VOOM speeds on Grandeur

Just wanted to update anyone looking for newly tested VOOM speeds. I'm getting very good surf and stream around 4mbps download and 3mbps upload. Ping is pretty high but streaming in HD works great. 12.99 value is worth it IMO for a single device. No complaints.

Just wanted to update anyone looking for newly tested VOOM speeds. I'm getting very good surf and stream around 4mbps download and 3mbps upload. Ping is pretty high but streaming in HD works great. 12.99 value is worth it IMO for a single device. No complaints.

That's great to hear. Thanks.

I'm getting pretty high pings 500/600 ish but does not seem to impact streaming. Kids watched Netflix no issues last night on my Samsung S6.

Thanks! The ping speed means that you are likely still using the geosync (high) satellite. However, the download/upload speeds are much better than I expected from non-O3b.

Edited by clarea

Do you have to use just one device or can you sometimes use the internet area on board and sometimes use your personal device (ie iPad)? Last year on Freedom I paid for 1 device, but used it on different devices.

Hope you're enjoying your cruise! How are the beds?

Thanks!

Do you have to use just one device or can you sometimes use the internet area on board and sometimes use your personal device (ie iPad)? Last year on Freedom I paid for 1 device, but used it on different devices.

Hope you're enjoying your cruise! How are the beds?

Thanks!

You can use any of your own devices or the computers on board, as long as you are only signed into one at a time. (with the one device plan)

Heading into sunny Bermuda. Speeds have been consistently 4mbps down and 3mbps up the whole way. Was even able to watch the hockey game in HD on my phone last night. To the question above yes u can switch between devices as long as u log out on the other. Again I have been impressed with the speed.

Heading into sunny Bermuda. Speeds have been consistently 4mbps down and 3mbps up the whole way. Was even able to watch the hockey game in HD on my phone last night. To the question above yes u can switch between devices as long as u log out on the other. Again I have been impressed with the speed.

Really curious how they can have that kind of performance without using O3b. Thanks again.

Thanks so much Billz1979!!!!

I have no idea what mbps are as I am so technically challenged! As long as my DD can email her husband and message with him on the "book of faces", she'll be fine!!

Next I have to go to Verizon and see if there is a way to use the phone on board! I know some people do.

Only 3 weeks till we board! Have your kids been to the kids club? How are the beds?

Any idea when the Voom started? I got off the Grandeur on May 7th and the internet was very slow the whole 10 days we were on the ship. Could not watch any videos and posting pics took forever.

We paid more for our package too. We boarded on 4/27 and paid for a two device unlimited package and it was $30 per day, a total of $300 minus our D+ discount.

Also on Grandeur. Just purchased the surf and stream for the rest of the voyage. Seems just the same or worse for me. Can get emails, websites but can't access my directv app like I could last month with old system. Does not seem as fast as Anthem or Quantum but I have not done any kind of test. Katherine

Quick internet question....do you have to buy the Internet package for the whole cruise or can you buy it for just a couple of days. Taking a 9 day New England cruise in Sept and really don't want to pay a lot of $$ for the whole cruise, but I would like it for 3-4 days.

Quick internet question....do you have to buy the Internet package for the whole cruise or can you buy it for just a couple of days. Taking a 9 day New England cruise in Sept and really don't want to pay a lot of $$ for the whole cruise, but I would like it for 3-4 days.

You can buy for any 24-hour period you like, but the price per day will be higher than if you bought for th whole cruise.

Any idea when the Voom started? I got off the Grandeur on May 7th and the internet was very slow the whole 10 days we were on the ship. Could not watch any videos and posting pics took forever.

We paid more for our package too. We boarded on 4/27 and paid for a two device unlimited package and it was $30 per day, a total of $300 minus our D+ discount.

Can you tell me the discount for Diamond Plus members on the Grandeur, we just got off the Anthem on Saturday it was our 3rd time on this ship and 2 out of the 3 times the discount for Diamond Plus changed, first it was $60.00 credit now it was $40.00 credit..

Thanks

finally back home and can quickly hop on to give my 2 cents on the Voom package post cruise. As noted in my above post the surf and stream package was purchased pre cruise at 12.99 per day. IMO it was worth every penny. I was able to stream full HD playoff hockey as well as always online for email, FB, washington post app etc. Netflix worked well with the kids as well. This isnt the blazing 75mps up and down I get with FIOS mind you but a solid 2mps up and 4mps down pretty consistently throughout the entire trip. I was using my samsung S6 the entire time. For people wondering if the internet "kicks you off" after a certain period of time the customer service desk said this happened after 2hrs of no use but in my use it only happened when I left the ship (obviously) and at night when the phone was idle for hours. as long as you set the device to allow background data on wifi connection it shouldnt drop. I am not on here all the time but if you have questions dont hesitate to ask.

Since you had kids with you, i'll ask an off topic question (sorry everyone)!

Were little children (4 years old) allowed to wear nice shorts in the dining room?

Thanks for your help. My grandson out grew his long pants and with our summers, we hate to buy him more before school starts in case he has another growth spurt!!!

Bought just the internet Voom package and hope it will allow my DD to message with her DH thru FB since he couldn't join us.

Thanks!

Since you had kids with you, i'll ask an off topic question (sorry everyone)!

Were little children (4 years old) allowed to wear nice shorts in the dining room?

Truthfully (and im sure everyone can back me up on this) the dress code is as loosely enforced as you can ever imagine. while we like to get dressed up for dinner and the kids were excited to wear dresses and button downs I cant imagine anyone caring about what 4 yr olds are wearing as long as its respectful. The crew on this ship is EXCELLENT with children and all of them go out of their way to make kids feel welcomed. That said we always do my time dining and request a back corner table on the first night. They tend to keep that request throughout the cruise. I feel a little better that we are a little to the side and back with the kids. You guys will have a blast though. Dont stress at all. If you can get Jay and Dexter in Mytime they were amazing with the kids.

We always do the 5:30 PM dining with the kids club picking up the kids at 6:30 from the dining room. My granddaughter loves to dress up and my grandson wears a little tuxedo on formal nights! He will look nice in his shorts with a colored polo and it is only a 5 night cruise!

Thanks so much!!

• 2 weeks later...
Does anyone know how far in advance internet is posted. I just looked at my planner for my January cruise and as of now I can't buy it.

Roy

It varies but should be available by the time dining opens around 90 days out.