Anthem of the Seas, June 2-11, 2016

Also following along. We sailed the Breakaway last summer and are looking forward to the Anthem on June 25! Thanks for your ongoing review and pics ... can't wait for comparisons! Hope you're enjoying your morning. :)

Also following along. We sailed the Breakaway last summer and are looking forward to the Anthem on June 25! Thanks for your ongoing review and pics ... can't wait for comparisons! Hope you're enjoying your morning. :)

That call sign 'islesgrrl' sound familiar... we were on the 7/19/15 Breakaway cruise, you may have helped me then?

Thanks so much... will share the Teen Planner with my boys (13 & 16)!!!!

... by the way, you don't spend all night at your desk on board, you do sleep too, right?

Would love to know what you felt made Anthem better???

We felt Breakaway was too closed in, actually felt claustrophobic in some areas. The layout was very choppy and we prefer Royals promenade areas. The Breakaway pool area was the worst. Two pools, one was 6 feet deep all around. Not enough space. The ropes area was fun though. Many public rooms were just small and the balcony off the room was tiny. They seemed to put more effort into the pay venues. Food was okay, entertainment was okay also.

Not much doing during the day and when there was we were confined to the middle area and, yes, crammed in!

I haven't been on Anthem yet (one more week!) but I can second DaniDanielle's statement about NCL. We sailed Escape which is the newest in the Breakaway class and it felt VERY closed in compared to Royal. Ceilings were very low, hallways narrow (we had to walk single file to our room), very small public spaces. The elevator banks really stand out in my mind-on Royal the waiting area (and even some glass elevators) are open and span many floors. You can see the promenade or library or something other than a wall. The adult "pool" area didn't even have a pool! No comparison to Solarium. We had a free specialty dining package so the food was excellent but there was little variety during the day other than buffet. I'm excited to see how Anthem stacks up. Glad to be back to Royal.

Guest maddycat

I'm enjoying your posts. I can't get over the picture you posted of your office. I'm amazed at the amount of computer equipment that you bring with you on a cruise.

I haven't been on Anthem yet (one more week!) but I can second DaniDanielle's statement about NCL. We sailed Escape which is the newest in the Breakaway class and it felt VERY closed in compared to Royal. Ceilings were very low, hallways narrow (we had to walk single file to our room), very small public spaces. The elevator banks really stand out in my mind-on Royal the waiting area (and even some glass elevators) are open and span many floors. You can see the promenade or library or something other than a wall. The adult "pool" area didn't even have a pool! No comparison to Solarium. We had a free specialty dining package so the food was excellent but there was little variety during the day other than buffet. I'm excited to see how Anthem stacks up. Glad to be back to Royal.

And for a third - I had very similar experiences on the Epic.

I won't be setting foot on any of NCL's newer ships anytime soon.

I guess I should have answered your question about Anthem[emoji854]she is a really pretty ship. Plenty of space to wander around or just sit and read. The Esplanade does get crowded during their many sales but there are other places to go. We had a lot of activities on our cruise and the shows were excellent. Food is okay, we really enjoyed Silk. 270 is a wonderful place to go have a drink or food from cafe 270. The ocean views are amazing .. Best pool area of any ship we have been on. We do prefer the oasis class better but we live close to Bayonne so no flying! Easy checking in.

Thanks, all

When I went down for coffee a little after 5 we were approaching Bermuda. I went up to the jogging track about 6 for a walk and sunrise but found it completely cloudy and too windy for pleasant walking after 2 laps. We pulled into Heritage Wharf about 7:30 and were cleared to leave the ship at 8:10.

When in Bermuda on the Breakaway a week ago I had booked a Segway tour of the dockyards but it was cancelled for lack of participation. I don’t think the tour was listed on Royal’s website when I first looked at their tours but it was after my Breakaway cancellation so I booked it. I would have preferred an afternoon tour to be busy until the end but not miss the ship, but my tour was for 9AM.

After donning helmets and some instruction about a dozen of us were off around 9:15. We started with the buildings in the immediate dockyards area, mostly originally machine shops and warehouses when built. A few are currently abandoned but many are now shops and restaurants. As we left the dockyards we stopped and our guide briefed us on the Casemate, used as a military barracks and as a prison but abandoned since 1994 We continued towards Somerset and Hamilton for about 1 ½ miles. Much of our travel was on the main road which was a bit scary but we had one guide leading and another following along and monitoring traffic.

Once we came to a fork in the road we moved to a side street and then followed a section of the old rail trail, stopping at a pretty overlook where the guides took pictures of us. On the way back we stopped at “Glass beach”, a beach near a former glass factory. When the factory closed, the glass was thrown into the ocean and much of it has broken up, been worn down smooth, and returned to the beach. In a form of apparently sanctioned graffiti, an area of large stones has been decorated with messages. We returned pretty much directly from there, just stopping a couple of times to let traffic pass.

https://solocabinchallenge.files.wordpress.com/2016/06/mysegway.jpg

https://solocabinchallenge.files.wordpress.com/2016/06/railtrail.jpg

I believe as built the Segways have a top speed of about 20mph; ours seem to have been governed for about 5mph.

When the tour ended about 11 I took the bus into Hamilton. The buses are a very integral part of the island’s local transportation system, and although we left the dockyards with only about 5 people, by the time we reached the midpoint of the route the bus was full. We passed a few stops by as there was no room for additional passengers. The trip to Hamilton is about an hour.

I had a little shopping to do and got some lunch; then waited for the 1PM ferry, walked around the dockyards a bit more, and was back on the ship about 2.

When All Aboard came at 3:30 I headed to the upper decks. There were still a few people running towards the ship at 3:40 as our first lines were hauled in. At 3:50 Captain Erik announced all were on board and we were ready to leave, and we started moving almost immediately. We will be sailing pretty close to top speed to be in St. Maarten on time. I spent some time on my balcony as we sailed out and was impressed with how close the channel was to some pretty nasty reefs.

https://solocabinchallenge.files.wordpress.com/2016/06/danger.jpg

My dinner tonight was in the Grande. The Anthem does not have formal nights but the Grande is the dressier restaurant. Jackets are “required” although many gentlemen were not wearing them. Things there are up a notch from the other restaurants, even with fancier cutlery and the waiters in nice jackets. I went for the carrot salad and Classic chicken breast, followed by an interesting and tasty Apple tarte tatin., and then stopped by the diamond lounge for a diet coke.

https://solocabinchallenge.files.wordpress.com/2016/06/tatin.jpg

Soon after I returned to my room a letter arrived with instructions for tomorrow’s All Access Tour. Otherwise I pretty much chilled in the evening, but happy to be moving the clocks back tonight.

As a parting shot I note with sadness the imminent passing of another Vision Class ship. While I have never sailed the Legend of the Seas, she will be missed and I fear it brings closer the departure of the Grandeur.

Roy

@clarea My husband really enjoys your posts. He doesn't like public posts lol but wanted to know if he could message you privately on FB (well it would be me b/c he doesn't do FB either lol) or get your email. He loves reading all the great info here!

Looking for info on the pollution issue at Great Bay, Grand Cayman. How bad is it, are the reports true?

Thanks ‘DaniDanielle’ and ‘ATLgirl15’ and ;Of TheSeasCruiser’ for all your insights on Breakaway and Anthem!

…and ‘islandgrrl’, I knew it was you from last year!

…and of course ‘rafinmd’ for your Journals and resources!!!!

July 28th is a comin quick!

Much of Sunday morning was taken up by the All Access tour. About a dozen of us met in the Silk dining room at 9:15 and Richard processed our paper work and we headed back to the galley for the start of our tour. Wonderful smells came our way in the bakery and pastry sections, and the chef explained the inventory control system with a display of current orders so the proper amount of food can be prepared and served fresh. As we left the galley we were treated to drinks and chocolates.

https://solocabinchallenge.files.wordpress.com/2016/06/pastry2.jpg

The galleys are on decks 3 and 4 (as well as at all the restaurants), and we headed down to deck 2 where we visited the coolers and freezers. We were told we carry a 30% surplus of food and fuel, sufficient for 2-3 days at sea.

https://solocabinchallenge.files.wordpress.com/2016/06/eggsgalore.jpg

We headed down I95 (the crew corridor on deck 2 that runs the length of the ship) and took a look at the recycling area where anything that can be recycled is separated and packaged for offloading. The proceeds of recycling efforts support crew activities.

We ducked into the aft stair landing where security ran a metal scan and then went back to the engine control room. A 2nd Engineer showed us photos of the stabilizers, azipods, and thrusters and explained the various video monitors around the room. He explained we are testing a technology where air bubbles are released beneath the ship to reduce drag.

https://solocabinchallenge.files.wordpress.com/2016/06/control1.jpg

We dropped pretty much to the bottom of the ship, deck 00, to visit the laundry. In addition to the very large washing machines and dryers there was a “compartment” washer which is divided into 9 compartments with the laundry going through the compartments in sequence. Each compartment’s cycle is about 2 ½ minutes which means the machine can process a LOT of laundry in an hour. We also saw some fancy pressing machines including one in the shape of a mannequin for shirts that will press a shirt in very short order. Up on deck 1 we saw an automated linen folder which will press, fold, and sort sheets in very short order. I saw a similar machine on the Breakaway.

https://solocabinchallenge.files.wordpress.com/2016/06/manpress.jpg

Back on deck 2 we passed through the crew dining room as well as the coffee shop and internet café. Most crew share a room, either 10 feet square or smaller with bunk beds while there are some crew singles somewhat smaller than my studio on the Breakaway (the bed folds into the wall). An activity board had a run down of the week’s special activities for the crew.

https://solocabinchallenge.files.wordpress.com/2016/06/crew-wj.jpg

Our next stop was back stage in the theater but first we had to pass through the Crown and Anchor party (which I missed). The back stage area is crammed with sets, leaving little room for cast costume changes.

https://solocabinchallenge.files.wordpress.com/2016/06/caparty.jpg

Our final stop was the bridge. A second officer explained how things worked. At the port bridge wing we saw all the features of the wing consoles (a smaller version of the center console but with all the same features), and the view through the glass floor down to the dock as well as the view along the side of the ship. Directly behind the bridge was a 3-room emergency control center with 2 rooms crammed with monitors for all the areas of the ship and a large table with detailed diagrams of each deck in the center room. The tour ended at noon and Captain Erik was in the other room preparing his noon update. The emergency control center has a solid door which can be closed at night to prevent light pollution on the bridge.

https://solocabinchallenge.files.wordpress.com/2016/06/thebridge.jpg

https://solocabinchallenge.files.wordpress.com/2016/06/wingviewdown.jpg

https://solocabinchallenge.files.wordpress.com/2016/06/wingviewback.jpg

This is about my 9th back of the house on 4 cruise lines and was one of the better ones. The best 2 were probably the Radiance and Queen Elizabeth, while the least of them was the Breakaway. There is some justice though, the Breakaway was $89 while the Anthem was $150.

Roy

Edited by rafinmd
Bad photo link

Roy,

Can you provide a shot or scan of the on board drink package pricing?

Thanks!

I'll take a look tomorrow but no promises. I don't drink so haven't been paying attention. I did notice in the restaurant today there was a flyer on the table for special dining packages and it indicated that one of the restaurants must be booked on day 1 or day 2; I don't know if the drink packages need to be booked early in the cruise so I'll see if there's anything still around.

Roy

I was up on deck 15 about 5:30 and walked 2 miles on the jogging track. As I rounded the bow on the first lap the sun appeared almost directly to our port. The wind in my face walking forward was strong but not quite strong enough to seriously hinder my walking.

https://solocabinchallenge.files.wordpress.com/2016/06/dawn0605.jpg

I added one piece of equipment to my “office”. It’s much heavier than my scanner and I don’t usually carry it but I have a portable printer. I brought it this time because I was driving to the pier and thought I might need to reprint the list of cabins for the cabin crawl. Sunday was the last of my dining reservations. We are supposed to be able to make reservations on the IQ terminals around the ship, but when I went there it said I had no reservations and when I attempted to make them was told “You are scheduled to dine at .... as part of your rotation. Please view your (empty) calendar to see where you will be dining.” I thought that catch-22 called for escalation of the situation and wrote a letter to the Hotel Manager. I had completed the letter but not yet printed it when the day’s activities were ready to start.

https://solocabinchallenge.files.wordpress.com/2016/06/printer.jpg

The Sunday observance was a Joel Steen video screened in the Music Hall. When it ended it was time to start my All Access tour (separate post).

The tour ended at noon and I got out the printer and printed my letter and headed down to guest relations. I got the impression their training is to handle everything themselves and not bother the senior staff. The lady made several calls before finding someone who would “help” her final verdict was that I had 3 more days reservations in the same order as in my first 4 days.

After lunch I looked at my schedule and it still had no reservations beyond Sunday. I went down to the reception at the dining room and the receptionist confirmed no further reservations but I was able to make them for the rest of the cruise and was even able to alter the order a little bit. I still have random wait staff each night and must wait in line to be assigned a table, but it’s at least better than what I have. I was also successful in making a reservation for “The Gift”

After all this I did a little more exploring (finding the library and the Italian restaurant on the boat deck), and worked on my pictures from the All Access Tour. With the outlet beside the bed I can just about work my laptop from my balcony. I may try to find a short extension cord at St. Maarten or San Juan and make working out there a little easier.

Dinner tonight was the last of the restaurants on the Classic rotation, Silk. I had the Chicken Noodle soup and the Duck. I believe for the next few days the restaurants will have a change in menu.

https://solocabinchallenge.files.wordpress.com/2016/06/theduck.jpg

When I was back stage on the All Access tour the sets from “We Will Rock You” had been put away. There will be a day or 2 of headline entertainers. Tonight’s was singer Tony Tillman. I thought he was pretty good but not as great as he sees to think he is.

https://solocabinchallenge.files.wordpress.com/2016/06/tillman.jpg

I’ll take my parting shot from the Joel Osteen video. He told a story (parable?) of an old man who was virtually deaf. An operation became available that restored his hearing. When he went back to the doctor for his checkup a month later he was asked how his family reacted to his new hearing. “Oh, I haven’t told them about it. I’ve been listening and have already changed my will 3 times.” Be careful what you say, you never know who might overhear.

Roy

I’ll take my parting shot from the Joel Osteen video. He told a story (parable?) of an old man who was virtually deaf. An operation became available that restored his hearing. When he went back to the doctor for his checkup a month later he was asked how his family reacted to his new hearing. “Oh, I haven’t told them about it. I’ve been listening and have already changed my will 3 times.” Be careful what you say, you never know who might overhear.

Roy

Sage advice! I am enjoying your review.

Thanks ‘DaniDanielle’ and ‘ATLgirl15’ and ;Of TheSeasCruiser’ for all your insights on Breakaway and Anthem!

…and ‘islandgrrl’, I knew it was you from last year!

…and of course ‘rafinmd’ for your Journals and resources!!!!

July 28th is a comin quick!

Check in with me after I get back on June 30th ... I'll let you know my opinion on how the ships compare! Can't wait to find out, lol. [emoji4]

Edited by islesgrrl

Thanks scottygirl and islesgrrl.

In the early morning there was a nice sunrise but the winds were roughly 40kt. I had planned on walking in town rather than on the ship, and that turned out to be fortunate.

https://solocabinchallenge.files.wordpress.com/2016/06/dawn0606.jpg

We were at sea all morning and I’m having trouble figuring out where the morning went. I did do some walking on the ship as I passed the studio rooms several times hoping to find an open door as the stewards were making the rooms up. It did finally happen, and the room looked pretty roomy. I also spent some time working on my report as treasurer of my local fire department and after about 11 was watching our sail into St. Maarten.

I think this is my 4th visit to St. Maarten. I was here on the Crystal Symphony in 2002, the Celebrity Summit in 2012, and I think the Maasdam in 2014, so I am fairly familiar with the port. As I did the last time, I did not have any organized activities but walked into Philipsburg and walked around the town some. It’s kind of a quaint town with narrow streets with restricted traffic, a beach front, and lots of local stores as well as the standard Caribbean Port stores both at the port and in town.

https://solocabinchallenge.files.wordpress.com/2016/06/courthouse.jpg

https://solocabinchallenge.files.wordpress.com/2016/06/mainstreet.jpg

The official temperature was 84F but it felt hotter than that to me. I stopped at McDonalds for a Diet Coke to cool off a bit, and also stopped at a hardware store for an extension cord. Town is roughly a mile walk from the ship with the half closest to the ship a narrow walkway along the busy main road. I was back on board about 3PM and soon up on the pool deck for ice cream.

Dinner tonight was at Chic with Lamb Shank as well as a nice cookie. The dining room was very quiet as I think many people were in town late; this is the only port where we stay docked into the dinner hour.

https://solocabinchallenge.files.wordpress.com/2016/06/thelamb.jpg

https://solocabinchallenge.files.wordpress.com/2016/06/cookie.jpg

I sampled 2 forms of entertainment. There was a “Virtual Symphony” in Two70. It was nice but essentially a video of a concert. There was also a Name that Tune game in the Royal Theater with games at 8:30 and 10:30.

https://solocabinchallenge.files.wordpress.com/2016/06/symphony.jpg

https://solocabinchallenge.files.wordpress.com/2016/06/nametune.jpg

Today’s parting shot–a wish for safety for those in the path of Colin, and may it dissipate before reaching Maryland or New York.

Roy