Anthem of the Seas - Dress Code

Can someone please offer guidance on the dress code for the Anthem. Can men wear dress shorts in any of the venues?

Also. What is the appropriate accepted dress for men in the Grand. I know jackets are required but does one have to wear dress pants and a long sleeve button down shirt. I had hoped to,avoid this restaurant but based on the reviews it appears this is the only one with decent food.

Thanks in advance.

Can someone please offer guidance on the dress code for the Anthem. Can men wear dress shorts in any of the venues?....

The cruise line requests no shorts in the dining venues in the evening.

We were on Anthem a few weeks ago. Dress code is very casual everywhere. We saw people dressed to the 9's and some people in jeans. Although the Grande does require a jacket, we did see some gentlemen with jackets but wearing jeans and dress shoes.

The dress code for The Grande is relaxed on the first night and the last night (no jacket required), so this is when we made our reservations. They will provide a lender jacket for those who didn't pack one (and you can take it off and hand it from the back of your chair during the meal)

On our sailing, we did see numerous men turned away from The Grande for wearing shorts on the first and last nights.

Edited by DonnaK

The dress code for The Grande is relaxed on the first night and the last night (no jacket required), so this is when we made our reservations. They will provide a lender jacket for those who didn't pack one (and you can take it off and hand it from the back of your chair during the meal)

On our sailing, we did see numerous men turned away from The Grande for wearing shorts on the first and last nights.

This is great to know...thank you!

The cruise line requests no shorts in the dining venues in the evening.

We saw men in dress shorts almost every evening in any of the dining venues on Anthem. Dress was very relaxed and casual........of course, The Grande is the exception where a jacket is required to get in (except on the first and last nights). Once seated, you can remove the jacket. So, my question is........why bother with the jacket??:D

Edited by cruisenfever

We saw men in dress shorts almost every evening in any of the dining venues on Anthem. Dress was very relaxed and casual........of course, The Grande is the exception where a jacket is required to get in (except on the first and last nights). Once seated, you can remove the jacket. So, my question is........why bother with the jacket??:D

Patti, maybe I'm wrong about Anthem? Do they even ask for no shorts in the dining venues in the evening?

Yes, many men did push the envelope by wearing shorts to the three more casual restaurants on Anthem, including dress jeans. Shorts DID look out of place......most wore Kackies (sp) or dark pants with polo's or Caribbean type shirts.

The Grande is supposed to be dressier. Hope it's kept that way. On our sailing, service and food were the worst in Grande, the best in Chic.

Can someone please offer guidance on the dress code for the Anthem. Can men wear dress shorts in any of the venues?

Also. What is the appropriate accepted dress for men in the Grand. I know jackets are required but does one have to wear dress pants and a long sleeve button down shirt. I had hoped to,avoid this restaurant but based on the reviews it appears this is the only one with decent food.

Thanks in advance.

That is FAR from a universal opinion. :rolleyes:

Patti, maybe I'm wrong about Anthem? Do they even ask for no shorts in the dining venues in the evening?

Not that we were aware of.

Dag! I just looked at the Anthem Cruise Compasses and they do NOT have the usual "no shorts" warning for the dining venues! :eek:

Thought I'd follow this thread b/c I'm thinking of booking Anthem. Have never sailed Royal, only NCL & Carnival so far. We are NOT dress up type people. Khaki's and polos for DH, casual skirts for me. Would that be acceptable everywhere besides the Grande?

Or do I scrap my thoughts of booking Anthem all together?

Thought I'd follow this thread b/c I'm thinking of booking Anthem. Have never sailed Royal, only NCL & Carnival so far. We are NOT dress up type people. Khaki's and polos for DH, casual skirts for me. Would that be acceptable everywhere besides the Grande?

Or do I scrap my thoughts of booking Anthem all together?

You would be fine with what you describe.

When I go to Royal's website it only specifies "smart casual" but if I go under my reservation it has specific details for all restaurants (except Grande):

WHAT TO WEAR

• Skirts or pants (with no holes, rips or tears) and a sweater or blouse are appropriate for women.

• Pants (with no holes, rips or tears) and a sports shirt (must have sleeves) or sweater are appropriate for men.

• Swimsuits, robes, bare feet, tank tops, baseball caps and pool wear are not allowed in the main restaurants or specialty restaurants at any time.

• T-shirts, shorts and flip-flops are not allowed in the evening hours but are acceptable for lunch.

Dress was very relaxed and casual........of course, The Grande is the exception where a jacket is required to get in (except on the first and last nights). Once seated, you can remove the jacket. So, my question is........why bother with the jacket??:D

Exactly. The Grande "formal" dress code is a total joke. No ties or dress shirts (or tuxes or suits) are required for men; they don't even have to show up with a jacket. Just grab a loaner and then hang it off the chair. What is the point?

And on our sailing at least, there was nothing special at all about the food or service in Grande that warranted a "formal" dress code. In fact, the service was harried, and a couple of our dishes were inedible.

So should I have our three boys (12,14, and 17) wear pants to dinner each night? They intended on wearing khaki shorts to the casual dinner venues. As far as the Grande, they do not own suite jackets! I really don't want to buy them for this one dinner - they will grow out of them before its time to wear them again! I was going to have them wear khaki pants w a nice shirt / tie. Advice, please???

So should I have our three boys (12,14, and 17) wear pants to dinner each night? They intended on wearing khaki shorts to the casual dinner venues. As far as the Grande, they do not own suite jackets! I really don't want to buy them for this one dinner - they will grow out of them before its time to wear them again! I was going to have them wear khaki pants w a nice shirt / tie. Advice, please???

They should wear the khaki pants to dinner every night, as the cruiseline asks. They might be able to get away with wearing shorts, but I saw men in shorts turned away.

For The Grande, no jacket required on the first or last night, so make your reservations for those nights. Or, the restaurant will lend jackets.

Edited by DonnaK

My two cents..........no flaming please.

You have the perfect opportunity to show your young men how to DINE and behave which will carry them into the future. One day they will attend a wedding, a funeral or a job interview.

We raised two boys and I know how you feel as we also did not have the funds. Their first dress up was a family wedding. I bought them jackets at the Goodwill and a thrift store. They got so many compliments on how nice they looked in their jacket and tie. It was a real ego and confidence booster for them. They were age 4 and 10. You will most likely find jackets for $5 to $10.

Just a thought. Have a great cruise:)

They should wear the khaki pants to dinner every night, as the cruiseline asks. They might be able to get away with wearing shorts, but I saw men in shorts turned away.

For The Grande, no jacket required on the first or last night, so make your reservations for those nights. Or, the restaurant will lend jackets.

We never saw anyone, male or female, turned away from Silk, Chic or American Icon, for wearing shorts during our 34 days on board. It wasn't even listed in the Daily Cruise Compass about shorts not being allowed in those dining venues.

We did, however, see a gentleman denied access to Silk because he had on shorts and a tank top.

My two cents..........no flaming please.

You have the perfect opportunity to show your young men how to DINE and behave which will carry them into the future. One day they will attend a wedding, a funeral or a job interview.

We raised two boys and I know how you feel as we also did not have the funds. Their first dress up was a family wedding. I bought them jackets at the Goodwill and a thrift store. They got so many compliments on how nice they looked in their jacket and tie. It was a real ego and confidence booster for them. They were age 4 and 10. You will most likely find jackets for $5 to $10.

Just a thought. Have a great cruise:)

Another option, which worked for us, is ask around to their friends. Sometimes they have a jacket you can borrow for the cruise.

For my son, we always had him wear pants to dinner. He put them on right before leaving the cabin, and took them off immediately after dinner. One or two pairs for the week and you are good. My son actually likes to dress up on cruises now as he had gotten many compliments through the years.