches will not allow you to enter without knees and shoulders covered....) But your initial post was asking for advice on how to dress so as not to "scream" tourist -- and that's what we've tried to tell you.

Honestly, shorts and sleeveless tops are not cooler. There's a reason why desert dwellers cover up. Hot sun on your arms and legs will make you hotter than being covered with a lightweight breatheable layer of clothing.

Perspective.....

There was a funny video on an ex-pat website for those in Rome. Two people sitting near the Coliseum picking out the nationalities of tourists. It was quite scathing and funny at the same time. Wish I could find it again.

What I'm trying to say is if you want to blend in, dress a bit conservatively, long pants and sensible shoes or a flowey dress. You're going to be pegged as a tourist anyway.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Edited by SadieN

I love maxi dresses and maxi skirts. They are cute, easy to wear and comfortable. You can dress them up with a nice blazer and jewelry or down with flat sandals. I got a cute black tank maxi dress at H&M plus. One of my favorites.

There is a J Jill in Plaza Fontenac in Saint Ouis and 3 others within a short distance.

You could wear shorts and sleeveless tanks for some trips to ruins but if you are fair you'll need to use a SPF 50 and reapply. I was taking some visitors around to Saint Peter's one summer day and the guards stopped 2 girls in shorts, well maybe about 20 years old. They moved off to one side and pulled pants out of their back packs and pulled them on over their shorts. They had on lightweight elbow length t-shirts. The guards then passed them inside. I think the guards now won't allow back packs in but check their web site if you want to take a tote bag for adding on things for getting in to religious spots.

Rome is truly an international city that until recently had 3 separate embassies from most countries. Now that the UN's World Health Organization is considered an Agency there is 1 fewer embassy for each country. Yes, America has an Embassy to the Holy See. You will see students, nuns, priests, a ton of diplomatic staff from clerks to ambassadors (I used to walk up to the stop and ride a bus with Camaroon's ambassador to Italy down to where I headed to the market and he headed to the Metro to his embassy) and all variety of tourists all from around the world. On your trip you will run into many other Europeans who head to Greece and Turkey for their vacations.

Basically, other than only taking shoes you can walk in and maybe some of the little terry sockets, take along anything you can carry and you truly think you may use. I did wear shorts during the day in Capri in the '80's but I was in my 20's and we were climbing up to Trajan's villa ( ;) ) and down to the Natural Arch and wondering around any cave that had a hole in the fence. Then back to our little hotel grabbing a gelato or piece of pizza ustica on the way. We'd change for a nice long swim in the lovely pool and then hit siesta time. For late dinners the short walk into town took us to I normally wore white linen slacks and one of several woven lightweight silk V neck T shirts and my white flat sandals until I needed the boat shoes on that first trip. So if you will be close to your ship and can do your hottest excursions in the morning then do those in shorts and go back for a quick shower and change for a more leisurely stroll to any sacred sites. Just one last thing, if you wear shorts you may wind up with shorts climb or chaffing so take along some powder. I would also try out the newer spray on sunscreens that dry and stay dry due to the extra hot flashes before you leave. The biggie is to enjoy yourself.

Edited by NorthernLite

I've been looking at the JJill stretch linen ankle trouser for a trip to Asia. Wonder how slim it is, and how much it would wrinkle after 37 hours of flying :p But I want something cooler than my normal EF ponte pant....

After reading the comments on the stretch linen trousers they may not be a good first chose for the long hauls. ;). I find the flights rather cool so maybe take a pair of your ponte pants for the flights as they will roll up in your luggage in between nicely. My problem is deciding between the trousers and wide legs. But I do need a pair of slacks in a light tan/beige and these are not mid-rise and they look well made. I may get the wide legs in black too.

Don't wear shorts! You stick to the seats of cars, seats are hot! Pedal pushers OK. JJill has some plus but sizing at least for me is rather on small side and then they have to be hemmed. You may be different -- that is why I have so many pairs of the perfect pant for me (Catherines' suprima cotton knit 97% cotton 3% spandex I think with pockets.

Guides are not very good at noticing clothing options. Our South America trip in Feb. we had temps in Brazil that went to 96 degrees with high humidity. Every time I got to a certain color of red, our guide would put us in the car and take us to the national park just above the city -- good 15 degrees cooler up there. Loved it. Down in the fijords of Chile it was flat out cold. 48 with wind off the artic. I had my winter coat from the home start in Maryland and I wore it with a fleece and hat that pulls down and ties on (wind on ship was fairly brutal) and thin leather gloves. I have upgraded for our trip to Greenland in July -- a long down coat with hood that packs into a stuff bag the size of an umbrella and weighs 3 oz. If there are glaciers and icebergs it is COLD. a pair of winter tights under your lighter pants works well for cold and same pants are also OK for hot weather. Extreme weather cruises are something else to pack for! Good luck. I will help if I can -- several trips where hot and cold weather extremes and places where there was no chance of buying plus size clothing so take it or do without.

Ok I'm so sorry but what do you mean by tech fabrics? As I said I'm an 18W so large. And menopausal and I know Greece and Turkey will be very hot. I also don't own anything but pastels because I'm a blonde and very light complected.

Thanks for all your help!

This sort of thing. https://www.rei.com/product/831364/white-sierra-sierra-point-convertible-pants-womens-plus-sizes

I find these fantastic for travel. They are cool on hot days, wick away sweat on humid days, and dry quickly if you get caught in a rain storm. Very lightweight, easy to wash out and dry overnight. I've been wearing this type of travel pants for at least 15 years - in Europe, in the UK, in Asia, in Australia and New Zealand.