Embarkation Pride of America ???

On our April cruise we arrived around 12:30 and were on the ship in less than an hour. Our cabin was not ready until around 2:45 (Deck 7). Seemed like the higher decks were ready first and they were going down in order. Relatively easy embarkation!

Edited by jd1966

If you're in a suite, feel free to arrive a little early (we were there by 10:30am). The suite lounge will have snack and refreshments and is a fairly comfortable place to relax before they're ready to board.

If you don't have a suite, I wouldn't arrive until after noon. The terminal doesn't have all that many places to sit and wait.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Just got off the POA and arrived at 11:45. We were in a suite and they weren't all the way set up at the entrance. We were on board by 12:30 and taken directly to Cagney's for lunch. Our room 12000 was available by 2:00.

If you're in a suite, feel free to arrive a little early (we were there by 10:30am). The suite lounge will have snack and refreshments and is a fairly comfortable place to relax before they're ready to board.

If you don't have a suite, I wouldn't arrive until after noon. The terminal doesn't have all that many places to sit and wait.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The ship doesn't leave the port until 7:00 pm. I think most people were on board by 5:00 as the boarding information states to be on the ship at least 2 hours before departure time. I think if you arrived at 2:00, it would be almost a walk on.

I have been reading that the cabins are not ready before 2 pm. Would there be a problem arriving for embarkation after 2 pm ?

• 1 month later...
Does anyone have any advice regarding the best time to arrive for boarding Pride of America on embarkation day ? Thank you in advance for your tips.

Our experience was quite unlike any other NCL boarding. We usually arrive at the pier between 11 am and noon for most cruises.

We did that for POA and found we were WAY early, because the ship does not sail until so late. They took our bags but we had to wait a bit for boarding. Fortunately, we were suite guests so the wait wasn't bad, and we were on board pretty quickly, but surprised at how empty the ship was. However, it was nice to sort of have the ship to ourselves and be able to explore without fighting a crowd.

• Like 1

We arrive at 1:15 and had a deck 11 inside room. There was a short line, maybe 20 mins to get luggage tags. Waited 10 mins for an open receptionist to get checked in and were on board by 2. Room was ready. Had most of our luggage before muster at 4:45.

We are cruising in January on POA, we are staying on oahu the night before and would like to squeeze in a Pearl Harbour tour in the morning before embarkation, we'd probably get to the ship around 2pm, we're in a suite, any thoughts yes or no?

We are cruising in January on POA, we are staying on oahu the night before and would like to squeeze in a Pearl Harbour tour in the morning before embarkation, we'd probably get to the ship around 2pm, we're in a suite, any thoughts yes or no?

If you are asking "yes or no" re suite boarding around 2:00, it should be no problem. You'll just want to be on the ship before muster drill at 4:45. Make up drill is in Maui. Incidentally, on our last POA cruise, they had a suite reception set up on the ship in the Napa Wine Bar which is located just outside the door to Cagneys where the suite breakfast and lunches are. You have to walk through this area to get to Cagneys. The Concierge was chatting everyone up, and they had trays of champagne, wine.

If you are asking about the advisability of a PH tour before embarkation, see a thread on this topic further down this board. We have done it, but it has to be very early, and either a tour booked well in advance, or early tickets booked at least 2 months in advance if going on your own. I think NCL offers a tour on disembark am with drop off at hotel or airport if that might work for you.

Edited by punkincc

I highly value my Hawaii time and never get on this ship before late afternoon. Sometimes, I've flown in early afternoon and made the ship in plenty of time. I shake my head, at the people, I always see lined up "waiting" when I'm getting off the ship- early, before 9am. Why waste the day? I have a lot better things to see and do, than hold up in a dreary terminal for hours, just to claim I'm "first" on the ship. :) I've done these sailings over 10 times. NCL has the winner itinerary. :)

We flew in a day early for more time against jetlag coming from East Coast. Had early bird full breakfast at the hotel open air atrium, went to check in & drop off our bags, parked our rental minivan just outside - metered parking w coins, cheap - meet our relatives from town & drove over to nearby Chinatown to sightsee and Vietnamese Pho lunch, dropoff the clan so they can board & take a short nap.

I dropped off the rental next & car rental shuttled me back to port, with time to unpack before muster drill. All but one of my BIL's checked luggage were delivered by mid afternoon, his showed up 3 hours later as it was sent to the wrong deck. Finished dinner & we're still docked at 8pm, waiting for 1+ bus load of NCL Air pax to arrive late due to mainland delays, railway was 10pm instead as we watched the group running for the gangway. Hit our beds at 3:30 or 4AM on EDT. Our group's morning breakfast assembly time was 7 with a full day on land.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

Edited by mking8288

If you are asking "yes or no" re suite boarding around 2:00, it should be no problem. You'll just want to be on the ship before muster drill at 4:45. Make up drill is in Maui. Incidentally, on our last POA cruise, they had a suite reception set up on the ship in the Napa Wine Bar which is located just outside the door to Cagneys where the suite breakfast and lunches are. You have to walk through this area to get to Cagneys. The Concierge was chatting everyone up, and they had trays of champagne, wine.

If you are asking about the advisability of a PH tour before embarkation, see a thread on this topic further down this board. We have done it, but it has to be very early, and either a tour booked well in advance, or early tickets booked at least 2 months in advance if going on your own. I think NCL offers a tour on disembark am with drop off at hotel or airport if that might work for you.

Was just curious if people recommended getting there before 2, I'd rather squeeze pearl harbour in, in the morning, and save a whole day at the end of the cruise to relax. The tour we are looking will drop off at our hotel at 1245 so time to grab our suitcases and get a cab back to the cruise terminal before the muster drill. With regards to the tour we are coming from the UK so will be booking with an organised group well in advance.

Was just curious if people recommended getting there before 2, I'd rather squeeze pearl harbour in, in the morning, and save a whole day at the end of the cruise to relax. The tour we are looking will drop off at our hotel at 1245 so time to grab our suitcases and get a cab back to the cruise terminal before the muster drill. With regards to the tour we are coming from the UK so will be booking with an organised group well in advance.

No reason to get there before early to mid afternoon. Always better to be out enjoying Hawaii rather than sitting in a cruise terminal or walking around a ship. Some say, you have paid for the day on the ship, go early and get your monies worth. I say, I paid a lot to get all the way over to Hawaii, and I'd like to see as much of it as possible. :D

• Like 2

If you have the interest in seeing Pearl Harbor, that way, trumps getting on the ship early. :)

Even though it is simple to go on your own, there are tours available. See what tour fits your time best, and just board the ship, when it's over.

• 5 months later...
We arrive at 1:15 and had a deck 11 inside room. There was a short line, maybe 20 mins to get luggage tags. Waited 10 mins for an open receptionist to get checked in and were on board by 2. Room was ready. Had most of our luggage before muster at 4:45.

If the ship doesn't leave until 7. does anyone know why they have muster at 4:45? People probably don't even have to be on board until 5.

Does anyone have non-suite experiences with arriving any earlier than noon? I like roaming around the ship before it gets bust and we plan on being there for several days pre-cruise, so it isn't like we have to get there.

Do people get on board and then get back off to tour, or once they are on, they are on for good?

If the ship doesn't leave until 7. does anyone know why they have muster at 4:45? People probably don't even have to be on board until 5.

Does anyone have non-suite experiences with arriving any earlier than noon? I like roaming around the ship before it gets bust and we plan on being there for several days pre-cruise, so it isn't like we have to get there.

Do people get on board and then get back off to tour, or once they are on, they are on for good?

We got to the pier about 11:30, left the bags at the bag drop, went through security, checked in as Latitude Gold (special check-in line), assigned to boarding group 1, got seats in the waiting area, saw a short hula show (with lessons), boarded right after the suite people, dropped off our carryons at the Asian restaurant, & sat down for lunch in the Skyline MDR by 1PM. After lunch, roamed around the ship until our deck was called.

We got to the pier about 11:30, left the bags at the bag drop, went through security, checked in as Latitude Gold (special check-in line), assigned to boarding group 1, got seats in the waiting area, saw a short hula show (with lessons), boarded right after the suite people, dropped off our carryons at the Asian restaurant, & sat down for lunch in the Skyline MDR by 1PM. After lunch, roamed around the ship until our deck was called.

Thank you! That was exactly what I was looking for. The Hula show sounds like an interesting addition. I find every port is a little different.

The luggage storage inside the terminal is right next to the check-in area, nearly impossible to miss them - one can store the "carry-on" luggage there after dropping off the "checked" luggage for delivery onto the ship - finish the check-in & get the Guest key cards, etc. and NOT proceed up the gangway - exit the terminal area & go enjoy a short day doing sightseeing, lunch or whatever - and, come back before 4:30 PM (scheduled time for the mandatory life boat drills ... makeup is Day 2 for those that missed it, so don't worry) & go thru security & up the gangway.

Just beware that road traffic in the Waikiki area can be pretty bad ... it's just like being on the "mainland".

And, yes, we've seen pax leaving the ship in the afternoon (finished early lunch ??) to do whatever and then return later on. For our particular sailing, we remained docked until 10:15 PM waiting for 2 busload of pax (apparently, flown using "NCL Air") to get there, do the check-in thing ... before they can board. Just about everyone finished dinner & a good time on the open deck and on the promenade watching the last minute actions below with both the pax & luggage loading. Day 2, we managed to arrive at our first port early ... didn't miss a beat.

• 2 weeks later...
I highly value my Hawaii time and never get on this ship before late afternoon. Sometimes, I've flown in early afternoon and made the ship in plenty of time. I shake my head, at the people, I always see lined up "waiting" when I'm getting off the ship- early, before 9am. Why waste the day? I have a lot better things to see and do, than hold up in a dreary terminal for hours, just to claim I'm "first" on the ship. :) I've done these sailings over 10 times. NCL has the winner itinerary. :)

We will get to the airport at 6am. We will get something to eat and the girls will no doubt do some shopping at the stores there, hopefully window type and not buying type, and will hang out at the airport until about 10am. We have a shuttle pick us up get to the terminal about 10:30, drop our luggage off at the pier, walk about 1/4 mile from the terminal to a bus stop, catch a bus to Waikiki for a couple of hours and catch a bus back to the terminal, check in about 3:30 - 4 pm and get on the ship.

• 7 months later...

Just boarded POA today. We had the 1 night precruise Waikiki hotel promo. Included bus to port.

Bus was 10:30. No line we got zone B. On board having lunch by 11:45.

We were at Aulani for 5 nights and did some sightseeing so this was our relaxing ship pool day. Busy touring everyday.

Embarkation was very quick with Hawaiian dancers and music to keep us occupied for the 15 min wait.

Enjoying some live music at the pool with a cocktail .... oh yea this cruise has officially started:-)

Kerri

We were on the 7/15 sailing. Had the Marriott deal, bus left at 10:30, had bags picked up in room. Walked right through check in via the suite line was on board by 11. Had lunch in Cagney's at 12:30 as we had walked Diamond Head earlier. Only difference we notice was the suite was not opened until after the muster drill. No big deal.