Pub Quiz

ClanMcLean

Hello,

Can anyone offer a review of the pub quizes held on board the QM2?

Are they quite amateur or are they quite professional?

We do like a good quiz and the hubby and his team often win the local one. Just trying to see how we can fit that into our evening's dining and entertainment :D

On the QM2's December Canaries cruise we shared a table with a couple who arranged their cruises around the quizzes, to the extent that they arranged their cruise dates to meet with other couples in their team, and there were grumblings from other passengers about their team constantly winning. So in this case I would say they were pretty professional - But how prevalent this is, I'm not sure, maybe other budding quizzers on this cruise were just unlucky.

Edited by rakkor

Not been on Cunard for too long :( but as far as I can remember, the quizzes are usually about 20 questions and always general knowledge. I occasionally participate in quizzes both at home and onboard ship, but, it must form part of my entertainment and if it ever gets too serious, I refrain from taking part. IMO the best questions are usually the tie breakers, if there is one, and the question set is really obscure. One of the tie breaks I remember, What is the average life of a WC? The comments from the guests were very entertaining :D

My opinion: 1) A lot of people taking part in the quizzes are obviously very serious quizzers at home, so if a group of them get together, no one else stands a chance. They have to sit at the same table each quiz and all that sort of rubbish.

2) Then you have the quizzes themselves that are put together by whoever is doing the quiz that session and some of them are abysmal, goodness knows where they get their answers from. This then enrages the serious quizzers, so if you want to hear huge rows about hockey/field hockey, Guy Fawkes was caught on 10th November because I say so etc. then swing by the Golden Lion at quiz time.

The quiz last a little less than 30 mins every evening If you are a serious quizer you might be disappointed its a time filler not a serious quiz. We like a good quiz night couple of hours if thats your baliwick then missing the quiz to fit in something else should not be a problem we have done approx 1/2 doz Cunard trips/cruises and have only ever done 2 quizs. Have a good time😀

We have only been on QV and QE but enjoy doing the quizzes on both these ships. I can't imagine it is that much different on QM2.

The best quizzes are the ones where people are there to have fun, not to get too serious about it. They can vary hugely in standard as they are set by the person taking the quiz. On QE/QV there is a wipe out quiz each day in which you 'gamble' your points on the last, usually obscure, question. We like that quiz in particular as anyone could win.

There are also occasionally music quizzes, which my husband particularly enjoys.

I'm sure you will find plenty to enjoy.

At different times of day, there are different types of quiz -some are tests of knowledge, some are more like puzzles to crack.

As with any activity, people can often take themselves and 'it' way too seriously in the minds of other participants. In this case, the joy for everyone else is when they get pipped at the post - or more amusingly, when they turn up in the pub and grab a table - only to find that the quiz has been relocated to the Chart Room because a football match is being screened :)

Turn up, join in and make your own fun.

We love the quizzes on all 3 ships. We were on QM2 last November and there are a few quizzes per day at approx 10.30am, 2pm, 4.30pm, 8pm and 10pm. Some are just the usual 20 questions and last half an hour. The early afternoon one was usually a Dingbats or picture quiz and the late evening quiz was usually a bit longer and involved the TV screens.

Depending on who is running the quiz, can determine the quality. Declan is excellent and doesn't take any nonsense or arguing with the answers. You need someone to be somewhat firm!

We've found that it's a great way to meet people and you generally end up on a team of like minded people, whether you want to take it seriously or just have some fun. We've made lasting friendships this way and it's a big part of our enjoyment on board.

Each to his own, I say :)

In 2014, We took 2 cruises on the QE, 8 months apart. The quiz questions on the 2 cruises were identical. There were jokes during the quiz that the entertainment staff made on the first cruise that sounded spontaneous. Then they were repeated verbatim on the second cruise. We had a winning streak on the second cruise!

Thanks for all the replies :D

We'll definitely give it a go. We're not 'serious' quizzers, but we are competitive, so like one that's organised well :)

Enjoy the quizzes , whatever the quslity or outcome 🍻

We are on QM2 in 9 days and my wife and I will be partaking.

If we do well that's nice, if we don't who cares but what we will be doing is ... Having a laugh and some fun

One nice feature on our voyage was that you can acquire points by winning multiple quizzes over the course of the trip. Then at the end of the cruise you redeem your points for a prize. The more points, the better the prize. I recall we worked our way up to a fountain pen and pad of paper ( shows our sad level of expertise!)

Our part time quiz partners were very good and probably only let us sit in since we were from USA and would occasionally know more about some American pop culture than they did. They were on a back to back cruise, and I am guessing they won one of the lifeboats by the time their trip was finished.

On QM2 you can expect quizzes at 10:00am, 2:00pm, 4:00pm & 8:00pm.

They are held in both the GLP and the chart room.

The busiest is always the first one. Sometimes, there is also one at 10:45. It depends on who the host is.

Stewart

Our part time quiz partners were very good and probably only let us sit in since we were from USA and would occasionally know more about some American pop culture than they did. They were on a back to back cruise, and I am guessing they won one of the lifeboats by the time their trip was finished.