Review Carnival Ecstasy 4/25/16

VolzCruiser

Review Carnival Ecstasy April 25th

This cruise review is how I perceived things and may not be how others perceived them. Both my DW and I are both Platinum cruiser and know what to expect on a Carnival Cruise.

Pre Cruise

My DW and I decided that since our cruise left out of Charleston we would spend a few days ahead of time enjoying the sites, food and shopping that she has to offer. We left at 4 on the Thursday before and drove about halfway. Got up the next day and got into Charleston.

While in Charleston we stayed at Sleep Inn in Mount Pleasant which is just across the Bridge from Charleston. We stay here because they had a stay and leave your car for 5 days deal going on. The hotel was a Sleep Inn nothing too fancy but it was very clean and the staff was helpful and friendly. I would stay here again. You had to get your own transportation over to the cruise port and the cost was about $16 through Uber, not too bad in my opinion.

In Charleston there is so much to do and you can’t get it done in two and half days. What we did do was Fort Sumter, Shopping on King Street (what I mean by we shopped it was my DW went shopping and I found a bar and had a couple of drinks), City Market, Blessing of the Shrimp Fleet, Boon Hall Plantation, and had some wonderful meals. I would advise anyone to check out these restaurants for lunch or dinner Hominy Grill, Fleet Landing, Paige’s Orka Grill and Melvin’s BarBQ and for breakfast Charleston Café.

Day 1 Embarkation

As I mentioned previously we had to find our own transportation to the cruise terminal and was advised by the front desk of our hotel that Uber would be the way to go. Since I have used Uber before no big deal. We got up and a decent time went and had breakfast at the Charleston Café back to the room to check out and head to the terminal. We contacted Uber at 10 till 11 and was at the terminal with bags unloaded at about 11:15. The cost was about $16. Once we got to port there was a line waiting to board the buses that would take us to the port. After 5 minutes we were on a bus and headed to the security and check in lines. We quickly went through the Security line and Check in was fast and efficient. At this point we were asked to wait due to the ship wasn’t ready to accept new passengers. I would say that we waiting no more than 10 minutes. So by about 11:45 we were on the ship and looking to start our cruise.

After a stop at the Excursion Desk we went to our Stateroom and dropped off our carry on. So we are off to get some lunch and plan some things for the rest of the day and explored the ship. Since I have been on this ship before it did have some of the new things such as the Blue Iguana or the Red Frog Bar. All of the new additions are quite nice and it makes the ship feel a more up to date with some of the other ships. We did a few things throughout the day and got ready for the Muster Drill.

I have never complained about a Muster Drill due to how important they are but on this cruise it seemed that Carnival didn’t really know what they were doing. What in my opinion should have taken just a little bit of time took way to long and it appeared the crew really didn’t know how to do their jobs with keeping everything orderly and quite so you could hear the announcements. They also didn’t seem to know where cruisers should be going (this seemed to be an issue throughout the cruise and will discuss more about later). Once we got through the muster drill the ship set sail.

Dinner in the Main Dining room the first night seemed to have some of same type of issues we noticed with the Muster Drill, that things were a bit off. While service this night was okay it really seemed that the staff had tunnel vision and couldn’t get past what they were doing right then and look around and see what the guest is needing. We had to ask for our beverages to be refilled. They got us our food but didn’t come back to make sure everything was okay until they brought the next dish and never checked back once the main course was served. My wife had to ask the bar waitress if she could bring over some sour cream for her potato. We chalked it up to being the first night and went on to enjoy our evening.

Day 1 Sea Day

There really isn’t much to say about the first Sea Day other than everyone was out at the pool and you really couldn’t find anywhere to sit until after lunch. Which might have been a good thing because I think it helped preventing us from getting burned. Outside of not getting a place to lay out until later the day was really relaxing.

Dinner at the Main Dining room this evening was a complete disaster. When we showed up we had about a 10 minute wait, which I expected due to it being formal night and I figured everyone would eating in the Dining Rooms. We got seated and then waited for 20 minutes for anyone to greet us. When they did greet us the wanted to take the whole order they hadn’t even asked us what we wanted to drink. I asked them to please bring us our drinks and we would order once they got back (boy was that a mistake). No one got back to use for another 15 minutes. We have now been sitting with for 35 minutes without drinks. With a lot of time on my hands since I didn’t have anything to drink or eat I got to pay attention to what is going on and I could see that the serving staff didn’t handle things that weren’t apart of their script very well. If you didn’t get sat within the first few moments of the dining room being opened you had to wait until the wait staff got the main course out to those they had already taken the order. Once those were out then the wait staff took care of rest of the people in their section. Things did get better until the staff need to get deserts for the people who were sat first and again the drought of service happened again. Again I chalked this up to maybe being a very busy night went on to enjoy my evening.

After the issues with dinner My DW and I decide to change out of our nice attire and just try to find something enjoyable to do. Once I got back to my stateroom I noticed that our bathroom really had the smell of sewage and the water had a brown tint to it. I contacted my cabin steward and he looked into it. We left and enjoyed some of the shows and found most of them quite enjoyable. Once we got back to the Stateroom to retire for the evening the tinted water was gone but not the smell. I reached out to guest services to see if we could get someone to bring an air freshener and of course they asked why and I explained. They said they would see what they could do. No one ever showed up. We just closed the door and went to sleep.

Day 2 Nassau

We have been to Nassau a few time and decided that we really didn’t want to do an excursion and all we wanted to do was a little bit shopping and have some fresh Conch. Which we were able to do without much trouble. We ate at Bahamian Cookin’ which is right near the Straw Market. I had the Cracked Conch and my DW had the Conch Fritters both were excellent and plentiful. Service was great as well. I would recommend this to anyone and will go back again if in the area.

After our leisurely lunch and shopping back to the boat, after a quick change of clothes off to pool and hang out. With everyone out enjoying Nassau we pretty much had the pool to ourselves. I decided to order a Mojito and was informed they were out of mint no big deal and ordered a beer (this will come up again). After relaxing in the sun and enjoying or afternoon it was time for a nap and get ready for dinner.

So after naps we decided to get ready for dinner and it appeared that someone had come to look at our bathroom. The smell had gone away and the water was clear in our toilet once again but in doing so it appears the messed up the shower head and the part that keeps the shower head up. So I had to take my shower holding the shower head to rinse off my hair and body from the soap. Not the end of the world just another small thing to have to get fixed. So after getting ready and heading to dinner I alerted my cabin steward to the latest issues and asked him to look into it.

Dinner in the Main Dining room again was pretty much the same as the first two night and we just chalked it up to maybe the Ecstasy was a training boat. We could not believe that service was this bad but we let it ride thinking it would get better.

Day 3 Half Moon Cay

For my DW and myself this why we book this cruise and didn’t let us down. We had booked a Cabana and were on the first tender to island. The water was crystal clear and weather couldn’t have been better. I was a day to relax and just enjoy a place you don’t get to go to everyday. We did get a cabana near the end of the line just to stay out of the crowds. Still out of mint so no Mojito for me but that was okay. I think we might have been on the last tender back we loved it so much we didn’t want to leave.

Once back in for the day the sewage smell was back so I think they are having some issues with the sewage system on the Rivera Deck because we smelled it walking down the hall in a couple of other areas.

Since dinner for the last few days had really been horrible we decided to just eat on the lido.

Day 4 Day at Sea

Not sure if it was due to a lot of people got burned up in Half Moon Cay but the pool area wasn’t so busy that you couldn’t get a lounger and we did and just rested. It was at this time that I was offered a Dirty Mojito which is a regular Mojito but using spiced rum. I did order one and it was very good but I couldn’t quite figure out how for the last two days they didn’t have mint but they did today. I guess this is when I decided that enough was enough and headed to guest services with my list of issues. I asked to speak to the Maitre D and the Bar Manager. I got to have a chat with the Maitre D and explained what my issues where and he of course apologized and said they would be corrected but that night at dinner it wasn’t much better. I really do think this is a training cruise. My conversation with the Bar Manager was what can be expected and the excuse was that no one informed him that there wasn’t any mint and he apologized for the trouble.

That night we packed and got ready for the long drive home the next day

Day 5 debarkation

We had decided due the fact we had a long drive that we would do self-assist. We got up got ready and headed to the ship’s library to be told to when we can get off the ship, since they cannot announce it over the PA system. We were off the ship by 7:30 it was quick and easy.

To summarize:

Cabin Steward - Excellent

Bar Staff - not so good

Wait Staff- Horrible

Ship – Needs to get into a Dry Dock and get some repairs in

Cruise over all – I enjoyed my cruise and would do it again in a heartbeat. I now know what to expect so I can set my expectation level to match.

Food – It taste good it was always a bit cool do to the dysfunction of the wait staff.

Charleston – One of the best cities to cruise out of in my opinion while the cruise port is lacking the city itself makes up for it.

The staff in general just didn’t seem to have everything down to Carnival’s high standard and hopefully they will get to that level.

Thanks for the review. We go out on her in a little over a week from Charleston. I do have a few things....

1. If you waited 20 minutes for someone to come to your table, why not go ahead and order your food and drink together, rather than waiting for your drink to order your food? (Serious question, not trying to be a smarta**. )

2. Which cabana did you book? We have a cabana and I want to get probably #12 or so, far away from everyone.

3. I have read in numerous places that the Ecstasy IS in fact, a training ship. You nailed that one.

4. You mentioned in your followup that it needed to hit the drydock or something. I did read it's scheduled for drydock in January. Hopefully she gets some good upgrades.

Thanks for the review. We go out on her in a little over a week from Charleston. I do have a few things....

1. If you waited 20 minutes for someone to come to your table, why not go ahead and order your food and drink together, rather than waiting for your drink to order your food? (Serious question, not trying to be a smarta**. )

2. Which cabana did you book? We have a cabana and I want to get probably #12 or so, far away from everyone.

3. I have read in numerous places that the Ecstasy IS in fact, a training ship. You nailed that one.

4. You mentioned in your followup that it needed to hit the drydock or something. I did read it's scheduled for drydock in January. Hopefully she gets some good upgrades.

We didnt order because we were hoping to maybe restart the dinner and every thing would be fine from there. Valid question no smàrt ass detected.

We actually had Cabàna 12. Close the bathroom and the lunch with out being to close.

Can you elaborate on the embarkation process in Charleston? Just wondering why you had to take a bus? Thanks!

The Charleston port is one the oddest I have ever left from. Thet have everyone get on a bus from a spot near thé parking lot. Drop off your luggage get on a bus and ride it abot a half block away to the entrence. It must be saftey and flow control.

I knew that if you drove your car and parked in the lot, you have to get on a bus to get to the terminal. Are you saying that if you get dropped off at the pier, you still have to get on a bus to get to the terminal?

We are flying in, so we will be getting dropped off. But DDs will be driving to Charleston and trying to figure out the best way for them to get to the ship. there are 9 children between the two of them. I thought a park and cruise at some hotel, but if they still have to lug kids, luggage and strollers onto another bus, it makes me exhausted, just thinking about it.

the process at the parking lot sounds complicated as well. It's one thing when it's just a couple but with all those munchkins I don't want them discouraged before they even start!!

any suggestions?

I knew that if you drove your car and parked in the lot, you have to get on a bus to get to the terminal. Are you saying that if you get dropped off at the pier, you still have to get on a bus to get to the terminal?

We are flying in, so we will be getting dropped off. But DDs will be driving to Charleston and trying to figure out the best way for them to get to the ship. there are 9 children between the two of them. I thought a park and cruise at some hotel, but if they still have to lug kids, luggage and strollers onto another bus, it makes me exhausted, just thinking about it.

the process at the parking lot sounds complicated as well. It's one thing when it's just a couple but with all those munchkins I don't want them discouraged before they even start!!

any suggestions?

We cruised on the Fantasy from Charleston in February and did a park and cruise package. The transportation from the hotel dropped us off at a white tent where I think two lanes of traffic were allowed to go through for taxi and drops offs. Our luggage was unloaded and we walked a few steps to board a 25 passenger shuttle that dropped us off at the entrance to port and check-in. The shuttle pulled out on the main street, went down the street a bit and then back in to the port. Weird....but seemed to work efficiently with crowd control and safety.

It was fast, efficient and it took 45 minutes from the time we left the hotel to being on the ship. Granted, we got the first shuttle from the hotel at 11 a.m. :D

Edited by SSuitepea

any suggestions?

Yes if you get dropped off, you will go to the same line and board the same bus as those who park their car. I wouldn't get discouraged by any means while different it is very orderly and there are plenty of people around to help you.

Edited by VolzCruiser

Love that power T! We're boarding Monday, ready to go! Is there food and drink on Half Moon Cay? Also, is the Hub App available on the Ecstasy? And, if it was, can you communicate with people that are not on the ship?

Thanks, Go Vols!

Love that power T! We're boarding Monday, ready to go! Is there food and drink on Half Moon Cay? Also, is the Hub App available on the Ecstasy? And, if it was, can you communicate with people that are not on the ship?

Thanks, Go Vols!

Thank you love the T as well

They have a huge outdoor kitchen that they prepare hamburgers, Cheese Burgers, Hotdogs, chicken, and some sides. There are atleast a couple of bars but plenty of servers going up and down the beach to take care of your drink needs.

The hub app wasn't available while I was there but that was almost a month ago and maybe they have it now.

Edited by VolzCruiser

Thank you love the T as well

They have a huge outdoor kitchen that they prepare hamburgers, Cheese Burgers, Hotdogs, chicken, and some sides. There are atleast a couple of bars but plenty of servers going up and down the beach to take care of your drink needs.

The hub app wasn't available while I was there but that was almost a month ago and maybe they have it now.

My guess is that the HUB will hit the larger ships first and then migrate down to the smaller ones in the Fantasy class. I've not downloaded it, but if you look at the description in the App Store you can see which ships have it.

I used the $5 a day social media package on sea days and it was absolutely wonderful! I used twitter and facebook mostly to keep in touch with home and was able to do voice calls through there as well. Video wasn't as great. And, iMessage was also available if you have an iPhone.

If anyone has any questions please I will be glad to answer.

Did you have set dining or anytime? I have found the waiting and service issues with anytime but not with set dining. Just wondering if my experience was the same as yours.

We cruised on the Fantasy from Charleston in February and did a park and cruise package. The transportation from the hotel dropped us off at a white tent where I think two lanes of traffic were allowed to go through for taxi and drops offs. Our luggage was unloaded and we walked a few steps to board a 25 passenger shuttle that dropped us off at the entrance to port and check-in. The shuttle pulled out on the main street, went down the street a bit and then back in to the port. Weird....but seemed to work efficiently with crowd control and safety.

It was fast, efficient and it took 45 minutes from the time we left the hotel to being on the ship. Granted, we got the first shuttle from the hotel at 11 a.m. :D

can you tell me what hotel....we are going for new years and plan on staying in hotel day before we board

Did you have set dining or anytime? I have found the waiting and service issues with anytime but not with set dining. Just wondering if my experience was the same as yours.

We had Anytime Dinning. I haven't done Assigned Dinning since Anytime Dining came around.

can you tell me what hotel....we are going for new years and plan on staying in hotel day before we board

We stayed at Holiday Inn Express Hwy 17 & I-526. Found their rates went up a bit for our fall 2016 cruise, so we are at the Best Western Sweetgrass. There's a nice thread in the east coast departures that has a lot of info on the hotels.

Someone asked about using the social media package to connect with home, and yes.....it was quick to text, sending and receiving images took a little longer and voice chatting was decent. I used Facebook and Apple iMessage the most.

We had Anytime Dinning. I haven't done Assigned Dinning since Anytime Dining came around.

I see from your signature you've only cruised Carnival. We've cruised with 6 lines and I will say that Carnival and maybe RCCL have the worst anytime dining. Princess does it very well and NCL invented it and does it best. This is why I say this, anytime staff is typically spread too thin, but so is the set staff, The difference seems to be the set staff learns preferences quickly and is able to anticipate more easily. In any case expand your horizons. There are some excellent experiences out there. :)

I see from your signature you've only cruised Carnival. We've cruised with 6 lines and I will say that Carnival and maybe RCCL have the worst anytime dining. Princess does it very well and NCL invented it and does it best. This is why I say this, anytime staff is typically spread too thin, but so is the set staff, The difference seems to be the set staff learns preferences quickly and is able to anticipate more easily. In any case expand your horizons. There are some excellent experiences out there. :)

Those are good points but I really wasn't trying to compare it to what I get in a upper tier restaurant on land. I was comparing it to the other Anytime Dining I have had on other Carnival ships.

We noticed the chaos in the MDR too. I asked for coffee and never got it. Usually the head waiter remembers your name, not this time. Plus, the dancing waiter thing just made everything more confusing. We were crammed so tight around the table we couldn't pull our chairs up to the table. The service in the MDR was so bad we just ate the buffet the last 3 nights of the cruise.

There seemed to be a lack of waiters walking around the ship. This was the cheapest cruise I ever took (Yes, I'm too lazy to walk to the bar. Lol).

I went to the Red Frog Bar to get a glass of draft Red Frog and they were out. How do you not have your signature beer? Plus the only draft beer was Lite! (Not a fan of anything Lite/Light)

I looked forward to the Bloody Mary's in the morning on Lido deck. This time around they were only average. Vodka and Bloody Mary mix. Usually chose of Hot sauce, black pepper, horseradish, etc..

The halls from our rooms had that sewer smell. Not the rooms, just the halls.

However, it wasn't all bad. Our room steward (Jackson) was great!! He came to our rooms twice a day, and quickly handled any special requests.

Overall we did have a good time, and the shows (musical/comedy) were lots of fun. The food was great and the staff was polite and fun. Carnival just needs to take care of the small stuff.