Don't even think of trying to share the Cheers program with another cabin...

And I'm sorry I got frustrated. But now we're talking - let's get some dialog going. Raise prices or lower the count - those are real and viable options. As a consumer I feel like if I buy something I should be allowed to do what I want with it. Right now, Cheers is useless to me. If they would figure out a program with less drinks for a lower price or maybe have a small fee to allow sharing then they have a shot at my money. (Restaurants often charge a sharing fee for couples that want to split an entree. Cheaper than 2 full meals so the diners are happy and the restaurant gets to cover the cost of washing the extra plate and utensils)

There's a lot of ways they could do it. It's completely at their discretion. I think they could make more people happy and still make money.

They also need to keep things simple so it doesn't become an administrative burden onboard. I don't know if CCL has more heavier drinkers than other cruise lines but it sure seems that way based on some of the posts I read in this forum;). If Cheers works for you, good, if it doesn't as far as CCL is concerned that's still good for their bottom line. I believe that you said that you buy a bottle for your room (I've already bought mine for our upcoming cruise:)) so they get the markup on that bottle, which is substantial and while you won't spend $700 or $800 in the bar onboard you'll still spend something.

CCL is the best position to know their customers and their habits and to establish a program that makes money for them and works for most of their customers. So while the rule may seem stupid to you I would be willing to bet that if you looked at all of the data that CCL has available that it would make more sense (I'm not saying you would agree with it, just that it would make more sense).

It's seems like reasonable rationale that drink sharing would occur more often between people who share a cabin so I do understand the basis for the rule. What I don't agree with is that Carnival stopped allowing exceptions to the rule that all passengers 21 & over have to buy the package. I have an adult autistic son with multiple medical problems & taking multiple medications. I also have a letter from his primary physician on his office letter head that states he is "expressly forbidden" to drink alcohol. In the past, that would have exempted him from the rule, but no longer. Clearly I would not be sharing any alcohol with him.

I wish they would go back to allowing exceptions. I can't imagine I would ever drink anywhere near 15 drinks in a day, but it would just be nice to prepay a bar tab for the cruise & not have to think about it again.

How easy is it to make up a doctor's note? And then where do you draw the line? Yes, CCL used to make exceptions but my guess is that too many people took advantage of it so they had to stop. The few ruining it for the many.

We do that because Carnival requires us to book a parent in each room. I personally think it's wrong that they force each adult in a room to buy the package. Not fair for those that have a spouse that doesn't consume alcohol. Makes no sense if they are monitoring the package use by picture when the room card us swiped.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

Couple A buys two drink packages and each of them consume an average of 6 drinks per day on the cruise.

Couple B buys one drink package and shares it, and each of them consume an average of 6 drinks per day on the cruise.

Question- under which scenario does CCL make the most profit?

And that is why every adult in the cabin needs to purchase Cheers.:)

It may depend on the bartender but last cruise a lady told me she would never get it again because of the one hour rule. She could not even get a plain soda before one hour. Another lady stood for an hour in the aft pool holding a shot that she was going to put in her next drink to make it stronger. She was annoyed because she could not just get the extra shot and have it count as 2 drinks.

I think many do not realize all the crazy little rules with Cheers. I don't drink that much and have never gotten it but you learn a lot hanging out at the aft adult pool!

never thought of this....

Couple A buys two drink packages and each of them consume an average of 6 drinks per day on the cruise.

Couple B buys one drink package and shares it, and each of them consume an average of 6 drinks per day on the cruise.

I can only guess you would also dissuade a single cruiser from doubling up with another passenger in their party illustrating which would make more $$ for the company.

It is up to the passenger to pay as little as possible for the best accommodations/ product.

It is up to the company to charge as much money for the least cost of service.

When the customer is trying to illustrate how to make the most money for any business, I do nothing but scratch my head.

I can only guess you would also dissuade a single cruiser from doubling up with another passenger in their party illustrating which would make more $$ for the company.

It is up to the passenger to pay as little as possible for the best accommodations/ product.

It is up to the company to charge as much money for the least cost of service.

When the customer is trying to illustrate how to make the most money for any business, I do nothing but scratch my head.

That's what you get for jumping into a conversation and taking one little piece of it out of context;). The conversation that I've been participating in revolves around the issue of both adults being required to purchase Cheers and the 15 drink a day limit. I was demonstrating why CCL wants both adults in a cabin buying the package, so it was from CCLs point of view, not a customer's.

(And for the record your guess would be wrong, if passengers can be booked into cabins to save themselves money more power to them {such as mom being in one cabin and dad being in another}). The remaining two paragraphs I agree with provided it is understood that for the passenger to save money that it be done in accordance with the rules.

That's what you get for jumping into a conversation and taking one little piece of it out of context;). The conversation that I've been participating in revolves around the issue of both adults being required to purchase Cheers and the 15 drink a day limit. I was demonstrating why CCL wants both adults in a cabin buying the package, so it was from CCLs point of view, not a customer's.

Can you explain how the sleeping arrangements would affect this? If these two hypothetical couples arrange to have the drinkers in one cabin and the nons in the other and don't switch, how is that any different other than where you lay your head? They are now in full compliance according to you but it doesn't increase or decrease the amount the cruise line takes in. If Guest services will switch this for you, and I'm sure they know why people are doing it, then you are working harder than they are to defend that position.

If CCL doesn't care, why do you?

Can you explain how the sleeping arrangements would affect this? If these two hypothetical couples arrange to have the drinkers in one cabin and the nons in the other and don't switch, how is that any different other than where you lay your head? They are now in full compliance according to you but it doesn't increase or decrease the amount the cruise line takes in. If Guest services will switch this for you, and I'm sure they know why people are doing it, then you are working harder than they are to defend that position.

If CCL doesn't care, why do you?

What did I say that indicates that it concerns me:confused:? If people can do this and CCL doesn't care I most certainly don't.

Edited by sparks1093

I just need to read this forum and see the threads created on a daily basis to exactly understand why Carnival enforces the policy of making every adult in the cabin purchase. Of course no one here would share if the policy was changed. :cool:

Edited by Steve Dore

(And for the record your guess would be wrong, if passengers can be booked into cabins to save themselves money more power to them {such as mom being in one cabin and dad being in another}). The remaining two paragraphs I agree with provided it is understood that for the passenger to save money that it be done in accordance with the rules.

Sorry, but if that's their only requirement, and I can book anyone I wish I to any room, and I can drink 15 drinks daily, not my problem.

They are actually banking on non drinkers and people falling off the early week heavy drinking activity. Again, not my problem but the algorithm they came up with. And keep tweeting by cause they just can't quite figure it out.

Such a far cry from before their monopoly, where you could just freely take your own booze on board. The ship is a hotel with bars, not one big bar.

How easy is it to make up a doctor's note? And then where do you draw the line? Yes, CCL used to make exceptions but my guess is that too many people took advantage of it so they had to stop. The few ruining it for the many.

The rules stated that the letter had to be on proper letterhead paper (which mine was). Yes, it would be possible for someone to create one that looks authentic, but I doubt too many people would bother or even knew of the exception unless it actually pertained to them. Even if this was the case though, I can't imagine someone would fake having autism in person once they got on board. Going one step further, I also had plenty of other medical records which included his multiple diagnoses and medications as well as the physical medications. These are obviously not something that would be fake. As I said, I do understand the rationale for the rule, but I think not allowing obvious reasons for exceptions is just plain wrong. For me personally, it would probably cost more to buy the package than to buy the drinks individually, but I feel very strongly about the principle of discontinuing allowing exceptions.

Sorry, but if that's their only requirement, and I can book anyone I wish I to any room, and I can drink 15 drinks daily, not my problem.

They are actually banking on non drinkers and people falling off the early week heavy drinking activity. Again, not my problem but the algorithm they came up with. And keep tweeting by cause they just can't quite figure it out.

Such a far cry from before their monopoly, where you could just freely take your own booze on board. The ship is a hotel with bars, not one big bar.

Of course they are banking on that, they don't expect everyone to drink 15 drinks a day:). There are probably not that many parties where the cabins can be assigned that it works out to the passenger's benefit which is why CCL doesn't care (and as I said, if one can arrange things that way good for them).

But to reiterate the specific statement that I was addressing in the first post of mine in this thread that you quoted was "I personally think it's wrong that they force each adult in a room to buy the package. Not fair for those that have a spouse that doesn't consume alcohol. Makes no sense if they are monitoring the package use by picture when the room card us swiped." In response to that specific statement I demonstrated why each adult booked into a cabin is required to purchase Cheers because it is in the company's best interest to require it.

The rules stated that the letter had to be on proper letterhead paper (which mine was). Yes, it would be possible for someone to create one that looks authentic, but I doubt too many people would bother or even knew of the exception unless it actually pertained to them. Even if this was the case though, I can't imagine someone would fake having autism in person once they got on board. Going one step further, I also had plenty of other medical records which included his multiple diagnoses and medications as well as the physical medications. These are obviously not something that would be fake. As I said, I do understand the rationale for the rule, but I think not allowing obvious reasons for exceptions is just plain wrong. For me personally, it would probably cost more to buy the package than to buy the drinks individually, but I feel very strongly about the principle of discontinuing allowing exceptions.

You underestimate the lengths people will go to in order to drink cheaply. I am nothing but sympathetic for you since I have a son with autism myself (fortunately high functioning). And yes, there are conditions where it should be obvious to the most casual observer that the person in question shouldn't be drinking, but CCL doesn't appear to want their crew making those types of descions or determinations. Still comes down to the few ruining it for others.

The hotels I stay at(and yes these hotels have bars), allow me to bring my own liquor to the room.

Couple A has only one drinker between them but are told they have to pay for both of them. Couple A decides not to purchase and only buys a few drinks on the ship for their trip.

Couple B decides to smuggle alcohol on do the the cheers policy of having to purchase two cheers packages even though only one drinks.

Hypothetical couple C- buys one cheers package under carnivals hypothetical new rule that one person in the cabin not all can now purchase the cheers package.

Question-Under which scenario does Carnival make the most profit?:)

The hotels I stay at(and yes these hotels have bars), allow me to bring my own liquor to the room.

so does carnival.

you just can't bring any on the ship but once on, you can order whatever bottles you want and you can even get room service to bring them to you. Drink them in your room if you choose to.

:D

If a hotel did not let you bring alcohol in the room and that was important to you, you would choose a different hotel.

Carnival rules. Play by them or choose another that fits your concepts. I think Disney lets you bring on alcohol.

Couple A has only one drinker between them but are told they have to pay for both of them. Couple A decides not to purchase and only buys a few drinks on the ship for their trip.

Couple B decides to smuggle alcohol on do the the cheers policy of having to purchase two cheers packages even though only one drinks.

Hypothetical couple C- buys one cheers package under carnivals hypothetical new rule that one person in the cabin not all can now purchase the cheers package.

Question-Under which scenario does Carnival make the most profit?:)

And CCL doesn't care about Couple A, they are still making money off of them (Cheers isn't designed to work for everyone after all).

Couple B is breaking the rules and probably would break the rules regardless.

Couple C won't exist because if CCL allowed only one adult to purchase the package Cheers sales would drop because most couples would buy just one and share it (in other words they would be Couple B in my example).

I love Carnival but I don't see why people are more interested in making them money than saving some of their own

I don't know that there is anyone on this thread that is interested in making CCL money. There are people that are attempting to look at it from CCL's point of view in order to understand why things are the way that they are.

I love Carnival but I don't see why people are more interested in making them money than saving some of their own

personally I am not interested in carnival making money. I just want to see people stop breaking rules because it eventually ends up hurting the people who follow the rules by carnival raising prices and changing their rules to be more restrictive for everyone.

breaking the rules ultimately hurts the people who don't break rules so it matters

I do switch back and forth, but mostly vodka! And isn't 32- 1 oz . Shots approx.The same as 22- 1.5 oz. LOL.

You are correct they are 1 liter.

1 oz isn't a shot. Its a "pony".

1.5 oz 80 proof liquor = 0.6 oz alcohol

4 oz 30 proof wine = 0.6 oz alcohol

12 oz 10 proof beer = 0.6 oz alcohol

So a $80 liter of liquor is $3.55 per "drink". A lot cheaper than cocktails from a bar and even cheaper than beers from a bar. OTOH if you buy Cheers and drink, for example, 10 mixed drinks for about $90 and tip extra so your total tips that day are $13.50 not just $7.50 then your total cost is $63.50. Not as cheap as a bottle in the room from Funshops, but, IMHO, more fun.

You underestimate the lengths people will go to in order to drink cheaply. I am nothing but sympathetic for you since I have a son with autism myself (fortunately high functioning). And yes, there are conditions where it should be obvious to the most casual observer that the person in question shouldn't be drinking, but CCL doesn't appear to want their crew making those types of descions or determinations. Still comes down to the few ruining it for others.

I think we'll have to agree to disagree. I just don't see people creating medications & pharmacy labels or medical records. I don't think Carnival does either because when I questioned them on this, I was told that they while they realize my son can't drink alcohol, he would still be able to use the package to order sodas so it wouldn't be a waste. And that was before the new add-ons of the specialty coffees etc. However, although it didn't pertain to me so I can't verify, I understand that they also used to allow pregnancy with proof as an exception as well. Now that's something I think people probably could come up with fake proof for. Perhaps Carnival lumped both situations into one medical exception rule and that's where they may have figured there were statistically too many people asking for exceptions. As you said earlier, it's too bad that a few unscrupulous people probably ruined it for those that should truly be exempted.

I'm sorry to hear about your son. It's a rough life that only people dealing with it can truly understand.