Recently diagnosed type 2 diabetes. What do I eat?

PoppyandNana

A couple idea of drinks instead of beer and most frozen drinks.

Tito's Vodka with club soda and extra lemons or limes (depending on your preference).

Mojitos - most mojitos contain simple syrup (liquid sugar) however you can ask your bartender to make it with less simple syrup. It is a little tart this way but you get used to it.

If you are craving a frozen drink, ask for a frozen mojito (again with less simple syrup). This is a great alternative to most frozen drinks plus you will be walking around with a cool looking frozen green drink and everyone will ask you what you are having.

All of these are included in the classic beverage package!

The above is so TOTALLY true. Please don't think it's OK to eat things just because they are marked "sugar free".

Don't forget that sugar free does not mean Calorie free

J.

Have a 12 day cruise coming up. Concerned with diet. I'm addicted to X's waffles and used to have them every morning. Of course followed by burger, fries and a beer for lunch followed by several pina colodas. Brief rest then dinner. Oh forgot the specialty coffee with a handful of chocolate chip cookies.

I said used to. Now what do I do? Tempted to just eat whatever, whenever and worry about the consequences when I get home. A1C only 7.2.

What do the rest of you in this situation do?

You have to change your diet the Waffles have contributed massively

To your condition, I was diagnosed with type two and totally changed my

Diet , lost 3 stone and now have fantastic sugar counts.

I still eat well when cruising but am careful about sweet things,

A ton of great advice in this thread. Yes, be aware that sugar free and no sugar added get swapped around a lot but those who don't know. Ice cream made with artificial sweeteners rather than natural sugar still has some sugar from the milk in it. It is all about moderation, education and self-discipline. I am going on 17 years now with no real issues so I am one of the lucky ones who has a great coach (my endocrinologist), a supportive family and just a little big of good sense. Life is so worth living and enjoying so changing my diet a bit is just not a big deal.

My husband was diagnosed with Type 2, ten months ago. His A1C was 8.2. He did not go on meds. He completely changed his diet and has, so far, lost 50 pounds. His blood tests last week were WONDERFUL! His A1C is currently 5.8! The doctor is amazed.

He counts carbs...no more than 40-60 carbs per meal and 20 per snack. Only protein & veggies for dinner. NO rice, pasta, potatoes, white bread, crackers, etc. Obviously, no candy, cookies, cake, etc. He was never a soda drinker, so that's not an issue.

He also stays away from high glycemic foods such as, bananas, pineapples, orange juice, etc.

Of course, he cheats on occasions (holidays, vacations, birthdays, dinners out), but he does not go overboard.

When he does have too many carbs, he drinks apple cider vinegar and a cinnamon pill. They slow down the digestion of the carbs, so that your glucose doesn't go up so fast.

Also, he is much more active. He is very determined! Good luck...you can do it!

My husband was diagnosed with Type 2, ten months ago. His A1C was 8.2. He did not go on meds. He completely changed his diet and has, so far, lost 50 pounds. His blood tests last week were WONDERFUL! His A1C is currently 5.8! The doctor is amazed.

He counts carbs...no more than 40-60 carbs per meal and 20 per snack. Only protein & veggies for dinner. NO rice, pasta, potatoes, white bread, crackers, etc. Obviously, no candy, cookies, cake, etc. He was never a soda drinker, so that's not an issue.

He also stays away from high glycemic foods such as, bananas, pineapples, orange juice, etc.

Of course, he cheats on occasions (holidays, vacations, birthdays, dinners out), but he does not go overboard.

When he does have too many carbs, he drinks apple cider vinegar and a cinnamon pill. They slow down the digestion of the carbs, so that your glucose doesn't go up so fast.

Also, he is much more active. He is very determined! Good luck...you can do it!

Well done him

Losing weight ,exercise and good diet are great ways to control type 2.

My medication has been halved and I don't take another med at all.

You have to change your diet the Waffles have contributed massively

To your condition, I was diagnosed with type two and totally changed my

Diet , lost 3 stone and now have fantastic sugar counts.

I still eat well when cruising but am careful about sweet things,

It is interesting that you are the only contributor to this thread who resides in the UK.

I assume that our blood tests results are quoted differently. Last year I was considered to be ' Borderline' diabetic at 48. I had another test and I had gone down to 43. I was sent to a dietician as I am also Lactose intolerant. They concentrated on the Lactose element, but told me be careful to not eat more than 2 servings of fruit per day. I said what about '5 a day' and was told to concentrate on more vegetables.

I also am a T2 diabetic-- one who's last A1c was 5.3. :)

As much as I love doctors, many general practitioners know very little about diabetes-- even the so called "nutritionists" will recommend a diet far too high in carbs than what most T2s can manage. I recommend reading the forums at the American Diabetes Association website to find out how real people are successfully managing the disease. Personally, I follow a low carb moderately high fat diet. I've lost 70 pounds and achieved that normal A1c. But I've been really disciplined about it. I also religiously test my glucose levels fasting, one and two hours after every meal so I know what the food I ate is doing to my levels.

There's plenty of low carb food on a cruise ship. A dessert certainly isn't off limits for me, either. But I have to choose-- what I can't do is eat carbs for breakfast, lunch and dinner and not see a bad impact.

Best of luck, enjoy the cruise and manage your health. You can do it all!

That's fantastic! Yes, a low carb/moderately high fat diet is the perfect diet for diabetes. The medical community needs to catch up on what really works.

Have a 12 day cruise coming up. Concerned with diet. I'm addicted to X's waffles and used to have them every morning. Of course followed by burger, fries and a beer for lunch followed by several pina colodas. Brief rest then dinner. Oh forgot the specialty coffee with a handful of chocolate chip cookies.

I said used to. Now what do I do? Tempted to just eat whatever, whenever and worry about the consequences when I get home. A1C only 7.2.

What do the rest of you in this situation do?

We can accommodate most special dietary requirements in our main dining room where there is a greater degree of control over the production and service of special meals. Unfortunately, due to the limitations of the Specialty Restaurants' galleys, we cannot customize the offerings in these locations.

With advance notice, we are able to accommodate a diabetic diet. To submit your request, please contact our Access Department at (866) 592-7225.

wow! so celebrity really reads these cruise critic posts. i think they're interest in what passengers have to say is marvelous. and i liked their response here.

if i were you, i'd always ask your server for what you really want and see if they can meet your request. there are always alternatives to your first choice.

OP, congrats for being concerned about your health and thinking about dealing with your diabetes before going on your cruise.

I'm also T2 and thought I'd share some things that have helped me have wonderful cruises and still stay consistent with my diabetes care.

~ I don't drink alcohol, so that helps.

~ We usually book an aft cabin so we have to do alot of walking. That, plus excursions, has kept me active enough that I don't have to go to the gym.

~ I like to have a big salad for lunch, often with some grilled chicken or salmon on it, without croutons. I use olive oil and vinegar for dressing and ask for it on the side.

~ Rice and pasta really raise my sugar, but baked potatoes are better. I eat the potato skin for added fiber. No carbs in butter and very few in sour cream.

~ Eat a nice juicy hamburger without the bun.

~ And, on advice from my doctor and nutritionist, eat carbs earlier in the day and very little in the evening. They affect blood sugar more when eaten later in the day.

On my last cruise, my sugars were very stable and my A1C that was done shortly after the cruise was lower! I just ate sensibly, had a few desserts, and walked alot.

Have a great cruise!!

We can accommodate most special dietary requirements in our main dining room where there is a greater degree of control over the production and service of special meals. Unfortunately, due to the limitations of the Specialty Restaurants' galleys, we cannot customize the offerings in these locations.

With advance notice, we are able to accommodate a diabetic diet. To submit your request, please contact our Access Department at (866) 592-7225.

The menus in the MDR have symbols to indicate food content :

Dairy free

Gluten free

Sugar free

Vegetarian

OP, congrats for being concerned about your health and thinking about dealing with your diabetes before going on your cruise.

I'm also T2 and thought I'd share some things that have helped me have wonderful cruises and still stay consistent with my diabetes care.

~ I don't drink alcohol, so that helps.

~ We usually book an aft cabin so we have to do alot of walking. That, plus excursions, has kept me active enough that I don't have to go to the gym.

~ I like to have a big salad for lunch, often with some grilled chicken or salmon on it, without croutons. I use olive oil and vinegar for dressing and ask for it on the side.

~ Rice and pasta really raise my sugar, but baked potatoes are better. I eat the potato skin for added fiber. No carbs in butter and very few in sour cream.

~ Eat a nice juicy hamburger without the bun.

~ And, on advice from my doctor and nutritionist, eat carbs earlier in the day and very little in the evening. They affect blood sugar more when eaten later in the day.

On my last cruise, my sugars were very stable and my A1C that was done shortly after the cruise was lower! I just ate sensibly, had a few desserts, and walked alot.

Have a great cruise!!

Great advice! Yes, potatoes are better than rice & pasta and exercise (walking) is a great help.