So....Fort Lauderdale?

mufc99

Is it a great place to spend a few nights pre & post cruise?

Obviously we will be booking at least 1 night in a hotel pre cruise, and because we are heading to Vegas after the cruise we are going to do another night because we miss the early morning flight and the other 2 are in the evening - dont want to hang around with 2 suitcases!

We live in a warm climate next to the ocean, so sea/beach activities aren't something we will be indulging in.

Are the Everglades tours a must do?

Is Las Olas Boulevard the main place to head to for bars & restaurants?

Anywhere else?

Are there any dodgy areas to stay away from?

Is a trip to Miami a must do or is there enough to see in FT Lauderdale?

Thanks!

That's where we stay too. There is a desk in the lobby that you can arrange a trip to the Everglades. We went on it and it was well worth the money. They come right to the hotel to pick you up and drop you off afterward.

I don't know when you'll be visiting but the Everglades is best in the dry season (December through April) when the wildlife gather at watering holes and are easier to spot. That season is also much more tolerable for us humans (the wet season is wet, hot and buggy). Check out the National Park Service website: https://www.nps.gov/ever/index.htm.

For more info on what to do in Fort Lauderdale, where to eat, how to get around, etc. check out http://www.sunny.org.

If you are spending a few nights stay in Fort Lauderdale not one of the suburbs. I would recommend staying on Las Olas Blvd (http://www.lasolasboulevard.com) at the Riverside Hotel or at one of the hotels along the beach. While the 17th Street hotels are great for a 1 night pre-cruise or post-cruise stay the area could be anywhere in the USA with consecutive strip malls and hotels lining a 1 - 1 1/2 mile long stretch of very busy roadway.

Edited by capriccio

If you haven't been to Miami beach/South Beach, I'd go there for your one or two day post cruise stay. Just the people watching.. and strolling the art deco area, Lincoln Road and Ocean Drive areas is fun. Ducks Tour which involves land and water is nice. So is the hop on hop off bus to get an overview of the Miami area neighborhoods.

Spend the first day in Ft. L and take the water taxi during the daytime to see the whole area. Agree that the Las Olas Blvd is a pretty road with everything in walking distance.

The Everglades is okay but as mentioned time of year should be taken into account. And with Zika...I personally would be prepared with mosquito protection.

We will be going at the start of April next year, so think we will make a move in staying at one of those hotels, do a trip to Miami & probably do the Everglades.

A drive to Key West was an option till we realised it was a 4 hour drive, so will be giving that a miss :-(

We will be going at the start of April next year, so think we will make a move in staying at one of those hotels, do a trip to Miami & probably do the Everglades.

A drive to Key West was an option till we realised it was a 4 hour drive, so will be giving that a miss :-(

Definitely skip the Everglades June-September. The mosquitoes are from Jurrassic park.

I would stay on Las Olas Boulevard (some of the best restaurants are there) at The Riverside Hotel.

Las Olas is gorgeous.

I would also put the Water Taxi as a must do.

Water Taxi to where? :-)

Now wondering if we should do Thur/Fri night in Ft Lauderdale, pre cruise, followed by Sun/Mon night in Miami post cruise!

Or would it be better doing them in reverse? Miami pre cruise?

We are juggling with flight times at the moment and are looking at all options.

Now wondering if we should do Thur/Fri night in Ft Lauderdale, pre cruise, followed by Sun/Mon night in Miami post cruise!

Or would it be better doing them in reverse? Miami pre cruise?

We are juggling with flight times at the moment and are looking at all options.

If you are juggling flight options it would be best to do that airport as best option to stay at last, being it would be closest on departure day.

Miami Beach is a great way to spend a day walking around. So much to see!

The beauty of the water taxi (http://www.watertaxi.com) is that it is a narrated (by the captain) tour and hop on/hop off transportation all in one. The best way to see the waterfront mansions and yachts that are signature icons of Fort Lauderdale is by water.

Take a look at the route descriptions on the website. If you are staying in a 17th Street area hotel, you would pick it up at the Hilton Marina and tour the intra-coastal, get off and take a look at the beach, and then go up the New River as far as the Riverside Hotel on Las Olas. If you want to go further up the New River you can transfer at the Las Olas stop to the New River Route. If you stay on Las Olas at the Riverside Hotel, you can take either (or both) routes from the Las Olas stop.

The website also gives additional information (restaurants - sometimes with discount coupons, hotels, shopping, etc.) in the detailed description of each stop.

The water taxi looks an interesting way of seeing the place.

As you know its always hard to get a grasp of a place you have never been to, but once you been it all falls into place.

I suppose the biggest nark when booking holidays is staying somewhere too long and somewhere else not log enough.

Because we are travelling from Western Australia, its unlikely we will be heading that way too many times.

South beach looks good and also a little pricey.

Like your blog & links, and will be following you for a while :-)

With boarding the cruise day, we arent too fussed if we are in Ft Lauderdale of Miami, because the latter is only 30 minutes away...isnt it? :-)

I suppose if our incoming flights are all equal we would be wondering which of the 2 places would be best to spend a Thurs/Fri night?

With boarding the cruise day, we arent too fussed if we are in Ft Lauderdale of Miami, because the latter is only 30 minutes away...isnt it? :-)

No. Downtown to downtown best case scenario is one hour. Traffic is so horrific between the two cities I've had it take three hours. That isn't uncommon.

Definitely skip the Everglades June-September. The mosquitoes are from Jurrassic park.

I would stay on Las Olas Boulevard (some of the best restaurants are there) at The Riverside Hotel.

Las Olas is gorgeous.

I would also put the Water Taxi as a must do.

Question about the everglades we were planning on going towards the end of Oct or is that not a good time

No. Downtown to downtown best case scenario is one hour. Traffic is so horrific between the two cities I've had it take three hours. That isn't uncommon.

Gee...well Google got it wrong! :-)

Would the traffic be bad on a Saturday morning from Miami at 11am?

Question about the everglades we were planning on going towards the end of Oct or is that not a good time

I don't like discouraging anyone from visiting the Everglades - it is a true American treasure!

The best time for wildlife spotting is during the dry season (winter) since much of the water (in a normal year; this past El Nino year that didn't really happen) recedes and the wildlife congregates at watering holes making the viewing easier. I've taken visitors to Everglades National Park in October, January, February and March. In October the wildlife viewing was disappointing to me (having seen it at other times) but our guests still enjoyed it. Bring mosquito repellent in October too (it usually isn't necessary in the winter). See the National Park website: https://www.nps.gov/ever/index.htm

If you aren't planning to visit the actual park but plan to take an airboat ride at one of the private companies along the edge of the park, I think you will see some alligators (they are ubiquitous) regardless of the time of the year.

I don't like discouraging anyone from visiting the Everglades - it is a true American treasure!

The best time for wildlife spotting is during the dry season (winter) since much of the water (in a normal year; this past El Nino year that didn't really happen) recedes and the wildlife congregates at watering holes making the viewing easier. I've taken visitors to Everglades National Park in October, January, February and March. In October the wildlife viewing was disappointing to me (having seen it at other times) but our guests still enjoyed it. Bring mosquito repellent in October too (it usually isn't necessary in the winter). See the National Park website: https://www.nps.gov/ever/index.htm

If you aren't planning to visit the actual park but plan to take an airboat ride at one of the private companies along the edge of the park, I think you will see some alligators (they are ubiquitous) regardless of the time of the year.

Thank you for the info was planning on doing both maybe we will just do the airboat ride

I'll be flying the Thursday before our Saturday departure on the Freedom of The Seas in January. Considering we're flying from Chicago I'm planning for worst case scenarios snow related to get to the boat on time.

With that said, does anyone have an idea of the type of weather we should plan for once we are in FL? Trying to see what activities to plan for myself and my parents with the two days we'll have before the cruise

Thank you!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

I'll be flying the Thursday before our Saturday departure on the Freedom of The Seas in January. Considering we're flying from Chicago I'm planning for worst case scenarios snow related to get to the boat on time.

With that said, does anyone have an idea of the type of weather we should plan for once we are in FL? Trying to see what activities to plan for myself and my parents with the two days we'll have before the cruise

Thank you!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Historically I think our average daily high is mid 70s and average daily low is mid 70s. It should be pool weather and many times in January we've been on the beach in bathing suits.

It can and does get into the 80s during the day.

Because the ocean temp hovers around 70 degrees, it is hard to the air to sustain temps much lover for very long.

Edited by BlueHerons