Don't even think of trying to share the Cheers program with another cabin...

At the risk of being flamed for something someone else did....I thought I would share a reason besides "its against the rules" for one cabin to try to share with another cabin for Cheers.

We went with large group and one lady was not going to drink and her hubby is a big drinker. In another cabin the same situation. They came up with the idea to share it--not good.

Reasons besides it is wrong:

1) Your picture comes up with your cheers card and so the one couple that put it on their card had to get all the drinks--it was logistically hard for them to always be together, so the one couple kind of lost out on opportunities to imbibe.

2) The other couple could use the others cards at certain bars, but did get busted at least once. They did not get in trouble, just refused service.

3) The non drinking ladies changed their minds after the cruise started which 'diluted' the number of drinks available per person and increased the difficulty of sharing.

4) It caused a little bit of "miffed feelings" when the card holding couple got more drinks then the non-card holding couple.

I'm just sayin' from witnessing it--don't do it for lots of reasons.

If they had thought of it beforehand, they should have arranged the rooms so "officially" the guys were in the same cabin and then switch in reality.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

What she said^^^^^^^^?

Or play by the rules...just saying...

People book parents separately all the time and then switch so the kids share a room. I agree that the package shouldn't be shared, but I see nothing wrong with booking this way.

I noticed the photo thing on our last cruise and for some reason mine never came up when they scanned my card. The computer just showed a generic black silhouette.

Personally, I don't have a problem with booking the drinkers in the same room and then physically switching. It's not like they did it to avoid paying for something they weren't suppose to get.

I think Carnival should go more along with RCCL and let a single pax purchase. I just bought packages for a RCCL cruise and since DIL doesn't drink that much it was nice only having to purchase for the DS.

Since they have separate adjoining cabins with the grandkids worse case I would have put one adult in each cabin so I only had to purchase for the DS.

Carnival would sell a lot more of these if they would make it available to just the person that drinks. My wife hardly drinks anything, so why would I want to buy the package for her??? Not going to, so I don't buy it at all. Otherwise I would buy it for myself.

Carnival would sell a lot more of these if they would make it available to just the person that drinks. My wife hardly drinks anything, so why would I want to buy the package for her??? Not going to, so I don't buy it at all. Otherwise I would buy it for myself.

I tend to agree. On our first Carnival Dream cruise I bought for both myself and DW. I kept close track as she felt it wasn't worth it for her. Best case it was a break even for her and a little a head for me.

Next cruise on Magic, I didn't purchase for either one of us where I probably would have bought for just me. Since we had really bad weather the last sea day they would have made money off me on that trip. DW still saved me money.

Well, I take part of that back, as since she couldn't lay out on deck she went to the spa all day. So maybe I didn't save money on her that trip. Heck, thinking about it she cost me more that day than a drink package would have cost for the entire cruise.

We need to talk!!!

Edited by jamesr3939

People book parents separately all the time and then switch so the kids share a room. I agree that the package shouldn't be shared, but I see nothing wrong with booking this way.

No, no problems with that one, but sharing is a different kettle of fish.

Never understood the "Everyone must buy" rule.

Never understood the "Everyone must buy" rule.

Read the Carnival threads here on CC. There are lots of threads/posts about how to get round or break the rules. The result is no bottles drinks can be carried aboard.

My guess is that Carnival assumes in their pricing that not all buyers will drink all 15 drinks a day every day of the cruise. If one person of a couple per cabin has to buy the Cheers card do you really believe almost everyone that buy it won't share with their cabin mate?????

If there is a 15 drink limit per day, what difference does it make if one person has 15 drinks or 15 people have 1 drink. If the limit is hit they stop you from getting more unless you pay separate. If there is no limit then I can understand.

Edited by Verde Man

I can't believe you just realized your pic comes up every swipe. Every purchase on board. Yes, this would be a logistical nightmare. You are better off decided on paying the friend a few bucks a drink.

We did that for this next time around. First time having 2 cabins and will be nice as the kids get older. At first I thought it would be great because I don't drink much other than a few strawberry daqs, but now that coffee and milkshakes are included... Very tempting!

If there is a 15 drink limit per day, what difference does it make if one person has 15 drinks or 15 people have 1 drink. If the limit is hit they stop you from getting more unless you pay separate. If there is no limit then I can understand.

Um, because that 15 drink buffet is for you. Not you and 14 of your friends.

Booking the two drinking adults in the room and switching them afterwards on the cruise is the EXACT same thing as splitting it like the OP's couples did. You're still 'tricking' Carnival either way you do it. I have no problems doing it either way, but people need to stop thinking they're on a higher morale ground because they trick them a different way.

But to the OP I agree with the others in the thread. Lots of people do the bait and switch technique with buying cheers. Guest services will move people and give out extra keys to rooms, so it's really simple to do most of the times.

because you didn't buy 15 drinks. you bought UP TO 15 drinks that YOU can drink.

if you drank 5 drinks then thats what you paid for. You never paid for 15 drinks. that is just the limit if YOU drank that much

I assume carnival assume most people won't hit 15 drinks and provided a price point assuming this. if shared to get many if not all people drinking 15 drinks by sharing, then the price for this package would probably double

so that is the difference

At the risk of being flamed for something someone else did....I thought I would share a reason besides "its against the rules" for one cabin to try to share with another cabin for Cheers.

We went with large group and one lady was not going to drink and her hubby is a big drinker. In another cabin the same situation. They came up with the idea to share it--not good.

1) Your picture comes up with your cheers card and so the one couple that put it on their card had to get all the drinks--it was logistically hard for them to always be together, so the one couple kind of lost out on opportunities to imbibe.

2) The other couple could use the others cards at certain bars, but did get busted at least once. They did not get in trouble, just refused service.

3) The non drinking ladies changed their minds after the cruise started which 'diluted' the number of drinks available per person and increased the difficulty of sharing.

4) It caused a little bit of "miffed feelings" when the card holding couple got more drinks then the non-card holding couple.

Not too smart.

You cannot pay separate for more than 15 drinks. If you have your 15 you are cut off and cannot pay for more drinks. We were on a cruise once with a guy who cancelled the program the second day because they limited his drinking... I do find it odd that no more after 15 with Cheers but if you buy individually you can drink all you want. Not sure where Carnival is coming from there...

It may depend on the bartender but last cruise a lady told me she would never get it again because of the one hour rule. She could not even get a plain soda before one hour. Another lady stood for an hour in the aft pool holding a shot that she was going to put in her next drink to make it stronger. She was annoyed because she could not just get the extra shot and have it count as 2 drinks.

I think many do not realize all the crazy little rules with Cheers. I don't drink that much and have never gotten it but you learn a lot hanging out at the aft adult pool!

You cannot pay separate for more than 15 drinks. If you have your 15 you are cut off and cannot pay for more drinks. We were on a cruise once with a guy who cancelled the program the second day because they limited his drinking... I do find it odd that no more after 15 with Cheers but if you buy individually you can drink all you want. Not sure where Carnival is coming from there...

It may depend on the bartender but last cruise a lady told me she would never get it again because of the one hour rule. She could not even get a plain soda before one hour. Another lady stood for an hour in the aft pool holding a shot that she was going to put in her next drink to make it stronger. She was annoyed because she could not just get the extra shot and have it count as 2 drinks.

I think many do not realize all the crazy little rules with Cheers. I don't drink that much and have never gotten it but you learn a lot hanging out at the aft adult pool!

I'm confused: this says there is a FIVE minute wait. Why is she waiting an hour?

https://help.carnival.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/1106/~/cheers!-beverage-program

It may depend on the bartender but last cruise a lady told me she would never get it again because of the one hour rule. She could not even get a plain soda before one hour. Another lady stood for an hour in the aft pool holding a shot that she was going to put in her next drink to make it stronger. She was annoyed because she could not just get the extra shot and have it count as 2 drinks!

A couple things do not add up here. First you can not cancel the cheers package on the cruise. It's non refundable at that point. Second, there's a 5 minute rule, not one hour.

If one is bound to cheat it is certainly possible as long as the person with the card picks up the drink and then passes it on to the other person. Luckily for Carnival this is a lot of trouble and for most people it is not worth the hassle. But when it comes to money and booze people will find a way to cheat.

Booking the two drinking adults in the room and switching them afterwards on the cruise is the EXACT same thing as splitting it like the OP's couples did. You're still 'tricking' Carnival either way you do it. I have no problems doing it either way, but people need to stop thinking they're on a higher morale ground because they trick them a different way.

But to the OP I agree with the others in the thread. Lots of people do the bait and switch technique with buying cheers. Guest services will move people and give out extra keys to rooms, so it's really simple to do most of the times.

I have no horse in this race as I don't drink much so we don't get Cheers. However, switching rooms is not EXACTLY the same things as splitting one Cheers between two people. Mainly because two people are purchasing their own Cheers. They are not trying to share the package like the OP was talking about.

For example, two couples go on a cruise. The wives don't drink, the hubby's do. They book their rooms with the two hubby's in one room and the two wives in the other. The two men purchase their own Cheers package. Then they switch rooms so they are back with their wives. Perfectly acceptable, as they are each purchasing their own package. The wives are fine and they are not sharing drinks as the wives don't drink.

The sharing is cheating the system, the switching rooms is working the system. Not the same thing.

I do find it odd that no more after 15 with Cheers but if you buy individually you can drink all you want. Not sure where Carnival is coming from there....

From what I have read here on the boards, some people have found they can purchase during the day and not use Cheers and it doesn't count toward their 15 total. It just won't work if you have already purchased your 15. Not sure about that, but it has been reported on CC.

Ok mom! Can i go play at Timmy's now?!?!?!? Geesh where do these people come from, get outta here