Booked a balcony room with 3 people and one person cancels??

This is a pure hypothetical, but something I am thinking about because I am slightly worried. If we are book in a balcony stateroom with 3 people staying in it, and one person cancels, how does that affect the price for the other two if the cruise has already been paid in full? Do the other two owe more to the cruise line because it is one less person now?

The price for the first two should not change at all.

However, they could make you move to a stateroom that only holds two. Unlikely, but it could happen.

Edited by clarea

That's good to know. We are booking a Harmony Balcony Room. They have no Harmony Balconies available for two people, but they have rooms for 3. The price is pretty good considering it's a new ship ($4k for 3 people). So we have a 3rd person who is willing to go, but they are tentative. They are willing to pay now, and if they have to cancel we will just pay them their share. Just want to make sure we wouldn't lose the room if that happened.

That's good to know. We are booking a Harmony Balcony Room. They have no Harmony Balconies available for two people, but they have rooms for 3. The price is pretty good considering it's a new ship ($4k for 3 people). So we have a 3rd person who is willing to go, but they are tentative. They are willing to pay now, and if they have to cancel we will just pay them their share. Just want to make sure we wouldn't lose the room if that happened.

If they cancel before final payment and it is a US booking, they will get their money back.

They will still get their money back even if they have paid in full prior to the final payment date of the cruise.

It would be past the final payment date. I am not asking if they will get their money back. I am asking if we would owe anything additional if 1/3 people canceled past final payment date.

Edited by Doc2725

It would be past the final payment date. I am not asking if they will get their money back. I am asking if we would owe anything additional if 1/3 people canceled past final payment date.

If it is past final date it is their responsibility - either pay you out for their fare or use their insurance. A good rule is to have cancellation insurance by the time final payment date arrives.

As I said, there is a small chance you would be asked to move, even less so if it's after final payment date. Even though there may not appear to be any 2 person balconies available, you never know the whole story with stateroom inventory.

If it is past final date it is their responsibility - either pay you out for their fare or use their insurance. A good rule is to have cancellation insurance by the time final payment date arrives.

I just want to know if I would owe anything to the cruise line if this happened, that's all I am asking.

If the cruise line tries to increase the price of the first 2 when you call to cancel the 3rd just leave the 3rd on the reservation and have them not show up to the pier.

In our past experiences, cabins are booked double occupancy. Meaning a PP charge of say $1200 cruise is really $2400 for the cabin. Many lines that do not cater well to singles actually charge that full rate. Adding a third or fourth person to the cabin is usually at a very reduced rate. So if you have already paid in full for three I would believe with one dropping out, you would be looking at a $300-$400 reduction on that final payment amount.

Check your booking confirmation. Rates for each passenger should be clearly listed.

Dan

I investigated a similar situation for one of our bookings last year, ended up not having to make the change but when I indicated that we would be dropping from 3 to 2 in the balcony RCI was very excited to move me from the 3 pax cabin to a 2 pax cabin that would trigger a reprice and end up costing more for 2 passengers in the new cabin than 3 in the old cabin.

My plan was to not cancel the 3rd and just show up at the pier as 2 passengers, ended up not mattering as the 3rd did not cancel but it was frustrating.

Not sure if they would have pushed or backed off if I had gone through with the cancellation but it was not a conversation that made me glad to be an RCI customer either way.