1st time cruiser with a 2 yo and infant

sunflowers524

I've never taken a cruise before, and need recommendations for a nice cruise with my husband and our current 2 yo and 8 mo for the summer. I was considering Disney cruise but it's so expensive, unless lots of people here recommend it. We'll be leaving from NYC. Any and all recommendations appreciated. My 2 yo is a VERY ACTIVE toddler!!! Thanks in advance.

Disney IS very costly! Most ships don't offer nursery or childcare for under 3...but I believe Carnival, and some of the larger RCI ships do...if that is something you'd like to use at times!

Be aware that most ship cabins have only showers, so you will need a blow up tub for the baby! Also useful for "splashing" on the pool deck, as most ships do NOT allow diapers of any kind in the pools! Not even "swimmies"!

You will need to bring any and all baby paraphernalia , as the ship sells nothing pediatric...no medications or diapers, etc....so make sure you bring what you need! They do have cribs or P&P's and high chairs, tho!

Driving to Bayonne would certainly be easy for you, and Anthem of the seas does have a nursery (hourly fee) and a little circular area by the pool that has an inch or water for diapered babies to splash around in. Maybe your two year old will be potty-trained by the cruise. I think it depends what your expectations are for a vacation. I have cruised with an active toddler and an infant. It's hard with a toddler for sure. The babies will love the ship- they will probably sleep really well too. However, it's not like sitting by the pool with a cocktail reading a book. It's running after an active child. If it's going to stress you out being in a small cabin with two babies- I'd say go to a resort instead.

Edited by rebeccalouiseagain

Cunard's kids club starts at 2, and they sometimes sail from NYC.

If you are considering the Anthem, please also be careful in selecting an itinerary since children need to be at least 1 to sail on a RC cruise that has 3 consecutive sea days. The NY to Caribbean cruises generally have 3 consecutive sea days on their return. You'd be fine sailing to Bermuda. You might want to consider waiting until next year, when the 2 year old will be eligible for the kids club on Anthem, since it might be hard to coordinate two nursery placements during the summer.

The good news is that you have never cruised before so you won't miss lounging around with a fruity drink in your hand! I think the Anthem 5 day would be a good starter cruise. They have the infant splash zone. You can hire some childcare if you want an adult evening and there is lots to do in the port area, including a small beach with amenities. Bermuda is beautiful and easy to get around as well, but there are few other ports that offer what Bermuda does right at the port.

There is lots of great advice on the Family Boards. I think the most important for me would be a front to back stroller, as side by side is too difficult to get through the cooridors and impossible to fit through the cabin door and a small blow up tub for the shower floor for bathing. Hopefully your older child can sleep on the couch or the floor, as there is not room for two pack and plays. We always took a small camping pad. You can preordered diapers or bring your own. There is lots of kid friendly food on board, but you may want a small good grinder and definitely whatever sippy cups you use.

Have fun. We loved traveling as a family even when the kids were little and now do it with our grandkids.

I recently took my first cruise with my mom, 2 year old and 7 month old. We did Disney and it was amazing! 4 months later and I still can't stop talking about it. Disney

was great for us because there were

so many children everywhere I

never felt awkward having my two

year old running around or the baby

throwing food in the dining room.

I was ready to book another one immediately. After looking at different options we decided to book on Allure. I'm a little nervous that nothing can compare to our Disney cruise but the more I read about it the more excited I get.

I think cruising in general is great with kids. Once on the ship you don't have to worry about getting in and out of the car and where to go.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

I must be in the minority of people who hated Disney cruise line, but my then 4 year old had a blast so it was worth it for his sake. I guess a cruise, IMO, should be about the entire family and I think Royal Caribbean is a great choice for families. It's not a "kiddie" ship, but it there are areas where children can run around, have fun and make noise without it being a problem.

Did your 2 year old have any issues with being in the cabin? What size cabin did you have? I'm really afraid that my 2 yo, who is extremely active and loves to run around, will feel claustrophobic in the cabin and freak out.

Where did your 2 yo sleep?

I must be in the minority of people who hated Disney cruise line, but my then 4 year old had a blast so it was worth it for his sake. I guess a cruise, IMO, should be about the entire family and I think Royal Caribbean is a great choice for families. It's not a "kiddie" ship, but it there are areas where children can run around, have fun and make noise without it being a problem.

May I ask why you hated Disney line? Just curious...

I recently took my first cruise with my mom, 2 year old and 7 month old. We did Disney and it was amazing! 4 months later and I still can't stop talking about it. Disney

was great for us because there were

so many children everywhere I

never felt awkward having my two

year old running around or the baby

throwing food in the dining room.

I was ready to book another one immediately. After looking at different options we decided to book on Allure. I'm a little nervous that nothing can compare to our Disney cruise but the more I read about it the more excited I get.

I think cruising in general is great with kids. Once on the ship you don't have to worry about getting in and out of the car and where to go.

Did your 2 year old have any issues with being in the cabin? What size cabin did you have? I'm really afraid that my 2 yo, who is extremely active and loves to run around, will feel claustrophobic in the cabin and freak out.

Where did your 2 yo sleep?

She is very active (wild) and she was fine in the cabin. We had a balcony and she loved to go out on it. To be honest we weren't in the cabin that much other than nap time and bed time. We just did the four night so we only had one day at sea. And I took her to any activity that I could.

She slept on the pull out couch with a toddler rail. I was really nervous about it because she's still in a crib at home but she did great and never got out. She was so tired each night she happily went to bed.

What line you prefer depends on your preferences and budget. If money is no object then Disney will fit the bill. Nice line with lots of families RCCL. Upscale line with a few families, Princess. Almost no families but more upscale Holland America or Celebrity. Flexibility, NCL. Kids club required for 2 year old, Carnival.

Research is your best friend as only you know what interests your family. Your library will have or can order for free typically, a cruise guide book that will give you details. The overviews here on the site will help you as well. I recommend certain cruises for certain people and limiting your option to new York will likely limit you as well. I'd start with who is sailing out of your local port the month you want to sail and go from there.

I was on the Disney Wonder. Pros- crew and staff couldn't have been nicer. Our balcony stateroom was large and pretty. The youth program was fun for my son. Cons- cruise was boring for me. The pool area was claustrophobic. Because I limit the amount of soda my son drinks- I didn't like the all you can drink soda machines. Made it hard for him to resist. The food (I didn't try the specialty restaurant) was horrible. The dining rooms were always noisy and chaotic. The buffet area was small and the food was sub-par. I tried this for my son, who as I say had a blast.

Edited by rebeccalouiseagain

I, too, am taking a (super active) 2-year-old and infant (10 months at the time of sailing) on their first cruise! We're taking the Norwegian Dawn out of Boston for a week or so in October. Balconies are around $1200 on BestPriceCruises, I think. We booked an interior cabin, but I wake up at night worrying about being trapped in that little box... so I think we'll upgrade to a balcony.

My husband and I have sailed Norwegian before we had kids. It seemed like there was a lot by way of kids' clubs and activities for them. The shows aboard the ship were incredible and the cruisers / crew were very friendly! Princess had slightly better food, but was more adult in general - not to mention pricier. (Princess was our honeymoon cruise!)

Keep us posted how it goes!

I, too, am taking a (super active) 2-year-old and infant (10 months at the time of sailing) on their first cruise! We're taking the Norwegian Dawn out of Boston for a week or so in October. Balconies are around $1200 on BestPriceCruises, I think. We booked an interior cabin, but I wake up at night worrying about being trapped in that little box... so I think we'll upgrade to a balcony.

My husband and I have sailed Norwegian before we had kids. It seemed like there was a lot by way of kids' clubs and activities for them. The shows aboard the ship were incredible and the cruisers / crew were very friendly! Princess had slightly better food, but was more adult in general - not to mention pricier. (Princess was our honeymoon cruise!)

Keep us posted how it goes!

Just so you know, the clubs are for kids 3+, and there are no splash areas for diapered children. I'd definitely get a balcony.

• 3 months later...
Just so you know, the clubs are for kids 3+, and there are no splash areas for diapered children. I'd definitely get a balcony.

Thanks..

I guess I was referring to the Guppies program, really.

https://www.ncl.com/why-cruise-norwegian/family-cruises/youth-programs

I would have liked to delay our cruise by a year, but we're going with a group for a special occasion, so we're just trying to prepare ourselves mentally for a wild ride, ha ha. We did bite the bullet and pay the extra grand for a balcony room - I imagine I'll be spending a LOT of time out there, praying the kids will close their eyes and rest!

Thanks..

I guess I was referring to the Guppies program, really.

https://www.ncl.com/why-cruise-norwegian/family-cruises/youth-programs

I would have liked to delay our cruise by a year, but we're going with a group for a special occasion, so we're just trying to prepare ourselves mentally for a wild ride, ha ha. We did bite the bullet and pay the extra grand for a balcony room - I imagine I'll be spending a LOT of time out there, praying the kids will close their eyes and rest!

Keep in mind that only the Escape has a nursery.

I sailed NLC last year with my super super super active then 2 year old daughter. We did a 4 day on the NCL sky from Miami. We were in a ocean view stateroom. At years old she was too young for the organized kids club activities; however she could go into the playroom whenever it was open for free play, parents are required to stay during free play with their little ones two and under. She had a blast playing when she could in the play room, people watching on the pool deck and splashing in the toddler pool. There were also toys we could borrow from the kids club. She napped during the day in our room before dinner. I packed an umbrella stroller to use in port and around the ship.

There was no need to bring a blow up pool to bathe her in as there was a hand held shower head that worked just fine. I packed a few sand toys for beach days, a small blanket from home and a few pull-ups (she was potty trained...for the most part).

The ship wasn't overly crowded and there were several kids her age or younger.

I've never taken a cruise before, and need recommendations for a nice cruise with my husband and our current 2 yo and 8 mo for the summer. I was considering Disney cruise but it's so expensive, unless lots of people here recommend it. We'll be leaving from NYC. Any and all recommendations appreciated. My 2 yo is a VERY ACTIVE toddler!!! Thanks in advance.

Carnival leaves from NYC and takes children into kids camp starting at 2. They change diapers too! There is no additional cost. They also have a time most days when children under 2 can come with a parent to play.

• 3 weeks later...

Just got off from my first cruise and we brought our there kids. Ages 2,4 and 12. My 2 yr old is a very high energy kid. We sailed the carnival sunshine to Bermuda. The great thing about the carnival is it's very family friendly. Plus they have a kids club that starts at age 2 so you can enjoy a little you time while they have a great time. I dropped my kids off twice a day for about a hr each day and they had the best time doing activities. We all shared a ocean view room. They brought us in a twin roll out bed. I wasn't sure how my 2 yr old would sleep in it but he was so tired from all the activities he fell right to sleep.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk