any secrets from the VOLENDAM you can share?

hi all, i haven't cruised in awhile, but the last time I did, i got great information from here about my princess cruise.

My elderly parents (81) are going on the HAL Volendam on May 18, 2016 from Vancouver to Alaska. Are there any hidden secrets about this boat that I can share with them? On the Princess cruise i was directed to free ice cream between a certain time and also a coffee card, $20 for unlimited fancy coffees), that's the kind of things I am looking for.

Anybody have anything they can share?

Your parents are going on one of my two favorite Alaska cruises (the other one being the 14-day HAL cruise out of Seattle). The Volendam sails on Wednesday, so shares ports with fewer passengers than ships that sail on weekends.

The Volendam, although not at all a small ship, is smaller than a lot of the ships currently on the seas. As such, it's easy to get around on the ship quickly. It's also easy to get from one side to the other on Lower Promenade Deck, which comes in handy for scenic viewing.

The bow will likely be open while at Glacier Bay. Aft Lido Deck, and the decks above that will offer great views.

It has lots of lovely sheltered outdoor places from which to sit and enjoy the passing scenery, even if there is that famous Alaska "liquid sunshine".

The ice cream bar opens with lunch service at 11:30, and closes down about 4:00 PM, then reopens at dinner time. There is no charge. Oh, and there's cookies right at the same spot, along with delicious toppings. Yum.

There are a couple of specialty restaurants. The Pinnacle is a steak house, cost is $29 per person. Lovely setting with elegant service.

There's also Canaletto Italian Restaurant carved out of part of the Lido for dinner. Price is $10 per person.

There are no coffee cards, but there is Explorations Café which had specialty coffees (along with some little treats) for a charge. Try the hot chocolate. :D

Hope this is a good start.

Tell them to check out the Room Service menu, which has some really good items.

Lunch at the Pinnacle Grill is $10 per person. DH and I do that for lunch at least once per cruise. It is quiet, the menu is interesting, and the food is good.

Also, if they haven't booked shore excursions, there is a wealth of info on the Alaska forum (yes, I know -- not ship-related but may be helpful :) )

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=55

Edited by CowPrincess

Cow Princess just reminded me (thanks, CP)---room service!

Every cabin is allowed to order a full, hot breakfast every morning---this includes the last morning. It is so nice to dress, finish that last minute packing, and have breakfast all at the same time.

Everyone, regardless of cabin, can order room service dinner from the regular dinner menu.

Be sure to explain to them that you can't get to the Main Dining Room on Deck 4 unless you use the rear elevators. If you take the forward or middle elevators, you will have to go to Deck 5 and walk toward the dining room. Once they reach the rear elevators, take then down to 4.

Also, if the Culinary Hostess happens to be Barbara, don't miss her presentations on Sea Days. Best Culinary Host we have had since we started cruising. She knows what she is talking about as she was a chef.

If Demytro and Eugenia are still the Adagio Duo, do take in their show. They were some of the best Adagio Duo that we have seen.

Great Crew on the Volendam. They definitely will enjoy their cruise.