Miami Hotel (?) - The Mutiny

Mango Mike

Looking for a hotel for 1 night (pre-cruise) for next January, except this cruise is a bit different, flying in/out of FLL but cruising out of POM.

Normally, we cruise out of Port Everglades, fly in/out of FLL so stay in hotels in and around Fort Lauderdale, etc.

Since we're cruising out of POM, we thought it would be different to stay somewhere closer to that port (renting a car by the way). The Friday night/South Beach party atmosphere doesn't appeal to us so wanted to stay away from that area but I did find a pretty good deal on a place called "The Mutiny" in the Coconut Grove area.

Anybody know anything about this place?

You wouldn't need to rent a car if you stayed downtown / Brickell area. Shuttle directly to Hampton Inn in Brickell from FLL. Great location for restaurants and stores for last minute items, people mover a block away, big free breakfast and less than 10 min. from your ship in the morning. Unless you have a particular activity you're planning that is a distance away, I wouldn't bother with the car. It's a $20 per person shuttle from FLL directly to your hotel. We were happy with QLS. But there are others. Under $20 cab ride to the port in the morning.

Looks like a nice spot in Coconut Grove. Condo hotel with room and a kitchen if you need it. You'll probably be a 20-25 min. or more ride from the port.

Edited by eandj

Looking for a hotel for 1 night (pre-cruise) for next January, except this cruise is a bit different, flying in/out of FLL but cruising out of POM.

Normally, we cruise out of Port Everglades, fly in/out of FLL so stay in hotels in and around Fort Lauderdale, etc.

Since we're cruising out of POM, we thought it would be different to stay somewhere closer to that port (renting a car by the way). The Friday night/South Beach party atmosphere doesn't appeal to us so wanted to stay away from that area but I did find a pretty good deal on a place called "The Mutiny" in the Coconut Grove area.

Anybody know anything about this place?

It is an AMAZING hotel in a great area! Very close to CocoWalk and tons of shopping and diningwithin very close walking distance. Also, there is a Publix right there . Or walk down the sidewalk to Montys along the bay. Excellent choice.

Coconut Grove is such a gorgeous place! You'll be thrilled you picked it!

Edited by BlueHerons

Thanks for the replies.

Definitely renting a car though (always have - always will) tend to frequent the same spots for dinner and breakfast (stuck in a rut) so taxi's can get to be "costly", plus we like to sight see quite a bit.

My only "problem" with this place is, they charge for parking. It seems almost every hotel or resort in Miami/Ft. Lauderdale charges for parking (unless it's a lower end "chain" type - i.e. Motel 6). Why is that? Here in the "good old midwest" (tongue in cheek - I actually hate it here), there's not one hotel I can think of that charges for parking -valet parking is even free (except for tip). Must be due to the wide open spaces (corn fields ya know).

Thanks for the replies.

Definitely renting a car though (always have - always will) tend to frequent the same spots for dinner and breakfast (stuck in a rut) so taxi's can get to be "costly", plus we like to sight see quite a bit.

My only "problem" with this place is, they charge for parking. It seems almost every hotel or resort in Miami/Ft. Lauderdale charges for parking (unless it's a lower end "chain" type - i.e. Motel 6). Why is that? Here in the "good old midwest" (tongue in cheek - I actually hate it here), there's not one hotel I can think of that charges for parking -valet parking is even free (except for tip). Must be due to the wide open spaces (corn fields ya know).

The answer is because they can. The cost of real estate influences the parking charges. Beach hotels in Fort Lauderdale and South Beach are sitting on very expensive real estate. We have also seen the same thing at beach hotels in Hawaii, the Virgin Islands, etc. and hotels in big cities like NYC, LA, etc.

Thanks for the replies.

Go for cocktails and dinner at Jaguar and then over to Green Street for a late-night cocktail and people watching.

Edited by brunello22

The answer is because they can. The cost of real estate influences the parking charges. Beach hotels in Fort Lauderdale and South Beach are sitting on very expensive real estate. We have also seen the same thing at beach hotels in Hawaii, the Virgin Islands, etc. and hotels in big cities like NYC, LA, etc.

Makes sense. I'm guessing it might also be due to very limited space. Why build parking structures (liitle/no revenue) when you can build hotels, restaurants, offices, etc. (major revenue).

Just a major difference from what we're used to seein' up here.

Thanks for the replies.

Get out of your rut and eat like a Coconut Grove local!

We have zero space left and what space we have is at a premium. You will not find free parking anywhere but a Publix any longer. There aren't even any new subdivisions because we have no space. We have the hard line for the Everglades to the west, the Atlantic to the east and south, and people to the north.

Go for cocktails and dinner at Jaguar and then over to Green Street for a late-night cocktail and people watching.

Yes, this! Also, walk over to Coco Walk! It is such a great area you'll be thrilled you decided to stay there. Really beautiful.

Edited by BlueHerons

Thanks for the replies.

We are in the " midwest." (Wi) All the larger city hotels here charge for parking. We take the train to Chicago because parking is $45 a night at our "usual" hotel. Two nights there pays for train tickets. Downtown Milwaukee charges $18-25. Even the popular Madison and Green Bay charge from $12 and up. Not sure where you are . :confused:

That's why I suggested not renting a car when finding a hotel with a great location.

It is an AMAZING hotel in a great area! Very close to CocoWalk and tons of shopping and diningwithin very close walking distance. Also, there is a Publix right there . Or walk down the sidewalk to Montys along the bay. Excellent choice.

Coconut Grove is such a gorgeous place! You'll be thrilled you picked it!

Is "The Mutiny" the same hotel/condo I frequented during the 70's? They had a private club which was the in place to go. Left Miami area in 1987 and visited Monty's post cruise a few years ago. What a lovely place it has become since we left town. Really enjoyed lunch by the water.

I guess downtown has really changed for the better over the years. Have read some great reviews on boards. We stayed in Miami Springs our last cruise from Maimi on Reflection. DH worked at MIA and I lived in Miami Springs for years so we were visiting our roots. That area certainly has changed.

You give very good advice as I have been following your posts for some time.

Thanks for the tips - looks like a pretty nice area. Took a "drive" in and around Coconut Grove thanks to Google Earth Street View. Not sure if I want to let my wife loose in Coco Walk though!!!

Thanks for the tips - looks like a pretty nice area. Took a "drive" in and around Coconut Grove thanks to Google Earth Street View. Not sure if I want to let my wife loose in Coco Walk though!!!

VERY nice area! Single family homes start in the low millions and go up to about $40 million dollars. People are shocked that a 1,000 sf home can be a million dollars.