HAL or RCI for sea days

My sister is just off an RCI cruise (I do not sail them anymore) and reported that the food was mediocre, one night it was 'atrocious' and that the service was not wonderful. Might have been a 1-off for RCI but HAL is all about service, I have never had bad food on the P'dam and her hull design is unique in today's ships so she sails very smooth. Have done a TA on her several times and even in a storm with 15-foot swells, could easily control my sea sickness with a Dramamine.

Would you chose the atmosphere of the Prinsendam or the Jewel of the Seas for a Transatlantic, and why?

I have not been on Prinsendam, but I have cruised RCI Radiance Class ships. Based on my HAL and RCI experiences, I would pick Jewel of the Seas. RCI has much better entertainment than HAL, not to mention a beautiful glass enclosed indoor pool. Having cruised extensively on RCI and a few times on HAL, I can assure you that service is not an issue on RCI. I've had nothing but excellent service on both lines. Food has been hit-or-miss on both for me, so totally subjective there.

I have done a Transatlantic on the Jewel and would do it again in a heartbeat. One of the best cruises ever. Beautiful ship, views from everywhere, and wonderful service. Our cruise included Iceland and we had a great guest lecturer from there on board, so we were well prepared when we got there.

I have sailed both ships but not on transatlantics. For me it would be the Prinsendam in a heartbeat, but all ships serve a certain clientele, and I'll mention a few of the differences:

Prinsendam has a true and very nice promenade deck. On the Jewel you CAN walk around the deck but must go up and down stairs at the bow.

Prinsendaevm will have a Priest on board and if there is not a Protestant Chaplain the Priest may do an interdenominational service on Sunday.

Prinsendam will have more live music.

Activities on Prinsendam-probably lectures, culinary classes, free computer classes. Jewel-Belly flop contest and the like.

Entertainment is more elaborate on Jewel, but every cast of the Prinsendam singers and dancers I've seen has put on excellent shows.

You will be especially lucky if you get Captain Tim Roberts on the Prinsendam, one of the finest masters on the sea.

I have not yet sailed TA on the Prinsendam but am booked on the 11/17 voyage and will go IF I can work it out with the first half of the Amsterdam Grand Asia.

Roy

Edited by rafinmd

I've done two transatlantics (on Celebrity and Cunard) and the average age onboard will be 65. Working people don't have the luxury of seven sea days in an effort to get to Europe. There will be a handful of 40 somethings with pre-schoolers. You won't see belly-flop or best leg contests on Royal on a TA because there won't be people willing to do those things without breaking a hip.

The days go by blissfully with trivia games, lectures of some sort, and bingo occasionally.

If you like peace and quiet (like a library with people sleeping in the reclining chairs) Holland is for you.

If you want more upbeat organized activities every hour on the hour- Royal is going to be more your style.

Edited by rebeccalouiseagain

I just did two transatlantic trips on the Prinsendam as part of the Grand Med and I've done 4 on RCI ships in the past. They are all good. Just depends on your interests and whether you appreciate a small intimate ship. Loved the enrichment lectures on the Prinsendam but have had good lectures in the past on RCI. The Brilliance class RCI ships are as large as I would want to go. Love their use of glass. I'd rate food and service about equal on both lines but the crew will remember your name on the Prinsendam.

Thanks for all the helpful replies. Getting the perspective of cruisers who choose Holland America is most helpful. We like HAL, and I feel that we'd really like the Prinsendam for the standard reasons (based on CC reading). The Jewel itinerary is four days shorter, though, and would prefer to ask for a little bit less time off. We are motivated mainly by the crossing (me) and seeing Rome (DW has not been there, plus it’s my favorite foreign city). If getting the vacation time proves difficult, we may opt for the Queen Mary - I’ve already noticed some pretty good fares for a few of her crossings (and Rome probably won’t change much should we postpone a visit there).

Entertainment, service and food are not a priority, but I’m glad I have some advice now regarding these. An environment that accentuates being at sea is a much higher priority (hopefully not in the wrong way, with rough seas).

Thanks Rafinmd for the heads up regarding priests on board. I read somewhere that a priest is expected on RCI repositioning cruises, and hopefully I’ll get confirmation from Apostleship of the Seas. Thanks also for the info regarding the promenade, as walking around outdoors has been our main pastime on our seven cruises. The stairs would be a nuisance but I could put up with them for one cruise. I'm just glad to have found an option, in the Jewel, that also offers a wraparound (albeit the stairs).

Leaning toward Prinsendam if we can get three weeks off, but still deciding.

An environment that accentuates being at sea is a much higher priority (hopefully not in the wrong way, with rough seas).

Thanks also for the info regarding the promenade, as walking around outdoors has been our main pastime on our seven cruises. The stairs would be a nuisance but I could put up with them for one cruise. I'm just glad to have found an option, in the Jewel, that also offers a wraparound (albeit the stairs).

Just a couple notes on these points. With regard to an accentuation of being at sea, No other ship has sea views like Radiance Class. The ship has large windows everywhere. Like it's namesake, the ship really is a jewel in the RCI fleet.

Yes, there are stairs on both sides at the forward part of the promenade, but there is a reward for climbing those stairs. They lead out to the bow helipad, which is open 24/7.

Here are a couple pics showing some of the windows and helipad.

ry%3D480

ry%3D480

Edited by Aquahound

Just a couple notes on these points. With regard to an accentuation of being at sea, No other ship has sea views like Radiance Class. The ship has large windows everywhere. Like it's namesake, the ship really is a jewel in the RCI fleet.

Yes, there are stairs on both sides at the forward part of the promenade, but there is a reward for climbing those stairs. They lead out to the bow helipad, which is open 24/7.

Here are a couple pics showing some of the windows and helipad.

Thanks for the pics. Does Jewel's promenade usually have padded lounge chairs available for reading or just relaxing, in the shade? (I will start a thread on the RCI boards if I have more questions specific to the Jewel.)

Thanks for the pics. Does Jewel's promenade usually have padded lounge chairs available for reading or just relaxing, in the shade? (I will start a thread on the RCI boards if I have more questions specific to the Jewel.)

Yes, there are both loungers and chairs with foot rests down both sides of the promenade. It's been several years since I cruised Radiance Class....back then it was the type of chairs with the rubber straps. I don't know if they upgraded to the padded wood chairs like on HAL since then.

Edited by Aquahound