Questions about room service

Sailing on the Pearl in July in an aft penthouse suite (category SF). We have a butler, and also the UBP and UDP (we booked last year so it's labeled as "UDP" and not "SDP"). I know NCL recently added a charge for room service ($7.95, except continental breakfast).

I was reading on here that the butler will bring you whatever food/drinks you want from the ship to your room. So...is this considered room service? Or is it butler service, so no charge? And how does the UBP/UDP fit in? :confused:

Basically I guess I am asking, what constitutes the $7.95 charge, and what doesn't? Hope that makes sense!

Thank you :)

https://www.ncl.com/faq/money-matters

Is Norwegian Cruise Line now charging for room service?

Norwegian Cruise Line has introduced an enhanced room service menu. The new menu offers an expanded selection for breakfast, in addition to a wider variety of options available 24 hours. Individual items on the menu remain available on a complimentary basis and a convenience charge of up to $7.95 will be added to each order placed (Morning coffee, continental breakfast and orders placed by guests sailing in The Haven will not attract a charge)*. Room service is one of up to 29 dining options offered across the fleet, and guests continue to be able to enjoy a wide array of complimentary choices onboard 24 hours a day.

*Prices subject to change.

Hi there... definitely order through Butler and room service charge is not incurred.

I would recommend reading the T&Cs for the UDP because it is certainly more generous than the SDP (now with a set limit of Specialty Dinners).... but for the most part, if you want to have dinner in your Haven room and it is from a Specialty Restaurant.... order through the Butler. If your T&Cs give you a set number of dinners... you will just use one of the "credits" for the dinner.

T&Cs change so often depending on promos that I do not want to generalize an answer and give you misinformation.

Hi there... definitely order through Butler and room service charge is not incurred.

I would recommend reading the T&Cs for the UDP because it is certainly more generous than the SDP (now with a set limit of Specialty Dinners).... but for the most part, if you want to have dinner in your Haven room and it is from a Specialty Restaurant.... order through the Butler. If your T&Cs give you a set number of dinners... you will just use one of the "credits" for the dinner.

T&Cs change so often depending on promos that I do not want to generalize an answer and give you misinformation.

Thanks! Yeah, we can have specialty dining every night of our cruise, whereas my in-laws booked after us and only got a 4 night SDP promo.

We're not in the Haven...I know they don't incur a room service charge at all.

I was just thinking, for example, for our day in Glacier Bay, if we wanted to eat lunch from the privacy of our balcony and asked the butler to bring us food, if that would incur a charge.

For some reason I'm thinking there is no room service charge for any type suite. However, the butler is certainly free. We recently did an SF on the Jewel. You'll certainly like it. However, eating on the balcony while in Glacier Bay, you're going to have to like your food cold. Glacier Bay is cold! We also had the earlier promotion. The "ultimate" beverage and dining package was great. All service charge was included and it was for all 7 nights. We also had the daily service charge covered by the promotion. Being platinum, we had to not use several nights of specialty dining that was also available for us. All in all....like damn stealing!

For some reason I'm thinking there is no room service charge for any type suite. However, the butler is certainly free. We recently did an SF on the Jewel. You'll certainly like it. However, eating on the balcony while in Glacier Bay, you're going to have to like your food cold. Glacier Bay is cold! We also had the earlier promotion. The "ultimate" beverage and dining package was great. All service charge was included and it was for all 7 nights. We also had the daily service charge covered by the promotion. Being platinum, we had to not use several nights of specialty dining that was also available for us. All in all....like damn stealing!

Yeah, I rethought that after I wrote it LOL. I've been to Glacier Bay before, definitely a bit chilly! :eek:

Our DSC was not included but we got the lower rate before they upped it by a buck or two. We always tip extra anyways and plan on bringing cash for the butler, concierge, and bartenders.

Like I said, just wasn't sure if we'd incur a charge. We cruise with Royal too, and their room service is free except for certain hours (like midnight-5 am) and even then it's only $3.95 or something. In the end it probably will not matter to us, but I was just curious. :rolleyes:

We're staying in 10166 on the Pearl as we speak. We have UBP, UDP and so far have eaten every breakfast in our suite and a dinner all with no charge. Call your butler and let him know what you want and he will take care of it. Ask your cabin steward for deck blankets the day you board so that if you want to enjoy meals on the balcony you will be comfy. If you're lucky you will have Loy as your butler......he spoils us!!

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

Edited by watchdiva

We're staying in 10166 on the Pearl as we speak. We have UBP, UDP and so far have eaten every breakfast in our suite and a dinner all with no charge. Call your butler and let him know what you want and he will take care of it. Ask your cabin steward for deck blankets the day you board so that if you want to enjoy meals on the balcony you will be comfy. If you're lucky you will have Loy as your butler......he spoils us!!

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

I hope you are having an amazing time! Thanks for the info! We'll be in 10664. I'll definitely look out for Loy!

My cruise ended last Saturday on the Pride of America. I also had the UDP for everyone in my group. If you use the specialty dining rooms there was no additional charge....even for Lobster as long as we dined in the Specialty restaurants. There is an UP charge for Lobster or other "premium" items in the main dining rooms, even with UDP, (go figure) so if you want Steak and Lobster and have the UDP eat at the specialty restaurants. I would verify with the restaurant on your ship that this is the same for the Pearl. I have heard that that the rules can change from ship to ship.

Thanks! Yeah, we can have specialty dining every night of our cruise, whereas my in-laws booked after us and only got a 4 night SDP promo.

We're not in the Haven...I know they don't incur a room service charge at all.

I was just thinking, for example, for our day in Glacier Bay, if we wanted to eat lunch from the privacy of our balcony and asked the butler to bring us food, if that would incur a charge.

Sailing on the Pearl in July in an aft penthouse suite (category SF). We have a butler, and also the UBP and UDP (we booked last year so it's labeled as "UDP" and not "SDP"). I know NCL recently added a charge for room service ($7.95, except continental breakfast).

I was reading on here that the butler will bring you whatever food/drinks you want from the ship to your room. So...is this considered room service? Or is it butler service, so no charge? And how does the UBP/UDP fit in? :confused:

Basically I guess I am asking, what constitutes the $7.95 charge, and what doesn't? Hope that makes sense!

Thank you :)

As a suites guest you do not pay for room service. Your butler will bring you a meal from the specialty restaurant using your UDP. You can also order anything from Cagney's for breakfast. You are not limited to he items on the hang tag.

All are delivered at the time you request with a white table cloth.

As a suites guest you do not pay for room service. Your butler will bring you a meal from the specialty restaurant using your UDP. You can also order anything from Cagney's for breakfast. You are not limited to he items on the hang tag.

All are delivered at the time you request with a white table cloth.

It is true that you are not restricted to items listed on the "room service" or hang tag menus. For instance you can write in "omlette" or whatever, but not all ships allow you to order specific breakfast items from Cagneys as we recently found out on the POA in March.

As a suite guest in the past, we had always ordered suite breakfast items specific to Cagneys like the Tahitian Vanilla French Toast with no problems. On the POA, it was specifically noted in our suite welcome letter that breakfast room service from Cagneys was excluded. I don't know why it should be any more of a problem on the POA than any other ship. Perhaps this is a new change which will go fleetwide?

Sailing on the Pearl in July in an aft penthouse suite (category SF). We have a butler, and also the UBP and UDP (we booked last year so it's labeled as "UDP" and not "SDP").

UDP and SDP are two separate products with different terms (SDP is limited by number of meals but UDP is not, etc), it's not just a "label". :)

Edited by Demonyte