Is the Crown in Juneau port early?

kayred

I noticed this too. I'm wondering if there was a bad fog in Glacier Bay so they decided to visit it on the way back to Vancouver instead? Be interested to hear from someone onboard.

Owing to US Immigration issues in Vancouver, the ship sailed very late. As a result the ship missed the tidal window for the inside passage and the whole itinerary has had to be changed.

Owing to US Immigration issues in Vancouver, the ship sailed very late. As a result the ship missed the tidal window for the inside passage and the whole itinerary has had to be changed.

GAH! Some people have planned a "once in a lifetime" cruise to Alaska. To have it messed up due to some immigration issue would be very upsetting. One has to wonder what the "immigration issues" were.

I just read this on the Celebrity page:

"The (immigration) kiosks were not operational. It probably would have saved time. I think there were 11 CBP processing 8000 passengers."

There are reports of people getting there at 12pm and not boarding until after 4pm and ships not leaving until 8pm. Looks like it's the first time this season that they had 3 ships in port all boarding at once.

You should be fine on the 13th - Crown is the only ship in port.

I just read this on the Celebrity page:

"The (immigration) kiosks were not operational. It probably would have saved time. I think there were 11 CBP processing 8000 passengers."

There are reports of people getting there at 12pm and not boarding until after 4pm and ships not leaving until 8pm. Looks like it's the first time this season that they had 3 ships in port all boarding at once.

You should be fine on the 13th - Crown is the only ship in port.

Ah, I feel sorry for everyone who's schedule has been upended but that does make me feel better for ours.

I have heard that Canada Place can be a mess when multiple ships are in, I looked at the port schedule awhile back and was really glad that we are the only ship in when we embark.

We had this experience on our Alaska cruise in June 2014. We arrived at Canada Place at noon but it was after 4.30pm before we embarked. The line for immigration for non US/Canadian citizens was the hold up. We sailed over two hours late but luckily it did not mess up our schedule.

We also saw the Crown sailed late on the following cruise the day we disembarked.

Beth

Ah, I feel sorry for everyone who's schedule has been upended but that does make me feel better for ours.

I have heard that Canada Place can be a mess when multiple ships are in, I looked at the port schedule awhile back and was really glad that we are the only ship in when we embark.

Ugh, we sail from Canada Place a week Saturday. Just checked their port schedule and there are three ships in port that day. I hope our embarkation goes smoothly! (and I hope those folks on the Crown still have a great trip!)

Ugh, we sail from Canada Place a week Saturday. Just checked their port schedule and there are three ships in port that day. I hope our embarkation goes smoothly! (and I hope those folks on the Crown still have a great trip!)

You on the Star on the 21st? Me too! I will wave to you. I'm sure I'll be easy to spot among the other 8000 people there....:eek:

I was wondering why my ship schedules were showing the Crown in places the schedules said they should be. At least I don't feel like I'm crazy now.:rolleyes:

Island Princess 2008 Alaska, Island Princess 2009 (B2B) Alaska, Royal Princess (Old) 2010 Alaska, Golden Princess 2011 Alaska, Coral Princess 2012 Panama Canal, Star Princess 2012 Alaska, Island Princess 2013 Alaska, Crown Princess 2013 Western Caribbean, Caribbean Princess 2013 Western Caribbean, Royal Princess 2014 Eastern Caribbean, Royal Princess 2014 New England, Emerald Princess 2014 Western Caribbean, Emerald Princess 2015 Western Caribbean, Ruby Princess 2015 Alaska, Caribbean Princess 2015 Western Caribbean

You on the Star on the 21st? Me too! I will wave to you. I'm sure I'll be easy to spot among the other 8000 people there....:eek:

Haha, no, we're on the May 14th sailing - I just clearly need to learn how to read a calendar ;) It does NOT feel like we're sailing on Saturday! We'll just have to wave as I leave the ship and you board!

We were waiting for the Crown to sail by the other evening and finally gave up and went to bed. In would seem that, or at least hope that this was a one off situation with CBP in Vancouver. Its a very unfortunate situation for passengers but also for the Port of Vancouver when it was CBP's inability to turn out sufficient officers to clear the passengers. Oh and by the way each fare includes something in the order of $7 for preclearance at Canada Place and that is remitted to CBP.

For anyone who might find themselves with a long wait at Canada Place, you might want to make sure you have something to eat with you. We'd expected to have lunch on the ship but although a few snacks were provided from time to time, there wasn't enough and the vending machines were soon empty. We were starving by the time we got on board.

I've heard that you should either plan to board early or late at Canada Place.

We are boarding the Coral on 6/25, and hoped to have lunch on board. I believe when I checked I saw there will be two ships boarding that day.

What is the earliest we can (or would want to) arrive?

Alternatively, if we decide we can't make it that early, what is the latest we should arrive to still be safe but avoid the crowds?

The Crown was late leaving Vancouver because 3 ships with about 8500 people being processed by the immigration people and the Crown was one of them. All 3 ships sailed late and the Crown would have been unable to reach Glacier Bay until 9pm which would have been too late for the passengers to be able to see anything. The schedule was changed and the ship was re-scheduled to visit Glacier Bay on Monday before heading to Skagway and Ketchikan.

Processing on last Saturday for the Nieu Amsterdam (bound for Alaska) and the Ruby (overnight to Seattle) was also slow. The Ruby's on-board safety drill was delayed a quarter hour or so due to the delay also.

Tom

We were waiting for the Crown to sail by the other evening and finally gave up and went to bed. In would seem that, or at least hope that this was a one off situation with CBP in Vancouver. Its a very unfortunate situation for passengers but also for the Port of Vancouver when it was CBP's inability to turn out sufficient officers to clear the passengers. Oh and by the way each fare includes something in the order of $7 for preclearance at Canada Place and that is remitted to CBP.

We too went to the beach to watch the Crown go by, but gave up at 10:30 and went home to bed.:( However, the holdup was the US Customs and Immigration preclearance, was it not? Fortunately, for our departure on the 13th, the Crown is the only ship in port.

I doubt it is the tidal window as much as the speed limit. Ships can travel much faster in open seas. Actually on our Inside passage cruises we were in open seas until the first port.

I doubt it is the tidal window as much as the speed limit. Ships can travel much faster in open seas. Actually on our Inside passage cruises we were in open seas until the first port.

Sorry this is incorrect information unless you sailed from Seattle in which case you would be in open waters for most of your first day out in the Pacific on the west side of Vancouver Island. Ships from Vancouver sail in the sheltered waters between Vancouver Is and the Mainland and are only exposed to open waters for a few hours as they cross Queen Charlotte Sound and Dixon Entrance. However there is the famous Seymour Narrows which is north of Campbell River. These narrows have currents that can exceed 16 knots. So ships try to go thru Seymour Narrows on a slack tide, preferably a high slack and with the current on their bow. To go thru the narrows with the current on their stern could result in the loss or steerage and disaster. So with the US CBP screw-up in Vancouver last Friday the Crown missed the evening tide in the Narrows and peoples vacations were negatively effected.

I have gone thru Seymour Narrows on many occasions on various sizes of vessels since 1963 and know them very well. I now live on the coast north of Vancouver (actually west but I don't want to confuse anyone) and the ships sail right by our home; sometimes the race by so as to catch an early tide in the Narrows and on other evenings they almost drift by because the tide is later in the Narrows.

Sorry this is incorrect information unless you sailed from Seattle in which case you would be in open waters for most of your first day out in the Pacific on the west side of Vancouver Island. Ships from Vancouver sail in the sheltered waters between Vancouver Is and the Mainland and are only exposed to open waters for a few hours as they cross Queen Charlotte Sound and Dixon Entrance. However there is the famous Seymour Narrows which is north of Campbell River. These narrows have currents that can exceed 16 knots. So ships try to go thru Seymour Narrows on a slack tide, preferably a high slack and with the current on their bow. To go thru the narrows with the current on their stern could result in the loss or steerage and disaster. So with the US CBP screw-up in Vancouver last Friday the Crown missed the evening tide in the Narrows and peoples vacations were negatively effected.

I have gone thru Seymour Narrows on many occasions on various sizes of vessels since 1963 and know them very well. I now live on the coast north of Vancouver (actually west but I don't want to confuse anyone) and the ships sail right by our home; sometimes the race by so as to catch an early tide in the Narrows and on other evenings they almost drift by because the tide is later in the Narrows.

The Crown is sailing the Inside Passage RT from Seattle. As you stated, cruises from Seattle sail in and out on the west side of Vancouver Island. Although it is called an Inside Passage cruise your ship will be in the Pacific for around 36 hours during your cruise. To make the itinerary the ships on this route need to sail out in the Pacific where they can sail at higher speeds. It is ironic that the Voyage of the Glaciers itinerary spends more time in the Inside Passage than the Inside Passage itinerary. Edited by IECalCruiser