Haven Upsell.....told nothing available?!

ksmcdonald

I just called the upsell department for an upsell to a Haven on our June 5th Breakaway cruise. I currently have a balcony guarantee booked.

When I go on line to do a mock booking, there are (9) H9's, (4) H7's and (2) H5's available.

They told me that there was not anything available in the Haven's. And that if I was interested in upselling to a Mini Suite, that could only be done the week before sailing. I am currently 19 days out.

Has anyone ever gotten a response like this, when there are obvisouly rooms to be upsold? They currently have 148 unsold available cabins total for the ship (inside up to Haven). Why would they tell me nothing available. Is it because maybe this is a first time NCL cruise for us? Totally confused!

Has anyone ever gotten a response like this, when there are obvisouly rooms to be upsold? d!

Yes, it means they're not available for upswell yet. NCLs policy is don't call us we'll call you. So by calling them now you've reached them when they're not upwelling your cruise yet.

I just called the upsell department for an upsell to a Haven on our June 5th Breakaway cruise. I currently have a balcony guarantee booked.

When I go on line to do a mock booking, there are (9) H9's, (4) H7's and (2) H5's available.

They told me that there was not anything available in the Haven's. And that if I was interested in upselling to a Mini Suite, that could only be done the week before sailing. I am currently 19 days out.

Has anyone ever gotten a response like this, when there are obvisouly rooms to be upsold? They currently have 148 unsold available cabins total for the ship (inside up to Haven). Why would they tell me nothing available. Is it because maybe this is a first time NCL cruise for us? Totally confused!

Although there are rooms available, there may not be any upsells available for your cruise. If they are close to maximum capacity, due to 3 and 4 in many staterooms, they will try to see if they can sell whatever available staterooms at the going rate.

Although there are rooms available, there may not be any upsells available for your cruise. If they are close to maximum capacity, due to 3 and 4 in many staterooms, they will try to see if they can sell whatever available staterooms at the going rate.

This.

I called one week and they told me there wasn't anything available, when clearly there were cabins available. I called the next week and they were ready to upsell. Just give it time. And no, it doesn't have anything to do with you being a first time customer. This is my 2nd NCL cruise.

Yes, it means they're not available for upswell yet. NCLs policy is don't call us we'll call you. So by calling them now you've reached them when they're not upwelling your cruise yet.

The policy "Don't Call Us, We Will Call You" must mean that they only upsell based on how many cruises you've taken with NCL? Obviously they don't call all 4,000 people, is it just luck of the draw or do you have to meet a certain criteria to be lucky enough to get a call?

This makes much more sense if that is the case.

Never thought that they would be close to maximum capacity when I see 148 empty cabins that I am able to select when doing a mock booking.

when they mean they have not opened up that sailing as of yet.

From most reports upsells usually start 2-3 weeks prior to the sail date.

There is a difference between upsell and an upgrade. You can pretty much upgrade any time...

While they do sometimes tell you to wait to see if you get a postcard from them, but that is why you should call. They obviously do not contact every passenger.

They are not a big group and often I get the same person when I call. I only call weekly until I get to 3 weeks, and then I start calling daily.

My recommendation is to be very nice and professional, and do not take up much of their time. They will ask for your booking number and then check if the sailing is open yet to upsells. They will come back with either the dreaded, nothing available or not open yet, or give you a offer. Some people balk at the offer and get a lower offer right away. But once you accept you are on the hook...

Again, you will spend more time waiting for them to answer than it takes them to check on it and get back to you. Be patient.

Your sailing should be opening any day now. Have you checked ot see what Haven categories are still open?

Currently they have

6 H4 suites

3 H5 suites

7+ H9 suites

5 H7 suites

Honestly I would be calling every day.

That is exactly what I was thinking, surprised they have that many left with only 19 days. I'll call again tomorrow!

some say you can balk at the price and have had success getting it lowered. However, I got my upsell last week, and was so please to even get it I jumped on it at the price offered.

Actually they offered me a choice for the same price....for either a Courtyard Penthouse or a Haven Spa Suite. I took the Penthouse.

When I got it, there were only 4 suites still unsold

I just did one at 31 days out and I called them. They have their own rules about when they will upswell. You can't really tell what will cause they to finally pull the trigger. But I don't think you should wait for them to call you because they may never call. It just takes a combination of persistence and luck.

FWIW I called 25 days out for a GTY upsell on the GA and got an H6. Not sure what their policy is. I have read opinions on when to call from way out to just the last week. I thought what the heck why not. Got lucky I guess.

BTW 3rd time cruising on NCL.

ksmcdonald - I would call back to see if there is anything available.

I'm sailing on the Breakaway on 6/12 and was able to upsell twice. Once to a forward facing penthouse, and then again to a deluxe owners suite.

GOOD LUCK!!! :)

ksmcdonald - I would call back to see if there is anything available.

I'm sailing on the Breakaway on 6/12 and was able to upsell twice. Once to a forward facing penthouse, and then again to a deluxe owners suite.

GOOD LUCK!!! :)

Really?!!! And my cruise is the week before yours! I did call this morning, do you think I should call twice in one day? I looked online and it looks like most of the Haven's are sold on your cruise.....go figure :cool: my cruise still has lots.