X Marks the Spot-The Summit to Bermuda & Back

Rosethorn40

Thank you for a great and very timely (for us:) review. We are cruising at the end of May.

If you used Solarium were you able to find lounges or they were all"chairhogged" :) at 4 am ? ? We were on Equinox and loved the Solarium area. But they had many lounges on both sides of the pool. Now I see that half of the lounges on Summit were taken away during the dry dock and replaced by the tables and chairs.

I'm so looking to spend a lot of time relaxing in the Solarium but I think it will be very hard to get a lounger in the morning.

Edited by Aldeya

Thank you for a great and very timely (for us:) review. We are cruising at the end of May.

If you used Solarium were you able to find lounges or they were all"chairhogged" :) at 4 am ? ? We were on Equinox and loved the Solarium area. But they had many lounges on both sides of the pool. Now I see that half of the lounges on Summit were taken away during the dry dock and replaced by the tables and chairs.

I'm so looking to spend a lot of time relaxing in the Solarium but I think it will be very hard to get a lounger in the morning.

It wasn't as bad as I thought it might be (Chair hogging). I suffer from insomnia and was up early every morning just walking around and only noticed a few times when there would be towels laying on loungers. They were enforcing the 30-minute rule in the solarium, and that's the next area I am going to discuss at length, but I have to go off to work, so that tidbit will have to wait until tonight.

Thank you for taking the time to write your great review. We are sailing on the Summit in August and yours is one of the first recent reviews to highlight the itinerary. I am enjoying your positive, informative review.

Do they still have the iron lounge chairs by the pool area without padding? Very uncomfortable if you have back issues.

No, the loungers by the pool were like the ones on the port side in the solarium. I would say there were about 16 of those loungers around the pool & 2 hot tubs.

Thank you for taking the time to write your great review. We are sailing on the Summit in August and yours is one of the first recent reviews to highlight the itinerary. I am enjoying your positive, informative review.

No pictures, but an alternative view I posted yesterday from the same sailing:

http://www.cruisecritic.com/memberreviews/memberreview.cfm?EntryID=532818&et_cid=2633025&et_rid=166526371&et_referrer=Boards

Chair Hogs of course!

I was really expecting a lot on this cruise because the weather wasn't great, and I figured many would want to hang out at the solarium. I don't think it wasn't for a lack of trying though on a few passengers part, it's just they were thwarted by a woman with an issue with insomnia. You see I can fall asleep quite easily, but staying asleep can be nearly impossible. At home when I awake at 3:30am I just slip out of bed and go downstairs and have long meaningful conversations with my cats, or I play on the computer.

Anyway, in order not to disturb my sleeping DH on cruises I usually get dressed and go for a stroll around the decks. If I happen upon any lonely towels lying on a lounger I have been known on occasion picked them up and put them in the used towel hamper. I never touch personal items though, just towels. Anyway, the first morning I was in the solarium and I noticed a few lonely towels. Since it was 5am and even the bar crowd had gone to bed by this time, the solarium was empty (Except for me of course). Since I knew that no one on THIS cruise could possibly be a chair hog I concluded that they must have been left from the day before, and thoughtfully put them where used towels belonged. I then selected a lounger for DH & myself.

IMG_2970_zpscj8klwex.jpg

There are only three (3) of these double loungers in the solarium. One is in an alcove, the other two are close to the windows and offer sea views and are much desired. Based on my experience, if you want one of these you will need to get up to the solarium by 6:45 on a sea day (Or send your insomniac spouse to snag one earlier). Regular loungers should be available until 9:00 or so.

There were signs posted that if items were left unattended the pool butlers would remove after 30 minutes. They were enforcing it too. I saw several items being removed. On the second sea day I asked a pool butler what was the policy and he told me that if all the chairs were taken, and someone came in looking for a spot, they would remove items, but as long as there were chairs available they would not, no matter how long the items had been there.

I always find it interesting that two people can be on the same ship at the same time, and had a totally different experience. I guess its based on past experiences (My first Celebrity sailing so nothing to compare it to), & expectations.

I found the closet space and drawer space to be more than adequate, but then I have a tendency to under pack. Our bed was fine, true not my hybrid memory foam/pillow top on an adjustable base (And sans my 85 pound dog, & 4 cats who I missed desperately). I do agree that the pillows were small, but they were fluffy and we each had two. I am sure if I had asked I could have gotten more. I did speak to a woman one day in the thermal suite and she had a terrible mattress based on what she told me (And I have no reason to disbelieve her).

I agree that the dinning room seemed overwhelmed and not able to handle the volume of guests each night. I was not enamored with the Tuscan Grill; the starters were good, but my filet was dry, cooked right, but dry. I was also disappointed that I could not get a glass of Moscato in an Italian restaurant. They were selling half bottles for $33. What???? Mascato doesn't sell for that much in any land based restaurant that I know of.

I am sorry to hear that this trip didn't live up to your expectations. If you are still working, as I am, I know that vacation days are precious few and you want to make sure you get value for your vacation dollars and time. Hope your next trip goes better.

Really enjoying this review, for a few reasons. We are new to Celebrity and booked a cruise on the Solstice for Australia next year.

Just one quick question--is the Solarium free to just sit in? It look like just the kind of spot we would like but I don't think DH would pay more for it :D

Thanks

ML

Really enjoying this review, for a few reasons. We are new to Celebrity and booked a cruise on the Solstice for Australia next year.

Just one quick question--is the Solarium free to just sit in? It look like just the kind of spot we would like but I don't think DH would pay more for it :D

Thanks

ML

Yes, The solarium is free to use. The Aqua Spa Café is also free, except for the smoothies.

Thanks for the good information and useful photos. My wife and I will be sailing this ship on June 12, 2016 and are looking forward to our first time on the Summit and a return to Bermuda to celebrate our 25th anniversary. Happy Cruising Bob and Linda

Is there any way you can scan and post the Daily's. Especially the hourly events for daily activities? Thanks, enjoying your review!!

I have them, and plan on posting. However, I am tech challenged and my #1 techie employee chose this week to go to Boston! I am going to see if my #2 can help me.

Excellent review!

I was on the same cruise. For my take on it, see my review:

http://www.cruisecritic.com/memberreviews/memberreview.cfm?EntryID=532882

Enjoyed reading you review. Unless someone is trashing an entire cruise over something I think is petty I enjoy reading the different perspectives. I also thinks it gives others, who may be trying to decide if this is the best vacation option for them, more information to come to their conclusion.

...Snip

However, to anyone driving up I-95, you will need cash to pay for the tolls unless you have an Easypass. I paid $24.40 in tolls on the way up (And $20.40 on the way home). I thought that was high, but later spoke to a couple that had driven in from Ohio, paying over $60 in tolls!...Snip

I was stunned the first time we drove to Bayonne from NC. The tolls!:eek:

This year I got a transponder from NC that is supposed to work in the northern toll roads.

I'm thinking to be able to sail thru the tolls and just pay 1 bill will be nice.

I am also enjoying your report. Thank you!