Food intolerances on Princess cruises

kunoichi

I am going cruising for the first time with friends, on the Emerald Princess from Sydney stopping at Fiji, New Caledonia and Vanuatu.

I am on a medical-related low FODMAP diet, of which I informed them on the personaliser page. The message I got in response did not fill me with confidence, as they saw the word "diet" and responded with an email about calorie and carb counting and told me to contact the Maitre'd when I arrived. This seems a little unfair to spring FODMAP requirements on the Maitre'd, considering how complex the food avoidance list is!

So, I'd like to know what people have experienced onboard in terms of food allergies. I believe we will be having 'anytime dining', so do we need to let the chefs know in advance, or is it on our passenger information when we make a booking, if not eating at the buffet?

What happens when you go ashore? Are there allergy-friendly picnic baskets you can take, like on some other cruises?

Anything else I should be aware of?

Thank you!

I am going cruising for the first time with friends, on the Emerald Princess from Sydney stopping at Fiji, New Caledonia and Vanuatu.

I am on a medical-related low FODMAP diet, of which I informed them on the personaliser page. The message I got in response did not fill me with confidence, as they saw the word "diet" and responded with an email about calorie and carb counting and told me to contact the Maitre'd when I arrived. This seems a little unfair to spring FODMAP requirements on the Maitre'd, considering how complex the food avoidance list is!

So, I'd like to know what people have experienced onboard in terms of food allergies. I believe we will be having 'anytime dining', so do we need to let the chefs know in advance, or is it on our passenger information when we make a booking, if not eating at the buffet?

What happens when you go ashore? Are there allergy-friendly picnic baskets you can take, like on some other cruises?

Anything else I should be aware of?

Thank you!

To be honest, I never heard of this diet and had to do some research. When emailing Princess did you just request a FODMAP diet? Perhaps you may want to email them again as this looks like a rather complex diet. Specify what it is that you can and cannot eat. Also spell out FODMAP as in Fermentable Oligosaccharides, Disaccharides, Monosaccharides and Polyols.

I did find this site that lists what you can and what you should avoid. Perhaps if you provide additional information, Princess may be a bit more helpful.

http://www.ibsdiets.org/fodmap-diet/fodmap-food-list/

To be honest, I never heard of this diet and had to do some research. When emailing Princess did you just request a FODMAP diet? Perhaps you may want to email them again as this looks like a rather complex diet. Specify what it is that you can and cannot eat. Also spell out FODMAP as in Fermentable Oligosaccharides, Disaccharides, Monosaccharides and Polyols.

I did find this site that lists what you can and what you should avoid. Perhaps if you provide additional information, Princess may be a bit more helpful.

http://www.ibsdiets.org/fodmap-diet/fodmap-food-list/

I agree.

princess are good, but I'm not sure that it's fair to expect them to know every acronym.

My grandson has food allergies and my daughter talks with the Maitre'd or head waiter on 1st day. Every meal time, she is given a menu set for the following day to choose from.

I suggest you bring a list of do's and don't diet list, no matter how long or complex, so the Maitre'd will appreciate your condition and explain to whoever is in charge of food preparation.

Tell the Maitre D or head waiter what you can't eat, and they will help you plan your meals in advance. No, you can't get a food basket to take off the ship. You'll be on your own when on shore.

Thanks, dforeigner and GUT2407. I responded to the email from Princess by explaining what FODMAP was and a link to the page detailed the dos and don'ts of the FODMAP diet, so I'm now awaiting a response. Fingers crossed that helps. :)

Good idea about bringing along a list, easyboy. I'll have to find a relatively complete but simple one to print out for the Maitre'd.

Thanks, shredie, that's good to know about there being no food baskets. Not every cruise is the same, so I wasn't sure if Princess was one who did that or not.

Thanks, dforeigner and GUT2407. I responded to the email from Princess by explaining what FODMAP was and a link to the page detailed the dos and don'ts of the FODMAP diet, so I'm now awaiting a response. Fingers crossed that helps. :)

Good idea about bringing along a list, easyboy. I'll have to find a relatively complete but simple one to print out for the Maitre'd.

Thanks, shredie, that's good to know about there being no food baskets. Not every cruise is the same, so I wasn't sure if Princess was one who did that or not.

Glad to help and good luck.

Not every cruise is the same, so I wasn't sure if Princess was one who did that or not.
Many countries ban bringing any food off the ship that isn't in manufacturer's sealed packaging. Some, like New Zealand or the US, are very, very strict. No matter which line, the ship will not and can't break the law.

You might consider bringing packaged food items that you can eat onboard the ship for shore excursions.

Many countries ban bringing any food off the ship that isn't in manufacturer's sealed packaging. Some, like New Zealand or the US, are very, very strict. No matter which line, the ship will not and can't break the law.

You might consider bringing packaged food items that you can eat onboard the ship for shore excursions.

Ah, it might have been for a river cruise, not a sea cruise, and I've mistaken which cruise my family members were speaking about. I don't know the exact details, except it was an option, apparently.

So as long as food and drinks are sealed, they should be okay?

In most countries in the world, manufacture sealed foods and beverages are fine. However, that is not universal.

On one of our cruises, the Mexican authorities examined EVERY bag carried off the ship and confiscated anything that could be consumed--even a sealed bottle of water was taken! Our only thought was that they were trying to force us to contribute to the local economy. Didn't happen in our case as we returned to the ship when the first person wanted something to drink.

In most countries in the world' date=' manufacture sealed foods and beverages are fine. However, that is not universal.

On one of our cruises, the Mexican authorities examined EVERY bag carried off the ship and confiscated anything that could be consumed--even a sealed bottle of water was taken! Our only thought was that they were trying to force us to contribute to the local economy. Didn't happen in our case as we returned to the ship when the first person wanted something to drink.[/quote']

Maybe they just needed something decent to eat and drink:eek:

Thanks, GUT2407 - I will do. Better to be safe than sorry!

Oh, no, that's awful, moki'smommy. That is kind of like what Singapore does with Duty Free drinks when people all have to exit the plane.

In most countries in the world' date=' manufacture sealed foods and beverages are fine. However, that is not universal.

On one of our cruises, the Mexican authorities examined EVERY bag carried off the ship and confiscated anything that could be consumed--even a sealed bottle of water was taken! Our only thought was that they were trying to force us to contribute to the local economy. Didn't happen in our case as we returned to the ship when the first person wanted something to drink.[/quote']

Many ports on the West Coast have AG dogs. You do not want the cute Lab in Ensenada sitting next to you.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

I have a fairly mild crustacean allergy, and I've cruised more than a few times.

I can tell you that the staff will do their best to help you. However, they are not doctors or, even necessarily 100% experts in every aspect of the meal.

Think of it like a boxing match. The ref will help to the best of his ability, but protect yourself at all times.

Many ports on the West Coast have AG dogs. You do not want the cute Lab in Ensenada sitting next to you.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

We're all lined up for an excursion in Mazatlan.

The Lab sits down next to an elderly lady's bag.

The teenager next to me gasps "The old lady brought weed! She's bad-ass!"

Turns out, it was an apple.

Hi - I have a food allergy that means I cannot eat capsicum (I have an allergic reaction if i do).

i've not cruised princess before but thus far it seems to be shaping up the same as Celebrity and RCL. Each time i've sailed i've emailed in advance and told the cruise line and everytime the response is thanks for telling us please let the maître d know.

What then happens is (as someone else mentioned) everynight i get shown the next day's menu and get to pick food and they will make it specially for me normally in a special allergy kitchen :) (Sometimes they can't do it - but then they normally ring or they make another choice - which you can accept or wait for them to prepare something else). On the first day it's a good idea to go and talk to them well before the evening meal so you can choose.

All told one of the things i love about cruising is this makes it so much better for me than playing guess the ingredient (which is often what i do at a restuarant if i go out).

So don't panic - it's the maitre d that will sort you out just make sure you make yourself and needs known when you get on.

Actually the maitre'd usually doesn't work with you. One reason the head waiters are there is that they meet with the guests to discuss the next evenings meal. Even in Anytime Dining, once a particular head waiter works with you they will stick with you for the whole cruise. If you don't sit in the same area of the dining room you are told to advise your waiters that you are working with them.

If the next day menu isn't safe for you they will arrange to have your meal specially prepared to avoid the allergens. While we don't have a problem we have seen this at adjacent tables on every cruise we have taken.

On our last cruise, our waiter was reeling off specials on the first night. Since most of them were seafood, I said I'm allergic to shrimp and actually avoid all seafood. Just minutes later, the head waiter was by my side and said he'll help me. I knew he was talking about pre-selecting each night's entree (my hubby did this on one cruise when he was told by his doctor to watch his cholesterol), but I assured him I was fine and will avoid (willingly) all sea food. We had traditional dining so this would have been easy for him to find me each night if I did need his help.

At the other food venues, I just try to be extra careful with my selections. On a previous cruise I did make myself a plate of stir fry at the buffet, but fortunately stopped short of taking a bite as there were little shrimps in it. I did suggest on my post-cruise survey that the food items in the Horizon needed to be better labeled as many do have a shellfish allergy.

Princess will try to work with you, but it sounds like you should contact the special needs department (at least six weeks ahead of your cruise) and bring a comprehensive list of items you need to avoid.

Mrs Gut follows (largely) a vegan or vegetarian diet, she doesn't have to she chooses to.

Every cruise on Princess the Foid and Bev manager has approached her and asked if she needs assistance. She said no that she was more than happy with the options.

One night (last cruise) she ordered something with meat in the dish, before we knew it Dennis was by her side asking did she realise the dish had meat in it. They are fantastic.

I have a fairly mild crustacean allergy, and I've cruised more than a few times.

I can tell you that the staff will do their best to help you. However, they are not doctors or, even necessarily 100% experts in every aspect of the meal.

Think of it like a boxing match. The ref will help to the best of his ability, but protect yourself at all times.

So, basically like going out to eat any time, then. Pick the most suitable option and they will try to accommodate (like swap out normal pasta for gluten free, or whatever)?

For special diets contact:

Marisa Sanders*special diets/Place order for distilled water/baby food

dietaryrequest@princesscruises.com (661) 284-4450

Thanks! I am contact with that department via email, hopefully will hear from them after I have explained FODMAPs to them, though it may take a while to hear back. Luckily my cruise isn't til Nov! :)

Hi - I have a food allergy that means I cannot eat capsicum (I have an allergic reaction if i do).

i've not cruised princess before but thus far it seems to be shaping up the same as Celebrity and RCL. Each time i've sailed i've emailed in advance and told the cruise line and everytime the response is thanks for telling us please let the maître d know.

What then happens is (as someone else mentioned) everynight i get shown the next day's menu and get to pick food and they will make it specially for me normally in a special allergy kitchen :) (Sometimes they can't do it - but then they normally ring or they make another choice - which you can accept or wait for them to prepare something else). On the first day it's a good idea to go and talk to them well before the evening meal so you can choose.

All told one of the things i love about cruising is this makes it so much better for me than playing guess the ingredient (which is often what i do at a restuarant if i go out).

So don't panic - it's the maitre d that will sort you out just make sure you make yourself and needs known when you get on.

Oh, dear! That sounds like an awful allergy. So many foods I love have capsicum, but, then, that is one of the limited veggies I can eat.

That sounds good, I hope the Princess has an allergy kitchen. I am not allergic, just intolerant, but it can be quite a painful inconvenience if I eat the wrong food. I will definitely speak with the maitre'd when I arrive, as they suggest, and I guess they will let me know from there, like how to contact the places I will be eating during the day and when would be best to speak to them, etc. Fingers crossed!

Actually the maitre'd usually doesn't work with you. One reason the head waiters are there is that they meet with the guests to discuss the next evenings meal. Even in Anytime Dining, once a particular head waiter works with you they will stick with you for the whole cruise. If you don't sit in the same area of the dining room you are told to advise your waiters that you are working with them.

If the next day menu isn't safe for you they will arrange to have your meal specially prepared to avoid the allergens. While we don't have a problem we have seen this at adjacent tables on every cruise we have taken.

Oh, that sounds great. That is a good way to do it, so guests don't have to go through the problem multiple times with multiple different waiters. Fantastic. :)

On our last cruise' date=' our waiter was reeling off specials on the first night. Since most of them were seafood, I said I'm allergic to shrimp and actually avoid all seafood. Just minutes later, the head waiter was by my side and said he'll help me. I knew he was talking about pre-selecting each night's entree (my hubby did this on one cruise when he was told by his doctor to watch his cholesterol), but I assured him I was fine and will avoid (willingly) all sea food. We had traditional dining so this would have been easy for him to find me each night if I did need his help.

At the other food venues, I just try to be extra careful with my selections. On a previous cruise I did make myself a plate of stir fry at the buffet, but fortunately stopped short of taking a bite as there were little shrimps in it. I did suggest on my post-cruise survey that the food items in the Horizon needed to be better labeled as many do have a shellfish allergy.

Princess will try to work with you, but it sounds like you should contact the special needs department (at least six weeks ahead of your cruise) and bring a comprehensive list of items you need to avoid.[/quote']

At the buffet, I will certainly be careful. I tend to ask a staff member if I have to eat at a buffet normally, so I know if something is safe or not. I hope one day FODMAP will also be labelled, too. It is slowly catching on here (two restaurants catering to FODMAP plus food in the supermarkets with FODMAP ladles), so one day... But in the mean time, I hope to hash it out with the dietary requirements department before the cruise. :)

Mrs Gut follows (largely) a vegan or vegetarian diet, she doesn't have to she chooses to.

Every cruise on Princess the Foid and Bev manager has approached her and asked if she needs assistance. She said no that she was more than happy with the options.

One night (last cruise) she ordered something with meat in the dish, before we knew it Dennis was by her side asking did she realise the dish had meat in it. They are fantastic.

Oh, that is wonderful. That is one switched on F&B manager! I am now feeling much more confident about being able to get meals that I can eat without much issue! :)

Edited by kunoichi