Cunard and Celebrity compared

fantasy51

So £12 for a gin and decent tonic, or less?

Some rough prices for Celebrity -

Hendricks is about $11 + compulsory 18% service Charge

Tanquery is about $8 + 18%

Soda is $3 + 18% (including large cans of tonic - I think they do smaller bottles for less as a mixer)

Small Glass of wine $8-$11 + 18%

Bottle of Fullers London Pride - $9 +18%

Cruises from Southampton have higher prices because the 18% is built in.

This website is very good for Celebrity Menus

http://www.thepreismans.com/index.html

Edited by DYKWIA

I think it was my post on the Celebrity forum that referred to the drinks as being expensive on Cunard? Cunard do not offer any type of package other than a "wine package" which has little if any savings. The measures are UK measures despite paying in $. The package on Celebrity whether it is included in your price or you pay for it separately represents very good value as it includes all the speciality teas and coffees, smoothies and fresh juices.

Just a correction to your above post;: The sprit measures on all Cunard ships (all spirits and the spirit in all cocktails) are indeed US measures, that's almost a double in the UK ! .. Drinks also include ( from 6pm) generous offerings of Hot & cold Canapes' ..Nuts & Crisps .'These are automatically served in all bars' ( with the exception of the pub & night club) and a piano player thrown in ;)

I have to disagree with you .... A wine package has to have some sort of advantage ...common sense will tell you that buying six or more bottles of wine on a package will always make a saving.

Free drinks packages :rolleyes: don't be fooled ...there's no such thing as free Lunch ...you've already paid for it in your cruise fare.

Edited by Bell Boy

Say what you will I think a drinks package encompassing all I have said beats hands down paying separately for every drink and by the way I have yet to have served on Cunard what I would class as a double measure apart from maybe in a cocktail

For some years I have been cruising with Cunard, mainly on Queen Victoria. On Friday I completed my first cruise with Celebrity on the Reflection. I thought people might be interested to read my impressions (and those of the friend who travelled with me) of the differences between QV (Cunard’s Queen Victoria) and CR (Celebrity Reflection). Remember that these are personal opinions based on my own preferences and personality. Others would react to the same ships in a different way.

Dancing: It is the ballroom and the dance hosts that will take me back to QV time and again. CR has tiny dance floors and the one mainly used is in the main foyer, with art sculptures and the staircase obstructing the flow, not to mention people walking across in front of the dancers to get to the other side. If you are lucky you get a 45-minute dance session to recorded music during the day (the only time you can dance ballroom) and some shuffling around to the band in other sessions. Occasionally the band played music to which we could have danced, but we would have looked like ‘social fruitcakes’ to attempt a proper cha cha or whatever while everyone else was bopping around.

My time on the CR was lovely, and I will enjoy my next cruise on Equinox, but it won’t be long before I book again on QV. I think I am a Cunard person at heart.

Thank you for sharing your thoughts.

As a very keen dancer I too have been disappointed on Celebrity's dancing facilities.

Having said that the 'Soltice' ships do actually have a very good area - far better than the Atrium floor - but, for whatever reasons they may have, never seem to utilise it for serious dancers.

It's the Sky Observation Lounge...

18372309542_a1b222e255_z.jpg

Just a correction to your above post;: The sprit measures on all Cunard ships (all spirits and the spirit in all cocktails) are indeed US measures, that's almost a double in the UK ! .. Drinks also include ( from 6pm) generous offerings of Hot & cold Canapes' ..Nuts & Crisps .'These are automatically served in all bars' ( with the exception of the pub & night club) and a piano player thrown in ;)

I have to disagree with you .... A wine package has to have some sort of advantage ...common sense will tell you that buying six or more bottles of wine on a package will always make a saving.

Free drinks packages :rolleyes: don't be fooled ...there's no such thing as free Lunch ...you've already paid for it in your cruise fare.

I'll second that Bell Boy. Jayneykul got it wrong.

And as you say, the hot and cold canapés that accompany pre-dinner drinks add to the Cunard ethos.

Would you be prepared to get a martini from another bar and then just sit in Cellar Masters for the quiet? That's the sort of thing I would do. When my cough was bad, I would pick up a Bailey's from any bar and take it in to dinner or the theatre or wherever.

Find the best space you can and then colonise it with everything you need from other areas of the ship.

Too far to walk with a martini and then what happens when I want another (not that I got much chance to get a second in the other lounge - by the time I got the servers attention it was time for dinner). Underlines my point that there is nowhere to be served a quiet drink - except Michael's Club which is why we booked a SkySuite this summer. Celebrity's equivalent of the Grills - albeit not as good!

Edited by godfreyb

Too far to walk with a martini and then what happens when I want another (not that I got much chance to get a second in the other lounge - by the time I got the servers attention it was time for dinner). Underlines my point that there is nowhere to be served a quiet drink - except Michael's Club which is why we booked a SkySuite this summer. Celebrity's equivalent of the Grills - albeit not as good!

Good morning Godfrey.

I'm glad you qualified that with ..."albeit not as good"

Having done three Celebrity cruises a la 'Sky Suite' I'd say they don't compare on any scale.

We prefer Cunard, but Celebrity is not a bad backup when Cunard is not available.

I believe I already said that. If Cunard sailed to anywhere warm from New York in August we would be on there, but it doesn't and therefore, as I have already said 'Celebrity is not a bad back up when Cunard is not available'. I didn't say it is comparable, but Cunard is unavailable so 'what to do?'.

When I look a the end of year Caribbean QM2 cruise from New York and I look at the Haven on (god forbid) NCL the itineraries seem much better - but I know 'it is not Cunard'!

I think it was my post on the Celebrity forum that referred to the drinks as being expensive on Cunard? Cunard do not offer any type of package other than a "wine package" which has little if any savings. The measures are UK measures despite paying in $. The package on Celebrity whether it is included in your price or you pay for it separately represents very good value as it includes all the speciality teas and coffees, smoothies and fresh juices.

Yes it was, thanks for clarifying.

Some rough prices for Celebrity -

Hendricks is about $11 + compulsory 18% service Charge

Tanquery is about $8 + 18%

Soda is $3 + 18% (including large cans of tonic - I think they do smaller bottles for less as a mixer)

Small Glass of wine $8-$11 + 18%

Bottle of Fullers London Pride - $9 +18%

Cruises from Southampton have higher prices because the 18% is built in.

This website is very good for Celebrity Menus

http://www.thepreismans.com/index.html

Cunard prices for comparison, spirit measures are 1.5 oz and include a free draught mixer-

Hendricks $8.25 + 15%

Tanquery $7.75 +15%

Sodas $2.75 + 15%

Small Glass of wine $5.95 -$10.50 (most $8.75) + 15%

London Pride $5.95 + 15%